Orchard Road TMD - BR Blue - The Story Continues

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos showing recent finished Cambrian Dogfish wagons, destined for Burrington Arms, but making a temporary stop at Orchard Road. Couplings to be added (Sprat and Winkles) and fit correct diameter wheels.

The wagons have been sprayed dark olive (Railmatch aerosol) and weathered with acrylics, with a little weathering powder.

post-7854-0-49575500-1321116992.jpg

post-7854-0-28786300-1321116999.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi

Although Orchard Road is currently packed away, I did have a bit of a running session over the Christmas break, with a new addition - a second Bachmann 37. I have started the weathering and will post some photos next time I get Orchard Road erected.

Myself and my son have made a start on a new layout - which will be his own. Not much to show at the moment, we've only made the boards and cut the wood for the legs. Hoping to get the legs finished tomorrow.

Hi Richard,

I'm waiting with baited breath for the postie to drop my copy of the Hornby magazine through our letterbox.

I really hope that they do justice to your modelling skills with the feature.

It's been a long wait buddy, but it'll all be well worth it when you finally see it in print.

All the very best & I'll see you on Tuesday night ( I'll be the one wanting an autograph! )

Cheers,

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Looks great mate, Well done. Unfortunately my St Budoc in RM was edited for the small space supliment. All the best Andy.

Thanks Andy. I was a little unsure whether I had written enough or whether it would be edited, but was left more or less as I had typed it. Good spread of my photos as well!

I can only second this it's a really good read !! big thumbs up I never realised how small the layout dimensions are well done

Thanks CG. Glad you enjoyed reading the article. It is difficult to know what to write sometimes to keep it interesting and not repeating too much what has been done before.

Interesting to see that the layout was smaller than you thought! I wanted to create a sense of space and not be too cramped. Looks like that has been achieved.

Good to see the pics in Hornby mag looks good ,the detail shows up well especialy in the shed.

Thanks Imsforever.

Getting decent shots inside the shed is not easy - my DSLR is a little large to get too close and little trial and error to get the shot required (composition and lighting).

Hi,

Nice layout with impressive weathering. I have just fitted a similar style coupling bar to my '03' and I am thinking of converting all my loco's to this arrangement to allow for bufferbeam detail, I am just not sure if it will interfere with shunting moves so intend to do some tests, if all is well I hope to make a jig to bend the wire in a 'one size fits all' type pattern, the height is the only variable - I think at this stage, have you had any problems?

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Nice layout with impressive weathering. I have just fitted a similar style coupling bar to my '03' and I am thinking of converting all my loco's to this arrangement to allow for bufferbeam detail, I am just not sure if it will interfere with shunting moves so intend to do some tests, if all is well I hope to make a jig to bend the wire in a 'one size fits all' type pattern, the height is the only variable - I think at this stage, have you had any problems?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've not experienced any problems so far. Fitting the wire to the 25's etc has been easy, but not so sure how to do the 33 and 37 - may have to drill into the front of the buffer beam and then fold the wire behind to prevent it pulling out - I don't want to rely on glue holding the wire in place. My wires have been bent by eye with the help of a ruler to make them the same - I don't have that many to do, so a jig for me is probably not necessary.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Read the article mate and its fantastic, really nice read ( read it 4 times ) and i love the full length pic of the whole layout, really looks big :)

Thanks Neil.

Was not very easy trying to get the whole layout in the one shot though - my garage is not quite wide enough, plus trying to get sufficient and equal light over the whole the layout was a bit tricky!

• RMweb Gold

yeah i know what you meanim still trying to do that for mine, i managed an overhead shot ballancing one legged on a stool :)

LOL - your Deeping Lane is smaller than Orchard Road !

I think next time I will wait until I'm exhibiting OR!

• RMweb Gold

how did you achieve the ripped up track work and is it OK if i use the sane idea?

Hi James,

The process is quite simple and your are free to copy my method. The photos below explain the sequence.

post-7854-0-33667200-1326914564.jpg

The actual 'operational' track is laid, painted and ballasted. The buffer stop is added and painted.

post-7854-0-38157000-1326914570.jpg

The sleepers are cut from plasticard, wood grain added with a razor saw and then painted. Each is then glued in place. The chairs are actually sliced from Peco flex track, to match the rest of the track.

post-7854-0-97862900-1326914573.jpg

A few weeds and grass added.

post-7854-0-51701600-1326914577.jpg

The buffer stop has been weathered and the whole ripped track has had static grass application - covering most of the work previously completed! I know that it is there!

However, the sleepers etc are still necessary as you can see the sleepers through the grass and of course makes it obvious that the rail has been removed.

post-7854-0-88787400-1326914580.jpg

post-7854-0-69432400-1326914567.jpg

Two recent views showing the complete siding.

I hope that this helps!

Richard

• Like 5