signal box instrument bells,Need some,

mswjr

Search desk bells and mount them on a wooden box and a solenoid striker using a point motor?,

Examples here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/desk-bell

The idea sounds good but I would use a motor rather than a solenoid.  I have pictures of a  12 volt motor with a 13 amp plug earth pin clamped to the armature shaft operating a signal somewhere on this forum.  The motor only turns 180 degrees but if operating a bell, if the bell was struck just before the top of the stroke then gravity would return the striker unlike a point solenoid which would usually need a pulse to return it.  I was working on something similar but lets face it it could drive the neighbours totally nuts with call attention and the rest tinkling across a quiet afternoon.  Mine was going to use Clock Bells of various tones from long dead clocks but push bike bells could be a god substitute.

Alternatively get some WT588 Sound Modules and record your bell sounds (many available on the internet). You just play the bell sounds as required.

No Sorry Meil,I have to have them working,More play value,I am extending in to my workshop,so my railway will be really long,so my original railway will be joining on to my new one,and someone (my mate) will be operating one and me the other,so i want bells to do it properly,  Well thats the plan,

• RMweb Gold

Nice tonal differences in apparently similar instruments

Buy some of those mini clothes pegs sold in craft shops and pop one on one bell like they did in some real boxes to tell them apart ;)

Just remember to take them off when the old hand comes in :)

• Like 1