RMweb

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

I say SWAP Leclerc with Kimi NOW, so that he can get the feel of the Car ready for next year.

Sauber boss Frederic Vasseur has denied that there have been talks about a mid-season driver swap between Charles Leclerc and Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen. Leclerc is to join Ferrari from next season. (F1i.com)

I still think Ferrari will call the shots, especially if Kimi under performs in the next couple of Races. :sungum:

Well I didn't see that coming, great result for Max and so well deserved.

Gutted for Danny R, Valtrie and Lewis,  but a very exciting Race.

Shame the Red Cars finished  :no:  :no:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

So, what are the options for Danny R?

Ferrari have all but committed the second seat to Leclerc, and Valtrie Bottas more that deserves a Two Year Contract after his performance at the weekend and his run of bad luck. 

So the only competitive seat is in the Red Bull, despite NOT knowing how good the Honda Engine will be next year.

So, what are the options for Kimi?

His seat is almost certainy going to Leclerc, Merc will no doubt sign Bottas, and Red Bull will surly get Dannt R's signature for the reasons stated above.

Kimi's performance at the weekend was stunning, and still, at least from that drive, deserves to be in the Red Car, he is still a top 5 Driver, but there isn't any room in a top 3 Team for his considerable tallent. He lies 3rd in the Drivers Championship, and finished 4th last year, he is still quick and fairly consistant, and above all does as he is told by the Prancing Horse management.

EDIT = Oh and he's a miserable sod when interviewed, hahhah.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like a good time for Kimi to bow out/go back to rallying. He's an unusual prospect - a good driver with low ambitions who appears content to be a second driver.

Put Leclerc in the mix and you then have 6 drivers all with ambitions and six seats for them. As such it's hard to see any real alternative. I'm intrigued to see how Leclerc gets on against Vettel, unlike Raikkonen he's clearly going to have something to prove, he's turned in some strong results in the Sauber, so he may put the cat among the proverbial pigeons.

Red Bull meanwhile will continue as a leaderless 3rd place I imagine - neither Max nor Daniel have obvious options elsewhere, just unfortunate being good at a time when there are lots of good drivers. The only saving grace is that Hamilton and Vettel are both older, and thus there's potential for things to move around in a few years. Until then I think he's got to sit tight and hope Red Bull close the gap to Merc/Ferrari.

Good drive by Max yesterday, not a classic race, but interesting enough. Crazy how short that lap is, that Grosjean in 4th got lapped is madness!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The best race so far?

I'd say so. Certainly the only one this year I've actually wanted to watch and not wandered off doing other things. Not the result I was hoping for, but lots of good action, overtakes, unexpected surprises and some very solid drives. Well done Max and Kimi!

Eric Boullier gone over the summer break,       any takers on this bet?

Fernando Alonso will also be on his bike at the same time I recon.

Well that was quicker than expected!

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/23994565/mclaren-racing-director-eric-boullier-resigns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula-one/44708491

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

You know what, the more I think about it the more I think that pit lane exit should be closed during a VSC (if we have to keep VSC in the first place). No car should NEED to dive into the pits as even if the tyres were shot they could circulate in safety at the reduced speed involved. 

• Like 2

You know what, the more I think about it the more I think that pit lane exit should be closed during a VSC (if we have to keep VSC in the first place). No car should NEED to dive into the pits as even if the tyres were shot they could circulate in safety at the reduced speed involved. 

Nice idea Ian, a car could enter for work or to retire, but not leave until the VSC has ended. 

Same for the actual safety car periods possible as well.

No, I don't see that.  A safety car (or VSC) often means debris on the track, and debris on the track often means punctures.  As an actual safety car period can take several laps while the obstruction is removed, it wouldn't be fair for a driver who picked up a puncture at the start of the period to be made to wait until it has finished.

However it happens, the rules on pitting during a safety car are the same for all.  Yes, there is an element of luck in that there's something of a lottery where a given car might be on track in relation to the pit entry when the safety car is first called - or those who have chosen to pit a few laps before an incident.  Maybe such luck evens out over a season.  Let's face it, there will always be luck (I hate the word, perhaps "unforeseen circumstances" might be better) in any racing system - being in the wrong place when another driver decides he's having an accident, being the first to discover oil on the track, etc.

Looking at times when drivers have been advantaged or disadvantaged during SC periods, it seems to be that it is less to do with luck/track position/timing of pit stops than with team awareness and quickness of reaction.  Red Bull seem consistently to make the right snap decisions, especially to pit both drivers on the same lap - certain other teams don't. 

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It's nothing to do with necessity though, it's strategy. But yes, if people think that it's unfair then the pits could be closed when VSC is on. I'm not sure that closing pit exit would really work, VSC can last quite a while, and it's an unknown.

Edit: Eddie's post appeared before I actually got around to pressing submit. You'd have to be able to service a car damaged in an event which led to a VSC, so closing the pits outright wouldn't work, and closing it only to cars that have not been damaged seems woefully complex. As Eddie says 'luck' should even out broadly speaking, and does add a new dimension

Edited by njee20

No, I don't see that.  A safety car (or VSC) often means debris on the track, and debris on the track often means punctures.  As an actual safety car period can take several laps while the obstruction is removed, it wouldn't be fair for a driver who picked up a puncture at the start of the period to be made to wait until it has finished.

However it happens, the rules on pitting during a safety car are the same for all.  Yes, there is an element of luck in that there's something of a lottery where a given car might be on track in relation to the pit entry when the safety car is first called - or those who have chosen to pit a few laps before an incident.  Maybe such luck evens out over a season.  Let's face it, there will always be luck (I hate the word, perhaps "unforeseen circumstances" might be better) in any racing system - being in the wrong place when another driver decides he's having an accident, being the first to discover oil on the track, etc.

Looking at times when drivers have been advantaged or disadvantaged during SC periods, it seems to be that it is less to do with luck/track position/timing of pit stops than with team awareness and quickness of reaction.  Red Bull seem consistently to make the right snap decisions, especially to pit both drivers on the same lap - certain other teams don't. 

Some good points Eddie, I hadn't thought about the Puncture side of thing, what ever happens, no one will be 100% happy if they get it wrong, and the ones that get it right will be 100% happy, so yes, over a season, I guess it evens it self out if the right call is made from the Pit Wall.

• RMweb Premium

Why though?

It's all part of it, again, what about the car that's suffered a puncture? Do you hold them for 20 seconds too, because that's really adding insult to injury. It's just massively complex, and the last thing we need is more complexity in the rules.

• Like 1

If they've got a puncture they'd have lost a lot of places on the track already but possibly less under VAR. The gain under VAR could be more than if the puncture was suffered under normal racing conditions as everyone else is going slower under VAR. So it's not adding insult to injury and the 20 secs should stay. If anything thats an argument to lengthen it in those cases!

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Premium

Eh!?

Someone is driven into and suffers a puncture. There's debris on track, so a VSC is called. The car with the puncture, who's done nothing wrong, limps around to the pits, way off the back. On arrival at the pits they're penalised for pitting under VSC and has to wait 20 seconds. How's that anything approaching fair!? We could add in deployable oil slicks Whacky Races style too!