The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

Why though?

Because a certain German team are useless/ too slow making strategy decisions so it will help a certain driver in a silver car.

It's all part of it, again, what about the car that's suffered a puncture? Do you hold them for 20 seconds too, because that's really adding insult to injury. It's just massively complex, and the last thing we need is more complexity in the rules.

Agreed, some you win and some you lose, unfortunately Mercedes always seem to make the wrong decision.

Formula 1 has been dumbed down over the last decade or so (no refuelling, one make of tyre etc) and if they carry on it will be even more boring than it is now.

Formula 1 has been dumbed down

It was dumbed down when pit stops became an essential part of the "race", it's about racing cars, not about who has the best pit strategy. But unfortunately that's how it's run nowadays. In my view that is not racing.

So yes, I stand by my 20secs. A puncture could be obtained by any number of means and as has happened tyres have punctured by someone else but not had the benefit of the whole field being slowed down. So why should someone get an advantage from the virtual s/c and others not. Close it or put s time penalty in, VSCs should not become part of the race.

• Like 1

I get the impression that in the all-conquering previous few years, Mercedes were so fast that if they did cock up the strategy, they were so quick it didn't matter. Now things are closer, it's showing that they are not the wonder team they appeared to be. Don't get me wrong, they're still doing a damn good job (which made it kinda satisfying to see the car let them down in Austria) but the car isn't quick enough to cover over those mistakes. The silver-wash years were even worse than the Red Bull dominated years in terms of predictability (virtually every weekend another Mercedes win or 1-2, yawn...), at least this year and last year have shaken things up a bit, finally.

Jo

Are there any reliable and free motorsport news sites that don't troll you with videos playing by themselves, pop ups or scrolling ads or scripts that grind your device to a halt? I don't mind adverts, but please, just keep them as pictures you can click! Motorsport.com and crash.net were both previous favourites but both now bombard you with advertising over the content. Crash and ESPN both seem to have videos playing in the background. Not good for data on a mobile device.

The only one that seems to be mobile browser safe these days is BBC F1, Autosport (before the free article limit is reached) and official sites like f1.com, wrc.com etc

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Pitpass.com. I suppose I need to declare the most obscure family connection. It is run by a man whose daughter, put up for adoption when the parental relationship failed, was taken on at age 2 by Sherry and her now-ex. The lady is now 42 and lives in Oz.  

• Like 1

Why is it people seem to hate success, whether it be individual or a team/company. Mercedes are a success and a great team, both now and on the 50s, good for them, would you be so critical if it were Red Bull, Williams, Mclaren, Ferrari or even Cooper?

Where did I say I hate Mercedes' success? I may not have enjoyed the predictability of the previous few years and I may not be a fan of their lead driver, but I did say that Mercedes are doing a damn good job, it's just that the other teams have caught up which means Mercedes can't get away with any boo boos like they could in the past by using sheer pace to catch back up.

I don't like McLaren but I do like Alonso. Does that even it up a bit?

Ian, thanks for the Pitpass tip off

Jo

The comment about a "wonder team" amongst other comments. And your last post confirms it. No need to bridle so much otherwise...

Everyone except their supporters, dislikes dominance, by driver or team, but with F1 it seems we have to live with it. Just don't let it get under your skin, it always comes to an end...

Hopefully, as a Hammy fan, not this season though! ;)

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2

It was dumbed down when pit stops became an essential part of the "race", it's about racing cars, not about who has the best pit strategy. But unfortunately that's how it's run nowadays. In my view that is not racing.

So yes, I stand by my 20secs. A puncture could be obtained by any number of means and as has happened tyres have punctured by someone else but not had the benefit of the whole field being slowed down. So why should someone get an advantage from the virtual s/c and others not. Close it or put s time penalty in, VSCs should not become part of the race.

Perhaps it would be best to do away with drivers 'racing' each other completely and change it to a time trial, that way no cars will get in the way of anyone else and we will see who is the fastest driver/car combination at every track.

Of course arrangements will have to be made if someone has a puncture or breakdown to have another go because that isnt 'racing' either is it?

Bottas will certainly agree with that view! 

Of course before this can be debated we have to agree what 'racing' actually means and I get the feeling we wont even manage that.

Lets get back to the here and now, :O  and the Rules we have, are the Rules we have, and untill that gets changes by Ross Brawn and Co we have to enjoy / not enjoy (delete as appropriate) the Racing for the rest of this year at least. :sungum: 

• Like 1

I don't like McLaren but I do like Alonso. Does that even it up a bit?

I like McLaren but dont like Alonso so I would say we are even.

Although I am starting to warm to Alonso now he is not being excruciatingly serious all the time.

• Like 1

Why is it people seem to hate success, whether it be individual or a team/company. Mercedes are a success and a great team, both now and on the 50s, good for them, would you be so critical if it were Red Bull, Williams, Mclaren, Ferrari or even Cooper?

I always prefer to root for the underdog, so long as it's not Ferrari.

Hence right now I'm rooting for red bull, but back when they were dominant it was the most competitive non-Ferarri team that I wanted to win.

• Like 2

I always prefer to root for the underdog, so long as it's not Ferrari.

Hence right now I'm rooting for red bull, but back when they were dominant it was the most competitive non-Ferarri team that I wanted to win.

Tell Danny R that you're rooting for something and he may take it the wrong way!

• RMweb Gold

This^^^ 

Perhaps it would be best to do away with drivers 'racing' each other completely 

Err yeah, that's sound logic there....

• Like 1