Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

I saw Gil de Ferran drive in the early '90s at Brands Hatch, I think. 

An implausible piece of trivia I got from Wikipedia - de Ferran holds the world record for an average lap speed, set on October 28, 2000, during CART qualifying at California Speedway, at 241.428 mph (388.541 km/h), which is knocking on, but now 18 years old. Perhaps speeds had got too high and measures are in place to hold them down. Certainly at Le Mans, Roger Dorchy's top speed of 250.1mph, (400 kph) in a WM Peugeot in 1980 was the reason for a couple of mean chicanes on the Mulsanne Straight. But measured speeds at Spa this weekend seem well in excess of 200 mph, so there is hope!

My wife said my new Peugeot 308 SW 120 BHP, felt quicker that the Citroen C4 Picasso. :no:  :no:

So, back in the real world, and Ian's question about Williams, I fear it may be, especially with the Loss of Stroll the Sponsor and Stroll the Driver.   O.K. Maybe not the latter. I hope Stroll Jnr does NOT go to Racing Point Force India, they have two of the best Drivers outside the top 6 IMHO.

• RMweb Gold

So, back in the real world, and Ian's question about Williams, I fear it may be, especially with the Loss of Stroll the Sponsor and Stroll the Driver.   O.K. Maybe not the latter. I hope Stroll Jnr does NOT go to Racing Point Force India, they have two of the best Drivers outside the top 6 IMHO.

I think Martini is also calling it quits with Williams at year end?

I think Martini is also calling it quits with Williams at year end?

Yes so like McLaren last year, no Title Sponsor to add money to the pot. And possibly a naked Car next season.

Very difficult times ahead for Frank and Claire Williams.

I also wonder how long the rich heads of McLaren will keep pouring money into the F1 pot, if results don't improve. yesterday showed just how slow they are, when fighting for last place with the Williams. :O  Good job Bottas and the Hulk have Grid penalties. :no:  :no:  :no:

• Like 2

Musical Chairs by next weekend with the movers and shakers.

Sunday, 26 August

Lance Stroll is set to take Esteban Ocon's seat at Force India before the Italian Grand Prix next weekend after scheduling a seat fitting with the Silverstone-based outfit for Tuesday. (F1 Today)

Ocon, though, will not be without a race seat for too long - with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff suggesting the Frenchman could find his way to McLaren this season. (Motorsport.com)

Wolff says "several chess figures" need to be in place to facilitate the moves, with Robert Kubica set to step up to the Williams seat vacated by Stroll for the remainder of the season, leaving current McLaren driver Stoffel Vandoorne without a drive. (Planet F1)

Lando Norris will again feature for McLaren in the opening practice session of next week's Italian Grand Prix at Monza. He made his grand prix weekend debut at Spa on Friday, where he drove Fernando Alonso's MCL33 and outpaced the sister car of Vandoorne. (Autosport)

Pierre Gasly will take over Daniel Ricciardo's simulator duties relating to Red Bull's 2019 programme. (RaceFans)

• RMweb Gold

So I was wrong. Vettel took nearly half a lap to get past! No question which car was the quicker today. But Merc got more team points, thanks to Bottas.

One odd thing. On that first lap, as they headed up to Les Combes, w Vettel doing his overtaking manoeuvre - the Panthers were right with them. As they have Merc engines, is their aero better than the team car's in this configuration? 

• Like 2

Musical Chairs by next weekend with the movers and shakers.

Sunday, 26 August

Lance Stroll is set to take Esteban Ocon's seat at Force India before the Italian Grand Prix next weekend after scheduling a seat fitting with the Silverstone-based outfit for Tuesday. (F1 Today)

Ocon, though, will not be without a race seat for too long - with Mercedes boss Toto Wolff suggesting the Frenchman could find his way to McLaren this season. (Motorsport.com)

Wolff says "several chess figures" need to be in place to facilitate the moves, with Robert Kubica set to step up to the Williams seat vacated by Stroll for the remainder of the season, leaving current McLaren driver Stoffel Vandoorne without a drive. (Planet F1)

Lando Norris will again feature for McLaren in the opening practice session of next week's Italian Grand Prix at Monza. He made his grand prix weekend debut at Spa on Friday, where he drove Fernando Alonso's MCL33 and outpaced the sister car of Vandoorne. (Autosport)

Pierre Gasly will take over Daniel Ricciardo's simulator duties relating to Red Bull's 2019 programme. (RaceFans)

If Ocon is FORCED to go to McLaren, will that knock the stuffing out of him, especially if Stroll starts to beat him?

After a few more entertaining races of late we were back to a relatively boring procession. The 'new' boys did ok but disappointing Ocon was over 8 seconds behind Perez. Bottas not content with starting at the back decided he needed a new nose too but still cruised though the field whilst Verstappen must have wondered where everyone had gone.

Away from the result I wasn't a fan of the halo but seeing the state of Leclerc's after Alonso landed on it has changed my opinion. It would have been his head and as the impact was hard enough to crack the halo what would it have done to him?

• Like 1

a good result from the Boys in Pink.

Good result for Mercedes as well, far better than they'd have expected. Funny how C4's commentators were saying that it was a good result for Ferrari, I suspect the silver arrows team would have been far happier then the red ream...

• Like 1

Yes so like McLaren last year, no Title Sponsor to add money to the pot. And possibly a naked Car next season.

Very difficult times ahead for Frank and Claire Williams.

I also wonder how long the rich heads of McLaren will keep pouring money into the F1 pot, if results don't improve. yesterday showed just how slow they are, when fighting for last place with the Williams. :O  Good job Bottas and the Hulk have Grid penalties. :no:  :no:  :no:

More changes at the top of McLaren.

https://www.pitpass.com/62597/Ojjeh-steps-down-as-director-at-three-McLaren-companies

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ocon confirms to Vettle that he has been DUMPED.

https://www.pitpass.com/62706/Ocon-confirms-Force-India-dumping

Disgusted of Swad. :no:

EDIT = Just lost ALL respect for Stroll Snr.

Just another doting dad pushing his sullen son through a life he may not enjoy. But being a billionaire means he can do it in more style than, say, Lewis’s dad could afford in the early years. And do I not recall that a leading British tennis player has a mother pushing him?

Some of us live our own lives, others live through their kids. Some of us aren’t sure where kids come from!

• Like 1

That was always just a matter of time.

I wonder if he'll embarrass himself in comparison to Perez.

Just another doting dad pushing his sullen son through a life he may not enjoy. But being a billionaire means he can do it in more style than, say, Lewis’s dad could afford in the early years. And do I not recall that a leading British tennis player has a mother pushing him?

Some of us live our own lives, others live through their kids. Some of us aren’t sure where kids come from!

If I had just bought a Team, and was desperate for Points / Prize Money, and you had two of the best drivers outside the top 6, and ones that are more than capable of fighting for a podium, why would you get rid of half the chance.

As you say guys,

yes he will embarrass himself.

yes sullen Son that thinks F1 owes him a top car.

I imagine Stroll snr thinks his son is as good a driver as Ocon is. We'll soon find out if that's true, or just parental bias.

Where next for Williams? Kubica? They need someone with a bit of experience to help with car development, if you ask me. Someone who has at least test driven something good.

I'm just very worried where Ocon's head is this morning, knowing he was fighting for the lead after the start yesterday, and will, (if he goes to McLaren as predicted) will struggle to get into Quali 2, next week.

I personally think, with so much REAL talent coming through, with REAL Drivers, Pay to Drive should be either stopped, or restricted to one per Team.

Also if again as rumoured, Mercedes want to make Force India a No 2 Team, and Ocon is a Mercedes Driver, surly it would make sense to have him in the Team as part of the DEAL, not to discard him as yesterdays talent into the McLaren.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting indeed! Stroll has been largely anonymous this year, but I don’t rate him as a driver. Kubica in the Williams would be good, be a shame for Vandoorne and Ocon if one was dropped and one was ‘demoted’ to McLaren!

Very interesting indeed! Stroll has been largely anonymous this year, but I don’t rate him as a driver. Kubica in the Williams would be good, be a shame for Vandoorne and Ocon if one was dropped and one was ‘demoted’ to McLaren!

Maybe Alonso should take an early bath, and leave room for both of them?

Here's a radical thought.

Maybe Mercedes should take over Williams, (they already supply them with Engines) and do the same deal as the Ferrari / Hass deal with many similar components.

Then put Ocon and Young George Russell, (he is leading the F2 Championship) in the Cars for 2019. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3