RMweb

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

What have you been watching?

Where did he start in the US GP & where was he after turn 1? That was certainly not a clean start.

My apologies - I should have been more specific in what I was alluding to. In 2016 there were several occasions where Lewis failed to start to move off the line as quickly as the other cars around him appeared to do. This was commented on by many people at the time. Driver error or something else?

Out dragged by a car on a tyre with more grip .

They both launched off the line the same then Hamilton made a small error, wheelspinning in 2nd/3rd gear, which I would argue is very different.

If there was any inference towards traction control, he didn't have it.

Kimi may have been on softer tyres, but was also on the dusty side of the track.

Has anyone else noticed that Ferrari make identical,perfect starts for a few races then when it starts to look suspicious, they suddenly don't. It is almost as if they have TC then turn it off to avoid suspicion.

The same happened a few years back when Alonso & Massa were getting "inspired" starts. It was investigated, Ferrari were deemed as being within the rules & their next few starts were suddenly not so good.

The 2 Mercs have both struggled off the line at times for the last few years, more so at the beginning of each season which is consistent with drivers having to control wheelspin themselves then improving suring the year as they learn how the new car behaves, but Hamilton's short but costly wheelspin in Austin proves that it is difficult to master.

I think now, more than ever that the pressure at Ferrari will make Vettel think about next year.

If he wants to leave, and stay in a competitive Car, he has NO CHOICES, as Alonso found out when he left, so I still think he might retire now, before next season.

Depends how objective he is. He hasn't totally outclassed Raiko this year. From the performance record of 2018 I wouldn't bet against Raiko finishing ahead at least once more this season. My opinion remains that it all hangs on relative performance to Leclerc in 2019. If Leclerc quickly establishes performance parity, that will punch a hole in his confidence.

But never mind all that, how are Merc going to enable Bottas to have the best chance of a win in at least one of the last two races?

• Like 1

I didn't expect to see Danny at the last two Races, but glad that he is doing them, and hopw he has some sort of good luck for a change.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/25153678/daniel-ricciardo-committed-finishing-season-red-bull

A comment like that is easily said, but it would be in breach of his contract & probably subject to some sort of penalty. If he didn't think of this a little later, I am sure somebody reminded him.

• Like 2

But he doesn't run around or knock a ball about, not our kind of person really...

Other winners:

J Surtees 1959

J Stewart 1973

N Mansell 1986 & 1992

D Hill 1994 & 1996

L Hamilton 2014

No ball manipulators there...

steve

He ought to be, if he recalls that another 'newbie' sitting in the same equipment quickly began to outperform him. Vettel's ability was flattered by four years occupation of what was easily the best car running in the then field, and despite possession of that advantage he was still run close for a couple of the championships.

We'll see if he still wants to work with Leclerc if it emerges over the course of 2019 that team orders are to take up the rear gunner position.

It could be a good season, four different cars with proven race winners in them, potential for a three (and a half) way fight for the driver title. If it quickly starts to get tight with four or more race winners in the first half dozen races then the projection is six each of wins and podiums will be enough for the driver championship.Not a lot of wiggle room there, no good getting three wins for each of your drivers...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Those people who want tyres to last a whole race may soon get their wish (and more). It appears that well renowned motorsport tyre manufacturer Hankook are tendering to be the 2020 tyre supplier...

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139872/f1-would-be-wrong-to-ditch-pirelli--ferrari

If selected, rumour has it the FIA will change the rules to state that only 1 set of tyres per year will be allocated per team and if there is enough tread left on still, they can re-use them the following year.

So what if the promoter goes for the high endurance Hankook tyre? Unless the performance is really stable over the season lifetime I foresee outbreaks of strategic punctures neatly timed for those tracks least suited to a given car's characteristics. As ever with 'the rules'  prizes go to the team that exploits them best.

If selected, rumour has it the FIA will change the rules to state that only 1 set of tyres per year will be allocated per team and if there is enough tread left on still, they can re-use them the following year.

Seems unlikely considering Pirelli have been asked for compounds which are faster & wear out quicker.

20 GPs plus testing would be well over 5000 miles. Your average road tyre would not last that long if you regularly pushed it to the limit, so I am doubtful whether there is any truth in that rumour.

• RMweb Gold

So what if the promoter goes for the high endurance Hankook tyre? Unless the performance is really stable over the season lifetime I foresee outbreaks of strategic punctures neatly timed for those tracks least suited to a given car's characteristics. As ever with 'the rules'  prizes go to the team that exploits them best.

Hankook compounds are so hard, not even CF shards can puncture them...

The last sentence in my previous post was /sarcasm. :)  Hankook are hardly renowned for quality tyres, let alone race-spec ones.

• Like 1

Hankook are hardly renowned for quality tyres, let alone race-spec ones.

I believe your views are being coloured by past reputations.

Hankook have really upped their performance in the past few years, doing very well in reviews & comparisons.

Pirelli were once regarded as a good manufacturer of performance tyres but seem to have fallen quite a long way behind now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Surely your perception of them is irrelevant if they can deliver what is needed? Last time I checked Renault are hardly known for their ultra-high performance cars, yet they have an F1 team!

• RMweb Gold

Surely your perception of them is irrelevant if they can deliver what is needed? Last time I checked Renault are hardly known for their ultra-high performance cars, yet they have an F1 team!

f1-united-states-gp-west-1982-alain-pros

f1-monaco-gp-1983-alain-prost-renault-re

This isn't exactly Renault's first foray into F1, or any motorsport come to that matter.

Edited by 57xx

• RMweb Gold

I believe your views are being coloured by past reputations.

Hankook have really upped their performance in the past few years, doing very well in reviews & comparisons.

Pirelli were once regarded as a good manufacturer of performance tyres but seem to have fallen quite a long way behind now.

Apologies for making a joke based on their past performance.

• Like 1