The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2018

Oldddudders

With Hulkenburg being trapped in the car, the (C4) commentators said that having established he was otherwise OK, the marshals were able to right the car and release him.

So what would happen if they couldn't ascertain that, e.g. if he was knocked out, or even if the radio was knocked out and he couldn't respond to the teams question.

I did wonder what would have happened if there had been one of the "messages to Charlie" that you sometimes hear from the drivers. "I am trapped by the halo. The halo is preventing me from getting out. There is fire in the car." etc.

There was reference to both a red light on top of the cockpit (I did not quite hear what this was for) and about the marshalls and the doctor who was very quick to the scene, checking that Nico was Ok to be moved, before they decided to right the car. If they had decided that would have been too dangerous, because of some injury sustained, I guess they would have cut him out?

Not the same. A seat belt has a way of releasing a halo doesn't.

I've now watched it (C4) and feel they brushed over the key issue. If that fire had been worse we could have had Lauda all over again.

A safety device is all well and good if it doesnt throw up an even worse scenario than it prevents. In this case i feel it does.

While protecting against one risk, it does seem to have created another.

We have seen an incident this year where the halo was scuffed. Would the driver's head have been impacted without it?

Trapping the driver was the argument against closed cockpits, with the halo being chosen as the best available compromise. It was the drivers who chose it.

• Like 1

There was reference to both a red light on top of the cockpit (I did not quite hear what this was for) 

That is to do with the hybrid energy system (MGU-H I think). The light indicates whether the car is safe to handle or hand out a thumping great electric shock if a marshal touched it in the wrong way.

• RMweb Gold

As someone has already mentioned, the 2019 season sees some significant changes. If Red Bull gets the same level of performance from Honda as Toro Rosso has had this year, Verstappen is going to be one angry young man. And he doesn’t do well at anger management. So Ricciardo may find himself further up the grid and closer to the podium than many expect - there will simply be a Top 4 instead of 6. And Nico in the Renault has been best of the rest on points this season. If they continue their development and progress through the Winter, Renault may be regular 5/6 place winners.

Leclerc will take a race or two to settle at Ferrari, but will fit right in to that Top 4. Indeed, he may embarrass Bottas, who has never shone this season, despite their being no visible needle with Lewis.

Pitpass is not convinced Kubica is truly race-ready, and will opt out during 2019. They see Bottas going back to Williams, and Ocon getting his big break with Mercedes. Intriguing!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There are different lights on the car - there's the flashing red one which indicates the electrical energy has not been discharged (as seen on Kimi's car when he pulled up) thus the marshalls need to be careful, although I'm unsure of the exact implications of that.

There's another light, which was referenced in the Hulkenberg incident which is accelerometer triggered; in the event it is lit then a driver has a mandatory trip to the doctor even if he claims he's fine. Was seen on Hartley's car in Canada IIRC.

But he ran with 44 as usual.

Why would he ask for permission to use No.1 then not do it?

Yes most strange, I always thought the No 1 was reserved for the Championship Winner, but not until the next Season, although Lewis could have legitimately run it this year from round 1, as he was also last years winner.

Yes most strange, I always thought the No 1 was reserved for the Championship Winner, but not until the next Season, although Lewis could have legitimately run it this year from round 1, as he was also last years winner.

He obtained dispensation to run No.1 on the nose of his car in FP1 and then reverted to his usual No. 44.

Perhaps a bit of an indulgence to celebrate both the 2018 WDC and Manufacturers wins. Can you blame him/them?

Ok, prediction time.

Hamilton to have wrapped up the championship with three races to spare.

Vettel learns than you can’t win the championship in the first half of the season - but you can lose it/throw it away.

Red Bull’s challenge to Ferrari hamstrung by the stewards.

McLaren improve significantly during the first half, but never finish in the top three.

The boy LeClerc leaves team-mate Ericsson behind as he gains experience, gets one freak result (a la Stroll in Baku last year).

Big battle for fourth placed team, ultimately Renault.

End of term report (part 1).

a) Ok, not mathematically wrapped up until Mexico

b) Spot on

c) Not quite - the biggest damage to Red Bull's campaign was Daniel not having a car capable of finishing races and getting too many grid penalties for replacing components

d) Correct - but perhaps too obvious with hindsight

e) Certainly left Ericsson behind, but I wouldn't now call his results freakish

f) Spot on.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 6

An extract from F1 Pitpass.

So, from the site that predicted Red Bull partnering with Honda, and Daniel Ricciardo heading to Renault, how about this...

A 'few' races into the season, Robert Kubica says that he doesn't think he will be able to contest the full 2019 calendar. Consequently, Bottas returns to his spiritual home at Grove, while Mercedes tweets an "announce" confirming Esteban Ocon as Lewis' teammate.

All quite possible I suppose. AP.

Nobody has mentioned it - but I wonder how well Raikkonen will do in the Sauber? He can be very quick at times despite his laid-back attitude. During the last half of the season Sauber did appear to move up the grid a little?

A very good question, and I think he will be consistently top 4, 5 or 6 or better.

And as Kimi was the LAST Ferrari Driver to;

Win a World Championship.

Win a Grand Prix,

Get a Pole position.

My question is, will he be missed by Ferrari?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

End of term report (part 1).

a) Ok, not mathematically wrapped up until Mexico

b) Spot on

c) Not quite - the biggest damage to Red Bull's campaign was Daniel not having a car capable of finishing races and getting too many grid penalties for replacing components

d) Correct - but perhaps too obvious with hindsight

e) Certainly left Ericsson behind, but I wouldn't now call his results freakish

f) Spot on.

I think you flatter yourself on D, the McLaren was a dog from start to finish!

4th Brit on the Grid, great news.

www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/25384191/toro-rosso-confirms-alexander-albon-2019

Does he race as a Thai or a British driver? According to Wiklipedia, he has Thai nationality.

He was educated at Ipswich School so BBC Look East will be all over him. They extend their boundaries to absorb any sporting celebs they can and Thailand will be a new record for them.

• Like 1

Does he race as a Thai or a British driver? According to Wiklipedia, he has Thai nationality.

He was educated at Ipswich School so BBC Look East will be all over him. They extend their boundaries to absorb any sporting celebs they can and Thailand will be a new record for them.

Learned to drive on tuk-tuks, polished his career on tractors?

Actually, the lad has talent, hope he does well.

An extract from F1 Pitpass.

So, from the site that predicted Red Bull partnering with Honda, and Daniel Ricciardo heading to Renault, how about this...

A 'few' races into the season, Robert Kubica says that he doesn't think he will be able to contest the full 2019 calendar. Consequently, Bottas returns to his spiritual home at Grove, while Mercedes tweets an "announce" confirming Esteban Ocon as Lewis' teammate.

All quite possible I suppose. AP.

That was on my list for next year. Sadly I don’t think Kubica will see out the season. Edited by EddieB

4th Brit on the Grid, great news.

www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/25384191/toro-rosso-confirms-alexander-albon-2019

The official F2 site shows him as a Thai national, and the Thai flag is shown on his team photo. "Educated in Ipswich" might not fit on the TV screens.....

• RMweb Gold

Usually just a thread-follower here, but there's an interesting piece about the paywall in today's Guardian here: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2018/nov/26/f1-broadcasting-paywall-tv

Thanks, Mal. Interesting how life changes. I do recall John Bolster in the pits with deerstalker and radio mike requiring a hefty backpack. He would importune those unfortunate enough to visit the pits - such a visit was in modern parlance indeed the pits - and shove his mike 8nto the cockpit. “What seems to be the problem Graham?” being the classic question. “It won’t go!” being the implausibly profanity-free response. Drivers were gentlemen then.

My 43” tv, purchased at huge expense in 2004 as Deb’s housewarming present to herself, will henceforth see even less use. Sherry occasionally takes pity upon it and watches Corrie. I almost never turn the thing on. I don’t suppose it minds.

That was on my list for next year. Sadly I don’t think Kubica will see out the season.

Even if Kubica makes it through the season, and that's a big if, he's getting a bit long in the tooth,

34 next year, for an F1 driver.

steve

Even if Kubica makes it through the season, and that's a big if, he's getting a bit long in the tooth,

34 next year, for an F1 driver.

steve

Lewis has commented (somewhat tongue in cheek) recently that he's glad Kubica's coming back because it means he won't be the second oldest F1 driver now Alonso's gone!