GW Dean, Churchward & Collett Coaches

On 02/04/2022 at 08:16, Miss Prism said:

All links to Penhros.me.uk from gwr.org.uk now updated, but I find it awkward not to be able to link to specific pages, particularly now the coach area has its dedicated domain.

Thanks for doing that so quickly.  I'm waiting for Google to tell me who links to Penrhos.me.uk so I can contact them.  Sorry it's awkward.  That's because I'm using one hosting package to host 2 domains which stops anything other than https://gwrcoaches.org.uk appearing in the address bar.  But you should be able to link into to individual pages as the page names haven't changed.  eg www.penrhos.me.uk/Rdiags.shtml is now https://gwrcoaches.org.uk/Rdiags.shtml

Edited by Penrhos1920
Links updated

11 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I want to thank you again for the site. I have all the books but your systematically arranged lists makes it much easier to obtain an overview and find a particular type and style of coach.

10 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I had often popped onto the Penrhos pages looking at the early stock and found it interesting…. But now exoanding it into the main GWR fleet of carriages is great thank you.

I have often thought that the GWR carriages books needed updating into a large chronological order book…. And I guess your site is the answer to that wish. For which thank you, looks as if I will be a regular visitor.

You're welcome gents.  I need to stop adding stuff for a while and make some models!

I'm waiting for someone to say that I haven't included Hawksworth!!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

You're welcome gents.  I need to stop adding stuff for a while and make some models!

I'm waiting for someone to say that I haven't included Hawksworth!!

Continue on the Collett carriages, don’t worry about Hawksworth 🤣

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Thanks for doing that so quickly.  I'm waiting for Google to tell me who links to Penrhos.me.uk so I can contact them.  Sorry it's awkward.  That's because I'm using one hosting package to host 2 domains which stops anything other than http://www.gwrcoaches.org.uk/ appearing in the address bar.  But you should be able to link into to individual pages as the page names haven't changed.  eg www.penrhos.me.uk/Rdiags.shtml is now www.gwrcoaches.org.uk/Rdiags.shtml

Too late now, I updated the links last night, shedding the previous diagram-specific texts and references, because your address bar shows only 'gwrcoaches.org.uk' regardless of what is chosen on your menu. I can't guess what specific pages are supposed to be called.

All the non-coach references on gwr.org.uk are still linking to penhros.me.uk, which sounds like it will disappear in due course.

But I'm confused - if your hosting package includes 2 domains, how come it stops anything other than gwrcoaches.org.uk appearing in the address bar?

16 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Too late now, I updated the links last night, shedding the previous diagram-specific texts and references, because your address bar shows only 'gwrcoaches.org.uk' regardless of what is chosen on your menu. I can't guess what specific pages are supposed to be called.

All the non-coach references on gwr.org.uk are still linking to penhros.me.uk, which sounds like it will disappear in due course.

But I'm confused - if your hosting package includes 2 domains, how come it stops anything other than gwrcoaches.org.uk appearing in the address bar?

Only the coaches content on penrhos.me.uk will disappear.  The plan is to expand the Penrhos Junctions content on penrhos.me.uk

My hosting is such that I can have as many domains as I like using one hosting package.  But the second and subsequent domains are hosted using "web forwarding"  which unfortnately means that the forwarded domains have to appear inside an iframe which then hides the individual page names in the address bar.  It also stops me using a favicon and other things as it's a poor mans option.  I could have spent more money and upgraded to a package that allowed 5 domains without we forwarding but that would more than double my hosting bill and I don't have that money at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On to what has been updated on the Dean era section:

Liveries Animation has been revised to correct an error with the 1904 to 1908 liveries.  But I haven't included gold lining around the ventilators yet.

Lewis Classification has been extended to include a history of the styles and a count of how many coaches were built to each style.  If you disagree with my counting please let me know!  It's difficult when you only have 10 fingers, 10 toes and one xxx to count with!!

Bogie coaches - some diagrams have had condemnation dates added.  My conclusion is that most lasted 45 to 50 years or more if WWII got in the way.  Photos of diagrams A2, D11, K2, M17 and Dean dynamometer car.

Short coaches T5 to T9 added.  New page for V and W diagrams.  Photos of T27, T60, T62

Short coach identification guide has been finished and includes my favorite photo of a GWR train of short coaches; 9 coaches, 9 different designs.  Who's going to model that?

Two new pages about the coaches for the London Metropolitan servies.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Short coach identification guide has been finished and includes my favorite photo of a GWR train of short coaches; 9 coaches, 9 different designs.  Who's going to model that?

Superb photo and a tempting challenge. Several of those coaches are/have been available as kits. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

Looks like a cross between a postal van and a bullion van, but I can't identify it.

(Dean Single 3064 on a milk train at Didcot)

3064-didcot.jpg.6c177ec8c8f4595b1f721a9a5f5f88c7.jpg

Which suggests to me that it is something, perhaps a postal van, converted to carry bullion - in order to replace a regular van out of service?

2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Looks like a cross between a postal van and a bullion van, but I can't identify it.

I do not have my TPO data, (On its way to Australia) but I have a set of Hammond etches for it. Here are my part assembled models. The net/doors are on the other side.

From a few scribbles I have here it will be either an L6, L8 or L9.

Mike Wiltshire

449938405_TPODnonCorm.jpg.60cba4f1e4c5e04f758affeb3d9cfd4c.jpg

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Yes, that's the one. Tony Hammond did several clerestory TPO vehicles.

But what's it doing in a milk train?

But that isn't the one, the top and bottom panelling is clearly different, strongly suggesting that the vehicle originally (still?) had a further single door and two double doors.

TPO are a nightmare. Most of them had at least one mod, and many of which were not given lot numbers. Researching GPO accounts revealed continousl modifications were invoiced for. 

One I found interesting was a K17 stowage van lasted into the 1950's at the request of the GPO and paid for,  as a spare

David Geen has a L4 TPO kit that has not yet been released. This coach was altered several times which has complicated the kit design.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 3

On 04/05/2022 at 10:49, Miss Prism said:

Could it be TPO no.842.  Drawing here: https://gwrcoaches.org.uk/JackSlinnCollection.shtml , near the bottom.  Unfortunately the drawing is of the other side so you have to 'guess' and 'imagine' a bit.

Edited by Penrhos1920
Link updated
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys  I hope this is the right place to come. Having just dug out an old book on the Dart Valley Railway (Ashburton to Totnes) branch I came across some photos of the rolling stock notable the No 249 the Family Saloon and the Dynamometer Car No 790.

My question is does anyone know if either or both these coaches are available as etch kits in 4mm scale, I would go even further to ask are any  Dean period coach kits out there, I don't normal model 4mm EM but if these style of coaches are available I could be tempted.

Colin  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Baldwin30762 said:

Hi Guys  I hope this is the right place to come. Having just dug out an old book on the Dart Valley Railway (Ashburton to Totnes) branch I came across some photos of the rolling stock notable the No 249 the Family Saloon and the Dynamometer Car No 790.

My question is does anyone know if either or both these coaches are available as etch kits in 4mm scale, I would go even further to ask are any  Dean period coach kits out there, I don't normal model 4mm EM but if these style of coaches are available I could be tempted.

There is a very full and up-to-date listing of 4 mm scale GW carriage kits at 

http://www.gwr.org.uk/kits4coacha.html

For carriage identification, you must, having arived here, be aware of the OP's site

http://www.gwrcoaches.org.uk/index.html.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi Stephen I stumbled more on to op's list to be honest rather that trying to find it, but it has help me sort out a few of the coaches I am interested in and while I am not a GWR person, some of the carriages are beautiful.

Thanks for the second list as well, I will have a look at it a bit later.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury   

Edited by Baldwin30762
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Baldwin30762 said:

I am not a GWR person

More of a Lynton & Barnstaple / LSWR / Southern enthusiast, I'm guessing!

But GW carriages would have been seen at Barnstaple Town in the L&B's heyday, working through to Ilfracombe.

• Like 1

Correct, I was sorting out some old books and came across the one on the Dart Valley Railway project with some great looking coaches.

I have had in the back of my mind for ages to build a fictitious Junction station somewhere in the south west where both the GWR and the SR meet but the additional bit was that the Somerset and Dorset also found its way to the Junction station as well.

What I have worked out in my mind was that the station started out as Southern (LSWR) secondary line not far away  some sort of industrial working was started so a link via an industrial line came into being,  a few years past and the GWR approach the station with a secondary branch line and they obtained running rights through to Exeter. a few years later again part of the industrial line was upgraded to take larger mainline locos the only thing was, that at the other end of the upgraded line was the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway.

The area saw an increase of industrial output which increased the number small local industrial railways feeding into the transfer sidings by the junction station by now.

The timeline would be from 1920 to 1935 so anything that was about then I can justify it on the layout, but I will need to take care that I don't start to use locos or rolling stock which was built after this period.        

I do happen to like the old North Cornwall Railway buildings so that gives you some ideas just how big an area I can work in.

Without pushing the boundaries too much, I would also like to include some sort of Industrial line as well.

Locos will be a mix bag as I happen to like both the 45xx and the Halls for the GWR and the N's & U's for the Southern, I might treat myself to one WC loco. As for the S&DJR I must have  one of those 2-8-0 tender locos and LMS 2P 4-4-0 and a 4F 0-6-0 I think they were. As for any industrial loco there are too many good models or kits out there, so again not sure what to go for at present. 

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

• Like 1

• 10 months later...