RMweb

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, pwr said:

I need to look at the buffers again. The wagons are too far apart to effectively couple with instanters 

Ive tried various Oleos but apart from Slaters, Ive found most to be rather overscale.

M&M who used to have a stand at shows and sold all sorts of useful spares, did some good ones of their own but they've gone now. I fitted some to a Skytrex bolster I later sold and have always regretted not having the buffers back off for the spares box!

3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Ive tried various Oleos but apart from Slaters, Ive found most to be rather overscale.

M&M who used to have a stand at shows and sold all sorts of useful spares, did some good ones of their own but they've gone now. I fitted some to a Skytrex bolster I later sold and have always regretted not having the buffers back off for the spares box!

The buffer shanks themselves are not too bad. I was using drawing pins for the buffers but I think I need to take more off the pins so they sit further apart. They are not sprung but given this was a bonus gift I am not wanting to spend a great deal on them. 

Ill keep you posted!

Paul R

So the PVB is now finished. The only remaining job is weathering 

PVB-24.jpg.51e9606606203e54e04af38c3928ec52.jpg

PVB-25.jpg.d1903661ccc604df2767335f9f95f8c4.jpg

PVB-26.jpg.ca51f8e69c2c3092ea91f8536f6c2c52.jpg

I am pretty pleased with this as a first kit that has been 3D printed albeit not by myself.

In terms of the kit there want much to do as most of it was a single piece. The sides were Corgi albeit not strictly correct as they have too many straps.  The only other things I added were wheels and buffers (MM1) and Instanters (Dapol) and air pipes (Heljan)

Was it worth it. Well the cost was high - a tad under £100 for the basic body plus postage from the US. You can select how quickly you want it with the quickest the most expensive. I wanted the slow option but it defaults to the expensive fastest in the checkout. So I paid more than I need have done.  That said it came in less than a week securely packaged and ready to go.

The material is some form of white plastic and only seems to take superglue and epoxy. Nothing else works. I had to use practically a whole can of putty spray on the roof to mostly get rid of the printing lines. The body ends and sole bars finish up in some form of rough sandpaper style which may come out better if printed in resin but this is not an option. I am pretty pleased with it. It's unusual, not many people will have one on their layout and the fact that the curtain sides are not 3D printed works in its favour. Transfers do not stick easily to the 3D rough finish and need to be fixed with varnish immedidaltey after application. 

Could I have scratchbuilt this - probably. The suspension can be got as castings and the rest would be plastikard plus the Corgi sides. Probably would have been a lot cheaper but taken much longer to finish.

Would I buy another? Not of this prototype but I would like the bogie Grainflow wagon and 4 wheel rebuilt 'blue' grain hopper both of which are available and for which again the sides are the only bits not printed and are required to be formed from plastikard. Watch this space but I am not anticipating an order any time soon!

Shapeways also do the W and M railbus in 7mm but a different designer but I am fearful its in the same finish as this and I am not convinced about the shape. Sides are also too thick for my liking and I have not seen a finished version

• Like 3

On 02/08/2022 at 08:35, Hal Nail said:

M&M are now owned/produced by First Class Kits, the proprietor was very helpful when I needed some spares/different parts for my Presflo build so maybe worth messaging him?

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, 37114 said:

M&M are now owned/produced by First Class Kits, the proprietor was very helpful when I needed some spares/different parts for my Presflo build so maybe worth messaging him?

Thanks for that

Paul R

• Like 1

On 07/07/2022 at 20:08, 34006 said:

Our PW tool van at Chasewater is one of these,will check next Sunday,when I'm next over there.Got a feeling it has screw couplings,though.

Regards

Phil

Hi, have checked this and can confirm screw couplings.

Regards 

Phil

So the PFA's are practically finished. Just need to get transfers on the wagons.

PFA-13.jpg.136554063becb706c597988519354292.jpg

PFA-14.jpg.a6fb53f88a01e82558a8bd395023c1db.jpg

PFA-15.jpg.b7bf5689b2ca37a3eb7d5100dc861834.jpg

PFA-16.jpg.42be6eedf17c200f44b7451b904f4e70.jpg

PFA-17.jpg.b3eaa3652160fcc4252598ac7471ae9c.jpg

PFA-18.jpg.c9f9bf21d76788ecf1132c5b6cad6c60.jpg

So a bit of weathering should see these complete. The containers were by and large kept clean so it will only be light.

Onwards and Upwards

Paul R

• Like 6

So the next kit down the production line is this.

N7-1.jpg.4543eb4a0c2308b10883cfc9508bd932.jpg

N7-2.jpg.5b376a44cc21965cfeb3a7a431665937.jpg

Started on the footplate.  Usually I build the chassis first but the instructions suggest otherwise given the need to fit the motor.

N7-3.jpg.6e013779247f92d8ccb134cf47de108d.jpg

N7-4.jpg.8ea83059de1c4a8f52f1c2a1d635b84c.jpg

Needs cleaning up and washing to get rid of the flux although I don't use green label which is supposed to be for the higher temp solders, I use the red label which is less corrosive. 

I'll probably start the chassis as well and build them in tandem.

The kits are now rare as Jim stopped making them due to the fact that the casting quality deteriorated over time and he has not made new masters. I bought this from him at a show in 1991 or 1992 and its been liberated from the stash! I am hoping its going to be a relatively quick build.

Paul R

• Like 4

16 hours ago, boeing7572t6 said:

Take your time Paul, I doubt you’ll find another one. I’ve been searching for ages and have resigned myself to fighting the Ace Products offering.

Bob

Bob

Is that the ex Ravenscale kit?

If you are prepared to source castings yourself then you may find Jim would do you a set of etchings. Might be worth giving him a call. He is very obliging. 

Paul R

5 hours ago, boeing7572t6 said:

Hello Paul,

Not sure of its provenance, all the etches are marked as Ace products. It is the earlier N7 with arched rear windows.
I have another, bought s/hand which is (now) a good runner but as bought wallowed all over the place due to wheel issues. Alas it is a mix of the earlier version, (low bunker,) but the rear windows are round and the side window and bunker steps are matched to that. The big error is the door aperture which does not reach the roofline. It is beautifully painted and hand lined and I am loth to wreck it. But I do need 62713, the B Stortford pet.

Not thought of asking Jim for the etchings, I’ll try

Good luck with your build.

Bob

Bob

I also have the Ravenscale N7 which I bought long before Jim's kit came out. Its quite basic but has a milled chassis and I have some Walsall wheels and a motor of dubious provenance in the box. I thought I might make it alongside. 

I'll get the body to the same stage as the Connoisseur model before moving on with the latter. Its more complicated because unlike Jim's kits the Ravenscale has no tab and slot nor grooves etched for the valances.

Watch this space

Paul R

For anyone out there that wants a bargain this is available in Aldi's middle aisle for £22.99 with a three year warranty

Mnidrill.jpg.bf6ddad0bca90b0f0bc8710a78aef7f0.jpg

Thats about a third the price of a Dremel cordless.

It's not got a separate battery like the Dremel and this could be a problem longer term but it is still a lithium version. Supplied with a charger to  with a USB C plug to link to the drill for charging purposes. Most of the accessories are thiner diameter stems than I am used to seeing but a full range of chuck collets is included so this doesn't matter.

Grab them whilst stocks last - as they say when they are gone they are gone!

Paul R

• Like 1

Started on The Ravenscale N7 today. The etches are pretty good but its not a patch on Jim's kit. However by building these together I can adapt and enhance the Ravenscale and hopefully get to the same place.

This shot shows the footplate, buffer beams and valances track soldered together.

N7-5.jpg.fce04700cf742d730961efd642a1995d.jpg

There are no half etch lines to locate things so I resorted to scribing to locate the parts. 

Here are the two side by side

N7-6.jpg.07690c8ff136820ede1da4d160bcd48f.jpg

Amazingly the dimensions are the same but you can see the different treatment of the footplates. The rear one is the Ravenscale and the front the Connoisseur.

Paul R

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of progress and posts. I had a total knee replacement in my left leg two weeks ago so I have been recuperating and doing the exercises. I am doing well and can now walk up stairs normally which is big progress. The Physio is pleased with me and talked me to get back into my workshop!!!!

Updates as and when

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

With Heljan's announcement of the Southern PMV I thought I would share a photo of mine which I built from a Slaters kit 29 years ago.

PMV-1.jpg.1ebc1926fa7546d05f612c6a225f873f.jpg

It's fully functional, the sprung buffers still work as does the suspension. 

I will not be buying the Heljan version which appears to be priced higher than Dapol's MK1 coaches.

Paul R

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

When I saw someone asking for smoke units in 7mm the oher day i did realise the extent to which r-t-r has shifted things and not necessarily for the better.

Great to have more choice but as kit manufacturers etc increasingly cant compete, a lot of us will actually be worse off.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/09/2022 at 15:25, boeing7572t6 said:

Hi Paul, glad you’re on the mend. Coincidentally I’ve just finished a PMV. The sides and ends are zinc, roof Slaters and the rest from my odds and sods box. Total cost <£25. It’s a bit rough and ready but I can’t afford £250 for a van. I also have a Staters one, finished in carmine red and filth, bought in auction for £21 with a Siphon G in the same lot. 
All the best

Bob

CFE872CE-2390-4BBC-91D3-27773CE32573.jpeg

That looks great. I am all for a bargain and this looks the bees knees

Paul R

On 03/09/2022 at 22:11, Hal Nail said:

When I saw someone asking for smoke units in 7mm the oher day i did realise the extent to which r-t-r has shifted things and not necessarily for the better.

Great to have more choice but as kit manufacturers etc increasingly cant compete, a lot of us will actually be worse off.

I am sad to say I agree with you.  However I think if some manufacturers continue to charge mouth watering prices this may backfire. 

I am glad I put aside some kits for my retirement.

Also I saw some sad news this week in that the only model shop here for miles has now permanently closed due to retirement and an inability to sell the business as a going concern. I am afraid we are going to see more and more of this.  Very sad.

Paul R

• Agree 1

Was down in Eastbourne last week and visited Train Times Model Shop. Picked up this Morris Commercial in Royal Mail livery for a bargain price second hand.

sorry about the poor quality photo

Morris-1.jpg.70fa2f0c6ad027705ac1750cd861c7de.jpg

Paul R

• Like 4