Right the new board is now fully wired with switches in place for the isolating sections on the extended siding and additional switch holes for the Dapol signals I will be using. On this new board there will be the advance starter and inner home signals. The latter may be a bracket which signals the loop or I could use a ground signal for the latter./ Any advice please from the signalling experts. Passenger trains are not allowed to use the loop in service only as ETS.  Dapol are bringing out a ground signal at some point so I have choices as there is no sign of any bracket signals of LMS or BR origin. So the choice is make my own or use the Dapol! Either way I have made provision. The only conundrum is how to power them. There is no uncontrolled 12v DC power supply down between any of the boards. There is however a 20vAC bus which powers the points and despite there being no points on board 4 the bus has been wired through so I must have been thinking ahead! All the need to do is then take it through a pair of DCC Concepts powered dowels as there are no connecting cables between Boards 4 and the new Board 5. 

The Dapol signals work from a max of 18v DC (presumably for DCC operation) or 12v DC. So as I don't want to run the risk of burning something out I am using this voltage converter from Amazon to provide me with an uncontrolled 12v DC supply.

Converter.jpg.3f51ff581f79dce1b65dd6a3680b204b.jpg

Every board that will have signals or an accessory that required an uncontrolled 12V supply will need one of these but as all boards have a 20vAC supply that's no problem. They are about £7 from Amazon.

I also posed some suitable traction for the HEA's

Class-56-1.jpg.3650828bcd4d6ae222c5e1cbb7a9e73b.jpg

Right on to the holes

Paul R

• Like 5

OK so the new Board 5 is now wired and ballasted. 

Board-5-3.jpg.3a1ddb053db5c8f3756cb3996c12f114.jpg

Board-5-4.jpg.99ecdace8d0a74e2d57b26fbcbee8165.jpg

The Black Notley inner home signal will go in the small indentation next to the switch panel. It's a Dapol LMS upper quadrant. Probably not accurate but it will do. I am disappointed with the way Dapol have constructed these signals since although the signal clips into the servo box underneath the board, the signal is fitted and held in place by a plastic nut underneath meaning you have to disconnect the box if you want to get the signal off. I will need to do that initially so stop it being broken or chewed by the cats. I think I will put some Velcro tape on the box so I can hold it in place when the signal is removed since it will be wired into the power supply and can't easily be taken off.

I am also minded to change the wiring so the main line on this board can be isolated so I can hold a train at the signal whilst the platform or loop is cleared.  It won't take long and just requires another switch in the small panel linked to the positive track feed.

All for now Paul R

• Like 3

So I have now rewired the main line as indicated above and I can isolate a train at the signal.

The Dapol signal is now fitted in place

Signal-1.jpg.0661e4493f81547b2037184752465b3a.jpg

I did have issues with sighting in the original position but placing the signal box closer to what will eventually be the backscene gets round the sighting issues.

Paul R

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Going for an operating session or sessions this week now that there is a pretty good chance of decent rain free weather. I have put together a few more cassettes which always seemed to be in short supply and altered this one which was tight to gauge.

cassette-1.jpg.6b80f74da515e5dcab5be18e02e240a6.jpg

Watch out for more photos and video.

Should see the first run out of the 56's and HEA's.

I've got a bit more wiring to change and install another Dapol signal on the first board which will be the inner home from the Witham direction. It does mean however that I need to run another 20v AC connection across the board end and install a rectifier. I am also going to make the board into an isolating section as per the one at the Braintree end. 

Paul R

• Like 2

Had the layout up in the garden today choir proving runs.

I am pleased to say the new board works without issue and the wiring seems to be fine although I was not able to test the Dapol signal as I ran out of time.

Here is the 08 on the first proving run

And here is the first run of the Wickham Trolley.

I also had the 56 out for the firs time

Impressive!

As the layout has not been out for over a year I am pleased with this.

I still have a dodgy point motor and I have to run some more wiring to deliver a 20v AC supply to the starter board at the Witham end to power the Dapol signal. I was pleased to find again that the necessary connections are already in place that I can use.

All ready for the full running session tomorrow.

Paul R

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Had a first real run out for the B2 since it was built.

Sadly the loco did not perform as well as expected and I also noticed that it has stained a couple of knocks along the way that will need retouching. I think a good run in on the rolling road is required plus some more oiling of the axles/bearings. Nonetheless it does have a good turn of speed.

I will collate most of the video into one or two programmes rather than posting short clips

Paul R

• Like 3

11 hours ago, EasternO said:

I hope none of the DMU passengers are nursing a hot cup of tea in their laps!

I know. Slow speed control on the controller I am using isn't that clever.

I have heard that you don't get these issues with DCC but I am not ready to go down that road

Paul R

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, jcarta said:

Looks very nice....... Is that the new CCTV for the level crossing hiding behind the loco?

Yes that's right Jim!

It's the wife's GoPro which is actually a very good piece of kit. Shame I forgot to remove it before I took the photo

Paul R

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Took delivery of one of these

Class-58-1.jpg.0444180441e9e8149f61f63b9537831a.jpg

Class-58-2.jpg.053cf4abaa7122d668d8ad964f8dc1a2.jpg

I've got some black numbers on order from Fox Transfersto number the thing.

Had it on the rolling road and it runs as sweet as a sewing machine.

Paul R

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi Paul,

My resistance was futile. I really am impressed with mine. Looks great on BN.

Regards

Julian

Hi Julian

Yes I always wanted one of these to complement the 56's. However this is as far forward in time that I intend to model on BN. I love the 60's but had to draw the line somewhere despite Rule 1.

Now if there was a Baby Deltic or Class 21 in the offing I would be there.

Trying to work out how to convince the wife that I really need another Class 15 when the EFE model comes out!!!

Paul R

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I'm thinking of stocking up on spare Ultrascale gears for my two early Heljan locos, while they are still around. Have you usually replaced the entire drive train, or just the cluster gears (the double one)?

I'm not sure I've ever actually read anyone having problems with the train of loose gears, just those cluster ones forced onto a too tight axle?

Also tempted to just buy one set per loco given all my others only have one motor to start with but I cant remember if you run with both still?

Cheers

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Hi,

I'm thinking of stocking up on spare Ultrascale gears for my two early Heljan locos, while they are still around. Have you usually replaced the entire drive train, or just the cluster gears (the double one)?

I'm not sure I've ever actually read anyone having problems with the train of loose gears, just those cluster ones forced onto a too tight axle?

Also tempted to just buy one set per loco given all my others only have one motor to start with but I cant remember if you run with both still?

Cheers

Morning Hal

I have just made the leap and converted all my early loco's with Ultrascale gears as I was always replacing the cluster gears every couple of years, 4 per loco so it's not a cheap option. I did order up the smaller gears but I have never had a failure with the Heljan ones 🤞.

I do believe Ultrascale will still continue to make these gears into the future but this is the statement on their website.

Future Gear set and Conversion pack availability

"It is with much regret that I have to inform you that as of the 31st December 2023 Gear Services (Letchworth) Ltd will no longer be taking orders for gears, other than the ones shown on the web site, after the above date. This includes other items, such as conversion packs that use brass gears in their construction. However, other products, such as Eco. conversions, Disc diesel wheels, wagon and coach wheels etc. will still be available."

Jim and Hal

Yes I saw that notice and have ordered up an additional set which I have just been told are ready. I think I now have enough spares to cover the two locos that have not beenreplaced with metal cluster gears. I also have a spare Heljan plastic set.

The only time I had problems with other gears was when the final drive of one of the Heljan Hymeks failed on the axle. Ultrascale supplied a replacement and it now runs fine but this is the only time I have come across failures of anything other than the cluster gears. Funny enough I have never had a problem with those in the original deltic. The sad thing is these things fail whether they are used or not such was the poor method of manufacture.

As far as Black Notley is concerned I have not been able to do any work on it as we are trying to sell the house and everything is way and out of use or inaccessible. however I am about to restart work on the station building.

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcarta said:

I do believe Ultrascale will still continue to make these gears into the future

will no longer be taking orders for gears, other than the ones shown on the web site, after the above date.

Its a bit ambiguous but they also said somewhere they are moving and don't have room for the equipment, so I'll buy now just in case.

ive got 2 clusters for my 33 already, though haven't got round to taking it apart yet given the $%&^ things only split on the first test run after I'd just put it all back together having detailed it! 

So decision was whether to buy 2 more for the other bogie or the other drive train and have one completely brass bogie. Will go with more clusters based on your replies. Thanks chaps. 

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul

I have two first generation Class 33's and one Class 26 and they suffered from split gears early in there lives so I replaced them and now they are great workhorses. I've just received an email from David @ Ultrascale to say that the cluster gears have been dispatched so next week I think I am going to be very busy as I have six loco's to sort out. Hopefully that should be all the early Heljan loco's sorted.

3 hours ago, jcarta said:

Paul

I have two first generation Class 33's and one Class 26 and they suffered from split gears early in there lives so I replaced them and now they are great workhorses. I've just received an email from David @ Ultrascale to say that the cluster gears have been dispatched so next week I think I am going to be very busy as I have six loco's to sort out. Hopefully that should be all the early Heljan loco's sorted.

I see from your topic that you have a 31 with this problem. Are they the same as the 37/35/47 clusters or different. I have two first generation 31's but they had not been out of the box in 2 years although they ran well enough last time I had them out.  I may put them on the rolling road and see.

Paul R