19 hours ago, brossard said:

Very cool to see this progress.  Kind of a shame that so many major parts have to be sourced.  More of a challenge that way I suppose.

John

Back in the day I think that was the norm until, the likes of Connoisseur and DJB came along, and others. 

I am still mulling over the thought that I dismantle the Ravenscale version to cut the holes in the frames like the Connoisseur kit. I would have to do it before I get the brake parts or it won't be possible. I don't like the thought that once put side by side on the track one will look less than realistic.

Paul R

Things have moved on and I suppose we are spoiled.  The Ravenscale frames look milled to me while the other frames appear to be etched.  I agree with you that frame holes should be done in the RS if for no other reason than you want them both to be the same.

John

On 21/10/2022 at 14:05, brossard said:

Things have moved on and I suppose we are spoiled.  The Ravenscale frames look milled to me while the other frames appear to be etched.  I agree with you that frame holes should be done in the RS if for no other reason than you want them both to be the same.

John

Yes you are correct John. The RS frames are milled but I have decided that they need to be corrected! 

Paul R

On 07/07/2022 at 12:41, pwr said:

Decided to succumb to a Dapol VEA. I wasn't going to bother but felt it was an iconic van for Speedlink services so bought one! Here it is eing shunted by a 56.

VEA-1.jpg.3bebfe75850b2c2e975ed2cb54784e3c.jpg

VEA-2.jpg.9acc1b7cb5ca35f3db741e910e8e5e4a.jpg

VEA-3.jpg.287dd22e0699bf2444960d0752e5e4d8.jpg

VEA-4.jpg.7a208a761f5f5af5e8afdcb8a07f93b1.jpg

These are fitted with screw couplings but I wonder if this is correct and should have been fitted with Instanters. Does anyone know or was it luck of the draw on the prototype.

Certainly the PVB looks like both types were fitted across the batch of wagons.

Paul R

One of each.....

ZRA KDC 230022 + KDC 230172 05032004 Toton Buffers

• Like 3

A bit more progress - the replacement knee meaning I can't spend as much time in the workshop as I would like.

The holes in the frames were measured and cut out and are seen here prior to final cleaning up and finishing.

N7-12.jpg.3d2c2958c483f2ab7c738a3f3d8cff10.jpg

I'll then have to fashion up some ashpan sides and rivet them before soldering in.

One of the springs has become detached as part of this process. In truth I should have done these before I soldered them in but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I am waiting on the brake gear castings from Ragstone which will then get this set of frames at the same place as the Connoisseur versions. I think the Ragstone brake gear will be a touch better than Jim's given its cast and has some but to it but when its all at the same point I'll post some comparison photos. 

Once at that point the wheels will have to be checked in the frames again and then dismantled for painting although I may wait until I am more advanced on the bodies before I do that as the motor position is still not fixed.

Paul R

• Like 4

Right so I have finished the firebox cutouts and false firebox as per the picture below

N7-13.jpg.726d86ea98b80ed980159c29c394dc6c.jpg

The next job was to solder the Ragstone brake hangers to the frames but after I started the process I realised I would not be able to get the wheels of as unlike the Connoisseur etched chassis there is no give to spring the wheels out and of course these are a press fit to the axle. So I am thinking the brakes may have to go on after the frames are painted, the sprung pick ups fitted and the motor in and working which is a nuisance as it will mean some hand painting rather than a simple spray everything!!!! It also means they will need to be glued in - at least at the top end. he rest can be soldered.

So I think I may have to go back to the bodies so I can get them advanced enough to check motor fitting before finishing off the chassis for both kits.

Frustrating!

Paul R

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Been a bit quiet on the soldering front although I have managed to solder in the cab window beading on the Connoisseur model and made a start on the Ravenscale. Jim puts two sets in his kits  - one the total length of the beading and the other in half pieces. I am using the latter with the Ravenscale as these (as ever) are not included in the kit!.

In the meantime I have come to the conclusion that I spend most of my time building stock and as I have enough to operate the layout now I should start on some of the scenic work so alongside the building of the kits I have made a start on Black Notley's long overdue station building which its based on Creating.

This is the state so far

Cressing-1.jpg.b6326929a595ffb662ae786ada7d4760.jpg

Its a foamboard core which will be covered by air drying clay in the same manner as for the signal box for those who remember that far back.

Since this was taken I have added a floor. A partition will be added next which separates the passenger facilities from the office.  The roof will need to be marked up before the clay is applied and there is an extended series of brick courses on the front and sides which I will from with card before the clay goes on.

I'll post as we go

Paul R

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

So not a great deal of modelling over Christmas but I have finished the shell of the station building and this morning I started covering it with terracotta air drying clay. This is similar to how Gordon Gravett makes his buildings although he tends to use a plywood shell as opposed to foam board.

So far I have covered the back and one of the end walls.

Cressing-2.jpg.1dbf9501e2dd68502f463ebe66a00e21.jpg

Once I have covered it and its completely dry I will take a sander to it to flatten the clay before scribing.

No further progress on the N7's to report but I may pick these up again over the weekend.

Paul R

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OK so a quick update on the station building. All the walls have had clay applied and an initial sand down with a detail sander. This has inevitable chipped a few bits that will need doing again and there are some cracks in the sides that I will fill with a clay slurry that I will make from water and some clay to make it slightly liquid and able to be applied with a Bruch.

The windows need filing out as they look a it misshapen currently.

Cressing-3.jpg.e0e8d484e3c9a74202243be0e3759a28.jpg

Cressing-4.jpg.5e6f4bb3214da5d19b8691a759b38fb7.jpg

Cressing-5.jpg.c4f02ecb93be9024799fc0b44a32c391.jpg

I am back to the Ravenscale N7 next as I need to fabricate the bunker steps and surrounds. The kit making no provision for these of course except as holes in the bunker sides.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress on the Ravenscale N7. The hot shows the left had side of both the Ravenscale (below) and the Connoisseur (above).

Jim's kit includes etched steps and cut out surrounds. There is nothing in the Ravenscale set of watches to form this component so I have had to resort to scratchbuildig again!.

I have fixed the surrounds to the Ravenscale kit from some brass drip I had in stock. I am just hoping there is enough to do the other side as I don't have any more of this particular size. The gaps at the corners will be filled with low melt solder once the steps have been soldered behind. I have some chequer plate to form the step treads which will go in last.

N7-14.jpg.e895bdf764463d5ed04a36e547c133f9.jpg

All needs cleaning up and then the other side to do. Avid readers will note there is no brass above the door cut out on the Ravenscale kit. Not sure how that is supposed to work but I'll address that once I have the Connoisseur soldered up.

I am using that as a model for the Ravenscale one given Jim's kits are so much better!

Meanwhile progress on the station building continues and the air clay is nearly sanded and filed to the correct finish. There are some cracks in the sides which I put down to using cheap clay but I will make a slurry up the I can paint in to all these and any other gaps that have developed.

Paul R

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a side project of two fish vans which will be finished IN BR Blue Express Parcels SPV livery. They will be useful additions to the parcels fleet for the Braintree Parcels circuit.

These are standard Parkside kits with a bit of lead added to the corners.

I have also started work on a GWR MOGO.

Progress has been slow on the Cressing station building but I am almost at the point I can start to scribe the brickwork.

SPV-1.jpg.92a7826eb238211909cd61a55a40ead3.jpg

SPV-2.jpg.4f6620af340b75dde898dbcc62b41496.jpg

All for now Paul R

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Not much going on at their moment. SPV's are nearly finished and a GWR Mogo is rapidly taking shape behind them.

I have also soldered up the sides and bunker end of the Connoisseur N7 but the Ravenscale is still at the bunker steps framing stage on one side. I'll work on this during the forthcoming week so I can hopefully get the Ravenscale to the same stage.

In the meantime the station building is now ready for scribing.

Cressing-6.jpg.76f8a526f543b28f538588fe5e7cca55.jpg

Incidentally I met Gordon Gravett at Tonbridge yesterday and showed him where I was at. He has been a long time inspiration for me and his Arun Quay layout was as usual exceptional. 

Updates as they come

Paul R

• Like 5

Some progress on the N7's with the cab sides and bunker end of the Connoisseur kit soldered up. There is much cleaning and filing still to do but progress snow being made albeit slowly.

N7-19.jpg.a7227367296611cdc08f13c9644342ba.jpg

N7-20.jpg.f10e809f1355d359fd20690455b3757f.jpg

On the Ravenscale kit I had e now finished the bunker step surrounds and have to fabricate the apertures inside for which I need some more brass.  A ,lot of cleaning up to do here too.

N7-21.jpg.d7934dceba59f0abf634bd037b9e009b.jpg

All for now Paul R

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

OK so here are the photos on the available layout boards

Wickham-2.jpg.d009e118f13ddaa38995e912d66e4d38.jpg

Wickham-4.jpg.d42c4527fe44053b4e87eadb229c9284.jpg

Wickham-5.jpg.25b939657d1884edf57157db43ce616d.jpg

Wickham-6.jpg.0b55717bd7a81da19a84c107e360c927.jpg

Wickham-7.jpg.05bdc6474ba19781d89e250451ee61a0.jpg

The mechanism is surprisingly small

Wickham-3.jpg.071f6d1950459b8aea436fbf36ebd37e.jpg

All for now

Paul R

Wickham-1.jpg

Edited by pwr
Incorrect photo included
  • Like 5

On 01/03/2023 at 11:39, Baggies1961 said:

That does look the dogs doo dahs!!

Their sound examples are not in yet I believe, how does it run?

Not tried it yet!. I need to get the rolling road out!

Paul R

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've been a bit quiet on here as I haven't really done much to report. I've been building wagons at our weekly church warm space and the fifth one is nearly finished. They are at the point of going to the paint shop when it's not so wet. I do my spraying outdoors - wife won't have it in the house - so I need a warm fine day and there hasn't been too many of them.

Still scribing the station building but nearly finished that too. I'll post pics of all these as and when

In the meantime I have finally got round to ballasting the extension board I made up about 3 years or so ago. Format follows the same process as described way back at the beginning on this thread.

Here is the dry mix being laid

Track-1.jpg.931678692220856165a7f2df9542ae1b.jpg

This is the ballast laid and wet with water and some washing up liquid

Track-2.jpg.60d3d172f7f6299925917f153f92bd11.jpgp

Then PVA added

Track-3.jpg.4e7a563697220956b8686b686df86d01.jpg

Track-4.jpg.aadc8247833541f0fc8e439e73477a5e.jpg

Just needs to dry out.

The board will have the gangers hut and Wickham Trolley shed on it at the right hadn't end which when set up is next to the signal box. I have pre-ordered the Ellis Clark kit which looked great.

All for now

Paul R

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

So after a period of inactivity interspersed with wagon building I have decided the time is right to insert another board into the layout which takes it to 36.5ft long. The intention was to have yet another board of this dimension to create and overall layout 40ft long which I can get up in the garden!

The last time I had the layout up in May 2022 I felt that the visible part of the layout needed a longer run into the station at the Braintree end, much like I did at the Witham end. All it will have is plain track so board connections are via the overlocking latches. I might need to run a supply there for a home signal (probably Dapol) but I can do that via the DCC concepts powered board alignment dowels. Simplicity was always the byword for Notley!

Anyhow I retrieved a spare board I had in the loft. It was one of the original short fiddle yards and was never used because it had a 10mm twist in it. Well several years in the loft have cured most of the twist but I needed to fix this once and for all. It's down to about 5mm now. My solution to this is to fit diagonal cross members glued and screwed whilst the board in fixed down straight so that when its released it stays put. Thats the theory. I read somewhere that all baseboards should be built with these to prevent warping but I never went that far. To be fair none of the other boards have warped/twisted in the last however many years I have been working on them.

The photos show where we are at.

Board-5-1.jpg.0c7bd5b661ef2ff349eaacb1dd1f3411.jpg

This is the board as retrieved from the loft with Willow want to help.

Board-5-2.jpg.6d7cd5e54490fe5797a09c959d89e4b1.jpg

These are the diagonal cross pieces cut ready for fixing

Board-5-3.jpg.6ca4a5a1140f63ec710b8de8cd341853.jpg

Prior to gluing the board was forced flat using these clamps

Board-5-4.jpg.267d1bb5adafe27eb5649a7e23f8211e.jpg

All done and waiting for the glue to dry. Once that's happened I'll get the adjoining boards out and fix the latches then tracklaying and wiring can begin.

I'll post more photos when I get that far

Paul R

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm Definitely behind you on this.... This will give you more scope as well as some great modelling.

Watching this with more than usual interest..

Good Luck Paul

Edited by jcarta
  • Thanks 1

So it's on with the track laying. 

Board-5-6.jpg.7eb1c0ea68e4e402ed392356303de787.jpg

This shows the new board connected to the Braintree end fiddle yard. Willow is not helping today!.

Board-5-8.jpg.1640ca6aec0d4b91a542b083a78751f4.jpg

This one shows the extension of the running line on to the new board

Board-5-9.jpg.487fbd5b94c640f3afcf611ce1b624cc.jpg

Board-5-10.jpg.2d3fb3cb1fe13787c166a1a2c1bc71c0.jpg

This shows the siding extension.

So now I am at the point of soldering the rails to the brass screws at the ends of the baseboards and then I can finish the wiring up.

Paul R

Board-5-7.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Always good to catch up with Willow 😎

Of the five Maine we have she is the nosiest! Always where she is not supposed to be and then looks at you all innocently 

Paul R

• Like 1

Got these for our 30th Wedding Anniversary 

HEA-1.jpg.da8dc6b6c3519c3eb2a2289990f40b69.jpg

HEA-2.jpg.0d77063a0229c1eb4c104659943eecba.jpg

HEA-3.jpg.8c48c9d70c141009ee2a4dc6d8c42475.jpg

HEA-4.jpg.ee62afefe869c612a7fb41a86f37b7d9.jpg

I was fortunate to get some before and for Christmas and with the extra two my daughter has promised form my birthday soon I will have a rake of 10 although I would like to get them to 12!

The thinking is that Felstead beet factory still receives coal by rail and that there is also a coal concentration depot at Braintree!

The wagons for both sites come in on a single service from somewhere up north and rather than split them at Braintree where they would have to be reverse shunted and occupy a busy single line, the train is brought to Black Notley where it is split. The first half goes off to Felstead and another engine is provided at Black Notley to take the remainder to Braintree Goods yard. The process is reversed coming back or on some occasions empties are taken out from Felstead via Bishops Stortford and the wagons are combined at Stratford to return north. 

It makes a good plausible story!

Paul

• Like 4