Humbrol satin varnish- why does it turn white?

Hi!

I recently bought a bottle of Humbrol Satin Varnish which I spray using an airbrush. It’s mostly pretty good, however I’m getting a small areas where it has turned white.

Is it something I’m doing wrong? I.e. putting it on too thick/drying it too quickly or slowly etc. Or is it just a limitation of the product itself?

Cheers

Rob

If I remember correctly in previous discussions of this there was a concensus that doing varnishing in damp conditions was one factor causing this to occur.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97852-why-would-varnish-white/

It seems to a common problem, do an internet search and you'll find it being discussed in forums as diverse as woodworking, modelling or yachting and I doubt they're all using Humbrol.

Edited by JeremyC

• RMweb Gold

If you are looking for an alternative, Halfords Satin Varnish is worth a look in a rattle can.

I have varnished a couple of bits this winter (the latest being a resprayed County (Halfords green and Hunbrol Enamal black) and a Virgin mk3 (Phoenix Paints Enamal), both of which have come out with a very good finish (and no white!)

In both cases I put the spray can on a shelf near to a radiator to warm up for a couple of hours before I sprayed, took the model outside the back door, varnished, then back into the warm to dry.

Matt and satin varnishes turn white for 2 reasons

1 blooming due to painting in a damp atmosphere

2 the most common, it's common for makers to use pumiss as a matting agent, which is fine in colour paints but not in clears.

The best flattest flatt namel I have ever used and still do is the one by Xtracolor, dont know if their Acrylic version is as good though.

Paul