RMweb

LNER 'Toad B' and 'Toad E' 20T Brake Van announced

Garethp8873

• RMweb Gold

Why? questioning without knowledge is not a good trait but happens too often on here! Certainly on the one they have used as a prototype https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e3f0437d9

as are the absurd ventilators

Paul

That seems a bit harsh. I will be removing mine if possible as they weren't always fitted.

Rob.

post-14122-0-75580400-1533100751.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

Why? questioning without knowledge is not a good trait but happens too often on here! Certainly on the one they have used as a prototype  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e3f0437d9

Paul

Paul,

The ventilators are absolutely fine - see my earlier post in this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/129879-lner-toad-b-20t-brake-van-announced/page-2&do=findComment&comment=3041372

Why? questioning without knowledge is not a good trait but happens too often on here! Certainly on the one they have used as a prototype  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e3f0437d9

Paul

Sorry paul, what I maybe should have said was most if not all bodyside lamps were removed in BR days, I did look through your site and other sources when I was building a Parkside wooden ducket van and the photos showing the side lamps look to be very early 50s judging by the background detail and with no date to confirm either way it was a surmise, right or wrong.

Dave.

I know they are correct. The absurdity is the strange high design. I acknowledge these were a LNER standard used on their other brake vans but appear unusual and old fashioned, most coaching stock introduced in the 1930s had much lower roof ventilators.

Sorry paul, what I maybe should have said was most if not all bodyside lamps were removed in BR days, I did look through your site and other sources when I was building a Parkside wooden ducket van and the photos showing the side lamps look to be very early 50s judging by the background detail and with no date to confirm either way it was a surmise, right or wrong.

Dave.

Dave perhaps that is what you should have said, but we don't know when this happened and it seems likely that most had them as they went into BR use and they were removed during the 1950s. The van photo I unnecessarily shared with the world has correct BR lettering, both in style and being Gill sans medium - which some workshops don't seem to have adopted until later 1949 and then it is clearly worn, so I would suggest the photo is 1952 onwards. It is not alone, https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e2e8d6bd6

You The link above is to an interesting photo of one with vacuum pipe. I also have a photo of one so equipped https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e31e12fc4 but even Peter Tatlow says he knows nothing about these and is rather dismissive of them.

Wagons exist in a time continuum, slowly evolving until the grim reaper appears so I do get upset when this is dismissed. As with every single model the companies make, or we make/modify/paint/weather they can only be as they existed at one place in time. Presumably, if Hornby find the model is successful we can expect some other models depicting different time periods - whether they correct the lamps we will have to wait and see. It is a well chosen prototype with a long life and many different appearances. In the meantime certainly remove them especially if later BR is being modelled.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know they are correct. The absurdity is the strange high design. I acknowledge these were a LNER standard used on their other brake vans but appear unusual and old fashioned, most coaching stock introduced in the 1930s had much lower roof ventilators.

I was under the impression that the later, lower profile, torpedo ventilators had to be fitted to coaches to keep them within the loading gauge as coach roofs got higher with the introduction of more modern designs, but with wagons (and brake vans) that wasn't a concern so the older, taller design continued to be used.

I was under the impression that the later, lower profile, torpedo ventilators had to be fitted to coaches to keep them within the loading gauge as coach roofs got higher with the introduction of more modern designs, but with wagons (and brake vans) that wasn't a concern so the older, taller design continued to be used.

They lower profile ventilators appear to have been introduced at the time Gresley took over as C&W Superintendent of the GNR, when clerestories were replaced by the now familiar, trademark even, high domed roof - the GNR had a very generous loading gauge but it was not that generous. The new type of ventilator was also adopted for ECJS carriages from then on.

Dave perhaps that is what you should have said, but we don't know when this happened and it seems likely that most had them as they went into BR use and they were removed during the 1950s. The van photo I unnecessarily shared with the world has correct BR lettering, both in style and being Gill sans medium - which some workshops don't seem to have adopted until later 1949 and then it is clearly worn, so I would suggest the photo is 1952 onwards. It is not alone, https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e2e8d6bd6

You The link above is to an interesting photo of one with vacuum pipe. I also have a photo of one so equipped https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e31e12fc4 but even Peter Tatlow says he knows nothing about these and is rather dismissive of them.

Wagons exist in a time continuum, slowly evolving until the grim reaper appears so I do get upset when this is dismissed. As with every single model the companies make, or we make/modify/paint/weather they can only be as they existed at one place in time. Presumably, if Hornby find the model is successful we can expect some other models depicting different time periods - whether they correct the lamps we will have to wait and see. It is a well chosen prototype with a long life and many different appearances. In the meantime certainly remove them especially if later BR is being modelled.

Paul

I'd guess the 1950 Rule Book may be a clue here ( without my copy to hand ) and standardisation of side lamp meaning : the presence of a FIXED side lamp in daylight does not help a signalman determine whether a train is complete and I presume the LNER Rule Book only necessitated a single TAIL lamp to be in place ...... conversely the Southern considered a pair of ( removable ) side lamps to be adequate without the need for a third lamp ....... if I remember correctly, a full set of three - REMOVABLE - lamps was required from 1950.

The 'Toad' design was based on the NER V4 Van, which had the same basic layout and, yes, was fitted with the same type of ventilator. With general service freight rolling stock being designed in former NE drawing offices and built at NER workshops, change would not come for as long as it could be resisted.

I think I may pick up a BR one as well although I suspect they were rare on the Southern Region.

On that note, it was common to find a wagon out of region in the days of the big 4, (E.G LNER wagon in wales) but did the same happen with brake vans?

On that note, it was common to find a wagon out of region in the days of the big 4, (E.G LNER wagon in wales) but did the same happen with brake vans?

Simply, no to the last question. However a through working between home company areas that traversed 'foreign' metals might retain the home company's brake van.

G'Day Folks

I have always wondered why ventilators were fitted to brake vans, with the amount of freezing air coming under the doors, (regardless of what time of year it was) they were the last thing they needed.

manna

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

I have always wondered why ventilators were fitted to brake vans, with the amount of freezing air coming under the doors, (regardless of what time of year it was) they were the last thing they needed.

manna

Unfortunately, we'll not be able to see Hornby's detailed rendition of old newspapers stuffed into vents, under doors etc. ...........................

• Like 3

G'Day Folks

manna

Perhaps they provided the air supply to help the coal in the stove burn properly, to keep the guard warm from the freezing draughts and so he could heat his tea and so on?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

BR version R6834 has arrived with Kernow according to their newsletter :)

Actually the email says; 

"Hornby has let us know that the following items will be with us within the next week of two:"

So not far away.

Mark in OZ

Paul

The vacuum pipe is painted white suggesting a through pipe and the pipe running on the outside of the van suggests a later addition!

Mark Saunders

Hi Rob, nothing about the why's and wherefores of the model but a question about the photo. This would appear to be The Wenford Bridge Branch. Do you have any details about the date or occasions please. 

The brake in the picture appears to be in bauxite indicating vac fitted I believe. I've only seen grey examples on the branch before. 

Thanks

Hi Rob, nothing about the why's and wherefores of the model but a question about the photo. This would appear to be The Wenford Bridge Branch. Do you have any details about the date or occasions please. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69736-pencarrow-nothing-to-see-move-along-please/page-5&do=findComment&comment=1003606

The brake in the picture appears to be in bauxite indicating vac fitted I believe. I've only seen grey examples on the branch before. 

Thanks

Through piped not fitted.  As this one https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/lnerbrake/e31e12fc4

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

It is the Wenford branch but no idea of the date time etc or photographer. Apologies for lack of help

Rob.