Good to see the CAD work continuing, especially Seaford and the Crane Tank, which are looking very nice! I don't like to pester, but is there any chance I could have my G6 back soon please? I'm looking into building some LSWR wagons eventually and it'd be nice to have something to shunt them!

Edited by Skinnylinny

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to see the very talented Sem actually finish some of the things he's started, rather than embark on fresh projects that might also fail to get finished.

As an older chap, of a somewhat gittish temperament, I am no doubt forthright to the point of insulting at times, but I do feel that Talent is only part of an equation that requires the addition of Application and Discipline in order to equal Success!

Some of us have been waiting around a long time for developments, developments that we were assured would happen over the summer!

• RMweb Premium

He’s probably gone away to the Banamas, as it is summer holidays right now. Then he is a sensitive artist, just like me, only I worked on BR, so I don’t let little niggles about slow production get me down.

In the meantime, we'll just have to rally ourselves and try to make more of an effort to do our own things!

My current project (see second line of my signature), although of pre-group origin, is destined for a late1950's/early60's layout. so probably has no place on here.

Jim

I would post more if I had anything more to add, but hopefully as soon as all the bits arrive I finally get on with doing some actual modelling! :D

No one worry, Sem is fine and will hopefully be back to posting sooner rather than later. :)

- Alex

No doubt these days to be booed off the stage at the urgings of populists as the ultimate and original "liberal elite", it was lawyers who were responsible for western democracy, from the Constitutional opposition to Charles I in the 1630s through to the Men of 1789 in the National Assembly in France.

Mind you, I admit that both Maximillian Robespierre and Tony Blair were lawyers, but we need not let the odd bloody dictator or devious warmonger get in the way of a good generalisation. 

Has anyone considered whether Missenden might simply be away on holiday?

• Like 1

I think you missed off a semi-circle on the first letter of one of these words, and is it not spelt with 2 'e's?

The retired travelling salesman called his house 'Dumroaming', the retired dentist called his 'Dunfillin',the retired lawyer called his 'Dunrobin'! :-)

Jim (exiting quickly stage left)

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No doubt these days to be booed off the stage at the urgings of populists as the ultimate and original "liberal elite", it was lawyers who were responsible for western democracy, from the Constitutional opposition to Charles I in the 1630s through to the Men of 1789 in the National Assembly in France.

Mind you, I admit that both Maximillian Robespierre and Tony Blair were lawyers, but we need not let the odd bloody dictator or devious warmonger get in the way of a good generalisation. 

Has anyone considered whether Missenden might simply be away on holiday?

Simon de Montfort. Wat Tiler. John Wycliffe. Jan Hus. Gerard Winstanley.

Even Lao-tse.

Not lawyers: even for a lawyer, that’s an outstanding piece of arrogance.

Lawyers were not responsible for western “democracy”, though they were responsible for shaping it into the form it is, i.e. a republic which periodically elects leaders, but which is also responsible for an enormous conservatism which keeps wealth and power firmly in the hands of an elite, partly self-electing and partly hereditary.

Simon de Montfort. Wat Tiler. John Wycliffe. Jan Hus. Gerard Winstanley.

Even Lao-tse.

Not lawyers: even for a lawyer, that’s an outstanding piece of arrogance.

Lawyers were not responsible for western “democracy”, though they were responsible for shaping it into the form it is, i.e. a republic which periodically elects leaders, but which is also responsible for an enormous conservatism which keeps wealth and power firmly in the hands of an elite, partly self-electing and partly hereditary.

I don't see any of those in your first line as precursors to western liberal democracy, any more than was Oliver Cromwell or the Runnymede Barons.  Any nudge they did give in that direction was incidental, indeed, antithetical, to their aims and pre-occupations.

Whereas, lawyers tend to be concerned with the rule of law - the issue in the 1630s and the cornerstone of any democratic system - and are rather good at framing constitutions.   

Without lawyers, all you would have is oppression interspersed with mob rule.

Just face it, lawyers set you free!

• RMweb Gold

No. They didn’t. Usually, the have simply oiled the chains.

Without the people I mention, particularly de Montfort, there would still have been absolute rule. Each was an essential step towards greater involvement of the populace. Every step was a gradual increase in the number of voices involved.

Trying to work out how universal suffrage was driven by, rather than frustrated and delayed by, lawyers - which nearly pushed this country to revolution in 1832.

Loss of ego is the only thing that sets you free. That’s going to take you some time... ;)