Love the work on the LNWR model. Have you decided on a name & number for it?

I know it is only a first prototype but I greatly admired the work you put in to the model of Derwent for Edwardian. 3D seems to be the way to go for models which have a narrow fanbase - I'm hanging out for one myself when you have time to refine the print. If you are looking for someone to do a test build I'm quite happy to buy a development model.

Below is a suggestion for another 3D print. The Drummond 'Bug' was released as a kit sometime in the past but was outside of my limited spending power at the time. Seeing what Edwardian did with the power bogie for his model gave me the idea that I could power the Bug in the same way with a Spud or Black Beetle fitted under the saloon part. Even though I mainly model GWR and to a lesser extent LNWR I would love to have one of these running around in LSWR green with the salmon and brown coach part.

Dave R.

post-24168-0-90396200-1524647308_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

attachicon.gifIMG_1341.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1344.JPG

Not perfect but almost there.

Craftsman Clever indeed, Sem.

You should be particularly proud of this one.

I don't need one, but I find I want one!

One in that lovely poured silky medium that Linny's has his G6 in would look lovely with those LNWR coaches I have knocking around.  Could one find its way from Northants to CA?  Mind you, no doubt too long for the TT!

Just to let you know SEM, that Locomotive Pioneer book is back ready for you to download from the library!

Hard copy also available at Worthing, Rustington, Bognor Regis and Chichester (not sure where on West Sussex coast you are!) Have a good read :)

This was offered to friends, but due to a limited response I have decided to open it up to anyone:

I am currently disposing of some stock and other bits and pieces prior to a house move, so thought I'd give you lot first dibs. There is quite a bit of tat, but you never know: here is the listing, with the 'taken' bits crossed out. There are some other bits, but most of the stock I own is here: https://www.snupps.com/sem34090

Please feel free to enquire, and offer a price, and I will tell you whether or not you can or can't have it at that price! Or have it at all... if it's in LBSCR livery then don't bother!

1x Triang bogie flat. £2

1x Hornby Railroad Gresley Brake, sans bogies. £4

1x Triang BR Std Tender £3

1x Triang B12 4-6-0. £30

1x Lima J50 0-6-0. £25

So, body parts...

1x Hornby LNER A3 Smokebox, Boiler and buffer section. 50p

1x Hornby LNER A3 Cab.

1x Mainline Royal Scot Boiler, Smokebox and Firebox. 50p

1x Hornby LNER A3 Boiler section. 10p

1x Hornby Peppercorn A1 Cab.

1x Mainline Std 4 Cab, Firebox & Boiler.

1x Mainline Royal Scot Firebox. 10p

1x Bachmann Class 03 Cab. 25p

1x Triang LNER A3 Cab.

1x Triang LNER A3 Smokebox, Boiler & Firebox. 50p

1x Hornby Gresley Corridor Tender. £5

1x Bachmann Class 03 Running Plate. 50p

1x Mainline Royal Scot Smokebox. 5p

1x Lima 4w Coach. 30p

1x Lima 0-4-0 chassis. £1.50

1x Triang BR Std 3MT Body. 50p

1x Triang Princess Body. 50p

1x Hornby Breakdown Crane.

1x Lima American 0-4-0T Body. 30p

1x Triang Jinty Cab and Bunker. 15p

1x Triang M7 smokebox & Tanks. 20p

1x Hornby Dublo R1 Front end. 25p

1x Mainline Royal Scot Cab. 25p

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

REMINDER!

The current (out 10th May) Model Rail has part 2 of the LBSCR Terrier feature.....the locos sold on to others...

I have had a quick look today, and it looks interesting.

I am hoping to buy a copy on Wednesday from a Tesco, as last months issue from Tesco was a bundle with Steam Railway mag for £4.99.... ;)

• Like 1

Was browsing down at Waterstones today and saw these two.

Great Western Small-Wheeled Double-Framed 4-4-0 Tender Locomotives: Duke, Bulldog, Dukedog and 3521 Classes

post-3744-0-99970100-1526399090.jpg

The Times : The First Railways

post-3744-0-26860300-1526399212.jpeg

• Like 3

REMINDER!

The current (out 10th May) Model Rail has part 2 of the LBSCR Terrier feature.....the locos sold on to others...

I have had a quick look today, and it looks interesting.

I am hoping to buy a copy on Wednesday from a Tesco, as last months issue from Tesco was a bundle with Steam Railway mag for £4.99.... ;)

Update on Model Rail...

Loco Spotlight Stroudley's 'Terriers' Part 2. (The Locos sold by the LBSCR)

Pages 88 - 93.

Pages 88/89

Introduction and large photo of "Freshwater", W8 in Southern Green at IOW Steam Railway.

Pg. 90.

Details of 6 destinations. 3 small BW pics, (K&ESR, L&SWR & SECR) and one colour pic (Newhaven Harbour. Fenchurch 1958).

Pg.91.

Details of 4 destinations. 3 B/W pics. (S&MR, WC&PR & EHLR). Reccomended Reading. What's Next (Details of Part 1backnumber!).

Pg.92.

"Second-hand 'Terrier' walk-round". 7, mainly detail pics, of BR 32670 (Ex K&ESR, with unique modified bunker...)

Pg. 93.

Isle of Wight.The IOW Terriers. 2 BW photos, inluding 1 with Stroudley type coach set 49 (Both 1936). List of details of IOW Terriers.

No bundle deal this month though! :(

Wow! I'm posting in my own thread...

I had posted this elsewhere, but here is better:

On a completely separate note (  :offtopic: ), does anyone have any information on this design of LSWR van and how awkward a conversion from a GWR van would be:

2031-5513-LSWR-Engineers-Dept.-Ballast-P

Also, did the LSWR (or LBSCR, or any other Southern constituent!) have anything that resembled this:

post-33498-0-58820800-1526908952_thumb.png

I appear to have acquired one... along with a Roco 0-6-0T (HOe), a K's Terrier, a PC models Toplight, a K's autocoach, an SR CCT and a Ratio GWR 4w Third.

Actually, are there any Southern constituent vehicles those could represent with minimal modification? Other than the terrier... that has only one thing destined for it: IEG, No.77 plates and a name beginning with 'W'!

The NG loco is already finished in BR Green (Late Crest) as 32001 (The I1x that was allocated that number was withdrawn in 1948, so I have assumed that its number (and the numbers of other I1x's which were gone by 1951) were re-allocated to the fleet of locomotives which worked the network of narrow gauge lines that comprised the South Sussex Narrow Gauge Railways, having previously carried single digit numbers prefixed by 'F' which denoted the fact that the locos were allocated to Fontwell. The locos were overhauled at Brighton and when absorbed into the BR 5-digit numbering scheme they were placed in the 'Brighton' 32xxx series.

32001 is modelled as it appeared around 1965. It was in this year that the German-Built (pre-WW1) 0-6-0T was transferred from the South Sussex lines to the South Dorset system radiating from Lulworth, and she was allocated to 70G (NG Shed) at Weymouth. During this time the loco was overhauled at Eastleigh. She was withdrawn from service in 1971 when the South Dorset lines to the West of Lulworth were closed and operations were concentrated on the section running from Studland in the East through Swanage and Kimmeridge to a remodelled East Lulworth. The line was to be privatised at the same time as the only other remaining steam line (the Vale of Rheidol) in 1989.

Following her 1971 withdrawal, 32001 was stored at Weymouth on a piece of isolated NG track in the area of the Western sidings, before being purchased by an 85 year old Sir Eustace Missenden in 1972, and she was transferred to the Brockham museum. Unfortunately, Sir Eustace passed away the following year and the loco remained in a derelict state at Brockham. In 1982 32001 was moved to the museum's new site at Amberley. There the loco remained until 1985, when it was purchased by the embryonic Slindon Vale Railway Society which aimed to restore the loco to running order for use on the line between the original depot at Fontwell and the terminus junction at Nore Wood. During the restoration period D2 (Transferred from Sussex to Dorset at the same time as 32001 but remaining in service until 1983) handled services.

I will say more later about the other bits, but must go for now...

• Like 1

On a completely separate note (  :offtopic: ), does anyone have any information on this design of LSWR van and how awkward a conversion from a GWR van would be:

Also, did the LSWR (or LBSCR, or any other Southern constituent!) have anything that resembled this:

attachicon.gifdownload.png

I appear to have acquired one... along with a Roco 0-6-0T (HOe), a K's Terrier, a PC models Toplight, a K's autocoach, an SR CCT and a Ratio GWR 4w Third.

Actually, are there any Southern constituent vehicles those could represent with minimal modification? Other than the terrier... that has only one thing destined for it: IEG, No.77 plates and a name beginning with 'W'!

Very nice indeed!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifdownload.png

Don't mutilate that K15!

Roxey do some nice LSWR full brakes of that general ilk.  Second-hand you can find them with a thin, sort of vac-formed-like, plastic sides, roof and ends.

PC toplights are always worth it.  Replace the sides, if you don't like the method they use, but as a bag of component, it must be £30-50 of stuff!  I think in terms of GW conversions, of course; I don't suppose they're much good for anything Southern.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

Right. The Autocoach is remaining as an autocoach (it is quite well-built) and will probably end up in BR Crimson, simply because all my Western stuff, and the layout it will run on, dates from between 1940 and 1960.

The toplight will get a new roof to replace the card one it currently has and will be refitted onto its bogies.

The K15 may stay as-is as it is relatively well-built, but if an LSWR equivalent can be found then it will be repainted.

The 4w third will go into full GWR livery if no LSWR/SECR/LBSCR alternative can be found.

The CCT will probably go into BR(S) Green to go with my BR(S) stock.

The spare set of Gibson Mansells may find a use under one of Linny's Stroudley's.

• Like 2

I hereby present another fictional history! The only truth of these Narrow Gauge railways can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_and_Arundel_Canal and the general geography, place names, and history outside of the narrow gauge should be fairly accurate.

The Narrow Gauge Railways of Southern Sussex

Part One: The South Sussex Light Railway

The origins of this constituent of what has become widely known in railway circles as the ‘Sussex Narrow Gauge Railways’ are the earliest of any of the narrow gauge railways in the area, being directly traceable to the canal that once ran from a junction with the River Arun (near to the present-day site of Ford –LBSCR- station) to connect with the Chichester Ship Canal at Hunston (Near to the former site of the Hundred of Manhood Tramway bridge). As early as 1878 it had been proposed to turn the canal over to a railway, at that time intended to be to standard gauge, but the move was not progressed due to opposition from the London Brighton & South Coast company who feared that a second standard gauge line running almost parallel to its own could prove an inconvenience in the future. The canal company itself was, at this time, also deeply opposed to the move. A more-or-less identical proposal reared its head, this time originating from one of the canal company’s directors, in 1895 but, being standard gauge it was once again opposed by the LBSCR. This latter company was by now concerned further by other railways appearing in the area as the rival London & South Western Company had begun to back a proposed line running from Worthing Northwards towards Ashington (The Mid Sussex Light Railway) and it was feared the rival company would back the Ford – Hunston proposal too.

The Canal Company director concerned was a Mr K. Nearholmer whose family could be traced to the principality of Birlstone –near to Tunbridge Wells- in East Sussex. He and his long-time associate a Mr Theophilius O’doolight had drawn up the proposal from 1893, and following the rejection Nearholmer revised the scheme whilst O’doolight had returned to his Metropolitan Pyramid Co. Works at Paltry Circus –East London- to focus on other matters. Nearholmer revised the plans so that the proposed railway would be instead constructed to a narrow gauge, thus permitting a double-track to be laid along the bed of the (presumably!) drained canal to light-railway standards. Such a railway would have a distinct cost advantage, a fact which he knew would appeal greatly to his fellow directors of the floundering canal company, and would be less likely to be opposed by the LBSCR.

Nearholmer travelled to the offices of the Metropolitan Pyramid Co. (MPC) in February 1896 to meet with O’doolight and finalise the exact details of the plan. O’doolight is known to have had a quantity of narrow-gauge track in storage at the MPC works, in addition to that used for the internal narrow-gauge works railway. It is therefore assumed with reasonable certainty that this stored track was that used for the initial construction of the railway. According to the MPC’s ledgers for 1895 the track was bought second-hand for the very reasonable sum of £30, there being the equivalent of 5 Miles worth of prefabricated track ‘panels’, advertised to O’doolight as being 2-foot gauge (This being the gauge used by the internal railway of the MPC’s works). Upon inspection, and following delivery by rail from the supplier (A rather less than reputable East-End scrap merchant) it was found that the track had been mis-sold to the company and was in fact to the, possibly unique, gauge of 2 feet & 2 1/8th Inches. Having been such a reasonably priced purchase the track is then believed to have been placed into store until such a time that it may be of use. I think it is not a mere coincidence that the track panels were listed in the MPC books as being disposed of in exactly the same week as track arrived for the construction of the new railway in Sussex.

With a source of track, for initial construction at any rate, Nearholmer and O’doolight presented the revised proposal to the board of directors. The plans were scrutinised in every detail and soon fifteen of the eighteen directors, excluding Mr Nearholmer, had voted in favour of the proposal, with two of the others following soon after a meal and drink in the Station Hotel opposite the LBSCR station in Barnham. The eighteenth never voted in favour, as he had owned a barge leasing firm in the basin at Chichester, but died in mysterious circumstances soon after the meeting. A Light Railway Order was applied for and quickly obtained.

With all of the remaining directors satisfied and the LRO obtained construction of the new line commenced at Hunston, with the initial line being laid from there eastwards towards Lidney. Horse-drawn operations commenced between those two settlements from New Year’s Day in 1897, pending the arrival of the line’s first three locomotives in February. As the line was, at that date, built to an entirely unique gauge it was required to order new locomotives especially. These, numbers 1-3 arrived from the works of Koppel, in Germany, via the LBSCR station at Chichester and were drawn by horses for the short distance from the station yard to the canal basin before being loaded onto barges and drawn up the canal to Hunston. This trio must have presented a highly irregular sight to both locals and railwayacs en-route to Hunston both on account of their means of delivery and their Germanic appearance, quite unlike the Stroudley and Billinton locomotives then running on the LBSCR with their polished brass and ochre paintwork. These 0-6-0 tank engines were painted crimson and were lined out in gold, much like the engines of the Midland Railway, but bore no resemblance to anything seen in Southern England at that point with their box-like appearance and exposed pipework. Number one was adorned with a copper-capped chimney, but beyond this and the various identification plates there was nothing in the way of brasswork or finery. Indeed I should imagine some railwayacs would have been quite simply horrified by their appearance!

The reasoning behind these locomotives being ordered from a German company are still unclear as I write, but the quirky (to British eyes at any rate) trio carried out their required duties along their short double-track line well.

When the time came for the expansion to the West towards Barnham and Yapton came it was decided that the unique gauge of the line was to cause problems with procuring further rolling stock, as the sole supplier of that stock already in use had ceased to trade some months previously, and no low-cost alternative could be sourced. It was, therefore, deemed to be cheaper to regauge the lines and existing stock than to persevere with the idiosyncrasies of the line. The new gauge chosen was the common 2-foot gauge, by then being employed by the newly emerging ‘Slindon Valley Railway’ (Which was an ambitious downs-crossing LBSCR backed scheme running from Midhurst in the North-West, through its namesake, to the coast at Pagham Harbour) and as such it was proposed that a junction would be made in the vicinity of Barnham Court and the church of St Mary. The three locomotives were dispatched to Hunslet for re-gauging and general overhaul and returned in 1900 with a decidedly more ‘English’ outline, having gained a revised pattern of smokebox-door, a neatened pipework arrangement and an new lined green livery to prevent conflict with the livery by then chosen by the LSWR-Backed Mid Sussex Light Railway (Which had selected a crimson scheme). It was at this time that the locomotives gained Westinghouse automatic braking apparatus in order to permit through working with Slindon Valley trains when a junction was eventually made with it.

Having crossed the LBSCR’s Bognor branch by means of a bridge the line progressed rapidly within the cutting formed by the canal bed to Barnham Court. Here the line remained in its cutting and passed under the Slindon Valley Railway line and on to Yapton, where a new interim terminus was created. A junction station was gradually built up at Barnham Court (Later to be known as St Mary’s Junction) and in time this became the base for the SSLR, with the workshops also being relocated to this site. Until such a time that new locomotives could be ordered, a pair of Hunslets (No.7 ‘Sir Lancelot’ and No.8 ‘Pamela’) were hired from the Slindon Valley Company to work on the new extension to Yapton. With such success was this pair met with –No.8 especially, being a tender loco though essentially to the same design as No.7- that it was decided to order a raft of Hunslet 0-4-0ST and 0-4-0STT locomotives. Numbers 4-8 were delivered as Saddle Tank/Tender locomotives, whilst Numbers 8-12 were delivered as plain saddle tanks. These were delivered in the same lined green livery as that applied to numbers 1-3 during their overhauls. This new 12-strong fleet proved to be more than adequate for the requirements of the line, and proved so even after the final extension (under original ownership) was made to Ford.

In 1902, due to benefits perceived for all parties, the Slindon Valley Railway and South Sussex Light Railway companies were merged to form a singular company known as the Slindon & South Sussex Railway. This new company was, however, to last only a matter of months before it became amalgamated into the LBSCR. Following the takeover no time was wasted by Brighton in making its power known, and each of the locomotives was taken into the main works (at Brighton) to be overhauled then outshopped in the distinctive ‘Improved Engine Green’ of that company. All of the locomotives appeared in this livery except from No.25 (Former SSLR No.2) and No.28 (Former SSLR No.5) which weren’t overhauled until after Douglas Earle Marsh took over from Billinton at Brighton and introduced his umber livery. No. 25 and 28 were amongst the very first, if not the first to carry the new livery. These latter two locomotives also received some –now commonly recognised as trademark ‘Marsh’- features that had previously not made an appearance on the LBSCR. The remaining 32 Narrow Gauge locomotives had received several Stroudley and Billinton fixtures during their overhauls, including varying types of safety valves and (On locomotives 2-6) Stroudley cab roofs.

Initially upon the amalgamation of the original two companies the SSLR locomotives had simply been renumbered as a continuation of the SVR numbering scheme (which had previously concluded with No.23 ‘Narcissus’, a rebuilt Hunslet 0-4-0TT). It was decided in 1906, to avoid duplication with other LBSCR locomotives that ‘90’ would be added as a prefix to single digit locomotive numbers and ‘9’ as a prefix to double-digit locomotive numbers. In this way the locomotives could retain their own numbering scheme without conflicting with other LBSCR locomotives. As such 1-9 became 901-909 and 10-34 became 910-934. By this time locomotives 904 (4), 907 (7), 912 (12), 922 (22), 929 (SSLR No.8) and 932 (SSLR No.10) had acquired the umber livery during general repairs, but the remainder retained their Stroudley livery.

By 1914, 6 members of the fleet retained the livery with No.902 and No.930 being the last two retaining this livery on either the Narrow Gauge system or on the LBSCR system as a whole, with 902 losing the livery to Umber in 1920 and 930 somehow managing to retain the livery –in a reasonable state it must be added- until 1924 when, as the last ochre loco, she was withdrawn from active service by the newly-formed Southern Railway and placed in store at Barnham Court works before being moved to the Eastleigh Paintshop for preservation (alongside IoWR ‘Ryde’ and Drummond’s F9). Thankfully she escaped Bulleid’s wartime cull of the exhibits by being reinstated to the NG lines, still in her 1902 paintwork and very much looked after during her return to active service. The little Hunslet 0-4-0ST (Former SSLR No.8) was stored at Barnham Court once again until 1953 when she passed to the British Transport Commission’s collection of Relics and was preserved in the Clapham museum. In 1965 she was once again reinstated and was sent to Dorset to work enthusiast’s special trains over the 2ft gauge network between Swanage and Weymouth, residing at Lulworth shed for most of the time between 1965 and 1970, when she was returned to the museum collection at York. There she was displayed until 2009, when she was sent back to Barnham Court once more on loan to the revived Slindon Valley Railway, now the Slindon Vale Railway Society, and she returned to steam once more in 2010. Surprisingly, due to her careful treatment, the 1902 paintwork has been able to be sensitively restored rather than replaced and as such she remains the only locomotive to have retained Improved Engine Green after the grouping.

Meanwhile, back with the original amalgamated railway, the First World War had seen a new development, this being a Branchline from the former SVR station at Felpham to the aircraft factory at Middleton-on-Sea. The conflict saw the most active period for the line, and the only one in which 100% availability of locomotives was ever required. To help ease the strain on the locomotives the Ministry of Munitions supplied a quintet of the new Hunslet 4-6-0T’s then being built for use on the War Department Light Railways in France. Prior to these a pair of new Baldwin (USA) 4-6-0PT locomotives had been dispatched to Barnham Court for service, but had proven unpopular with crews. This pair were returned to WDLR service and the quintet of Hunslets dispatched in their place. The Hunslets were much better received as they featured a very similar cab layout and had many common components with some of the former SVR locomotives (That railway’s No.20, 21, 22 & 23) with which the family resemblance was quite apparent.

The grouping of 1923 saw the line brought under Southern Railway jurisdiction and in the earlier years of that company’s life some attempt was made to encourage tourism to the line. The company even went so far as to get all of the stock, besides the special case of No.930 detailed above, and infrastructure repainted within a couple of years, and purchased the –now surplus- quintet of Hunslets from the War Department. Unfortunately no attempts really paid off and the line remained in its traditional freight-carrying role. Between 1930 and 1934 several of the 0-4-0ST’s were transferred to the South Dorset narrow gauge lines and this set a precedent for what was to follow until the very last locomotives left Barnham Court in 1965 upon the closure of the South Sussex Lines. British Railways had attempted to renew patronage via the introduction of a pair of railcars and a few diesel locomotives (D1-3) but all was in vain as the receipts continued to fall. By 1964 it was widely joked about in the locality that there was always more crew on a train than there were passengers, and as the crew normally numbered no more than two or three it was clear that closure was imminent. The last stock was gone by November 1965, and official closure followed just days later –Southdown Motor Services had provided a replacement passenger service for the preceding two months. The South Dorset system lingered on in full until 1971, when services were cut back to Lulworth in the West and Studland in the East.

Unusually for a ‘Beeching Era’ closure no track was lifted on the Sussex system until 1969, and even then this was only the outer reaches. The core from Barnham Court up to Slindon and out to Yapton (The latter forming the only remaining SSLR section by the end of operations) was never lifted, and British Rail was first approached by preservationists regarding its preservation in 1978, some 13 years after closure. British Rail sold the track and formation for only a nominal sum of £1 to the ‘Slindon Vale Railway Society’ in 1980 thanks to the backing of the Duke of Norfolk in the venture. Since then an ever increasing amount of original stock from the SVR and SSLR has been re-grouped at Barnham Court works, including two of the three original SSLR Koppel 0-6-0T’s, whilst the third remains in Dorset. There are currently 20 steam locomotives on site, of which 16 are original SSLR or SVR machines, and all 5 BR-Era diesel vehicles. 11 other SSLR and SVR locomotives are preserved, with 6 in Dorset, 2 at the Amberley Museum and the remaining 3 survivors are held at private sites. The other locomotives from the SSLR and SVR were scrapped in the 1960s during the winding down of services.

Oh, and...

H4-P-001_3345090_Qty1_1.jpg

was ordered about ten minutes ago...

Oh, and:

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

Love the work on the LNWR model. Have you decided on a name & number for it?

I know it is only a first prototype but I greatly admired the work you put in to the model of Derwent for Edwardian. 3D seems to be the way to go for models which have a narrow fanbase - I'm hanging out for one myself when you have time to refine the print. If you are looking for someone to do a test build I'm quite happy to buy a development model.

Below is a suggestion for another 3D print. The Drummond 'Bug' was released as a kit sometime in the past but was outside of my limited spending power at the time. Seeing what Edwardian did with the power bogie for his model gave me the idea that I could power the Bug in the same way with a Spud or Black Beetle fitted under the saloon part. Even though I mainly model GWR and to a lesser extent LNWR I would love to have one of these running around in LSWR green with the salmon and brown coach part.

Dave R.

I have done a design of 'the Bug' for 3D printing, drawings were in MRC a few years ago.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123844-more-3d-lms-fowler-2-6-4t-in-n-gauge/page-9