I have been asked by the commissioner of the above wagon plate to ask if there would be interest from others to order BR wagon plates (any number, potentially any workshop, date and lot number) or indeed any other wagon plates that conform to the above shape and general specification. I was asked to post this as it could potentially lead to a reduced cost, with a 1:1 scale (the size these are being made at) plate being roughly £100 to have printed.

If anyone is interested, please PM me.

Aha, no worries there then :) I think I might be suffering from Maslow's Hammer: ""I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." 

Rephrased: When all you have is a laser cutter, everything looks like something that can be assembled from flat laser-cut parts"!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

post-33498-0-00615100-1540564208_thumb.jpg

A purchase was today made...

Now, what's wrong with it? Basically, can anyone tell me what would need doing to backdate this wagon to something approximating the prototype or at least looking more appropriate, as I think this one is to the RCH 1923 specification.

Not 1923 spec. if a mineral wagon with 5 planks in its side sheeting. Not 1923 spec. if 10 tons load in a mineral wagon.

The cubic capacity is possibly too low for a rated load of 10 tons; I'd have expected a load of 8 tons.  The tare is consistent with a low-capacity wagon.

If you wanted to back-date to before, roughly, WW1, then it probably needs to have brakes only one side. Also, check the solebar plates as they may bear dates or reflect charing/hire schemes later than your period.

• RMweb Gold

Can you find a photo of the prototype on which it is based?

Can you provide some dimensions?

An earlier spec would probably be a 15’ long body on a 9’ wheelbase, but the standards were as much about common components as individual designs.

Is the side door 4 planks or 5?

• RMweb Gold

Typically, though not always, a 5 plank coal wagon has a 4 plank door and a 7 plank has a 5 plank door, as the top plank(s) have an important role to play in the structural integrity of a wagon designed to carry heavy, bulky goods like coal.

Edited by Regularity

attachicon.gifIMG_20181026_145054.jpg

A purchase was today made...

Now, what's wrong with it? Basically, can anyone tell me what would need doing to backdate this wagon to something approximating the prototype or at least looking more appropriate, as I think this one is to the RCH 1923 specification.

You need to have a very good excuse for buying that.

It's a RCH 1923 5-plank in an, IIRC, 1895 livery, certainly pre-Grouping.  The wagon that wore this livery was very different in appearance and probably shorter.  The only thing it had in common with Oxford's wagon is that both had 5-planks.

RCH 1923 5-planks were probably rated at 12 tons, but would not be able to carry that in coal, so 10 tons sounds about right, but not for a pre-Grouping 5-plank!

Unless you wanted to buy a RCH 1923 wagon (and repaint it to an accurate livery), in which case you are in the wrong section of the website, I question why you have parted with £10 odd for this piece of rather unconvincing fakery?

Frankly, you've been here long enough to know better!

Sorry sir, the livery just made it an impulse buy, sir!

B*gger...

Is there anything I can do to at least get it backdated to something approximating a pre grouping wagon? I may just remove some of the brake gear and perhaps change the axleboxes for now. Shame, and you're right in that I should have known better!

B*gger...

Is there anything I can do to at least get it backdated to something approximating a pre grouping wagon? I may just remove some of the brake gear and perhaps change the axleboxes for now. Shame, and you're right in that I should have known better!

I've made many such mistakes, but that was before I moved in here, amongst the cognoscenti.

I suspect it's too long, and possibly the wheelbase is also too long. So I suspect that the dimensions are against you.

Should've .... https://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=0&search=Bowler

• RMweb Gold

That’s what rtr manufacturers are hoping for.

B*gger...

Exclamation, statement of what you are going to do with it, or imperative?

Or a foretaste of the book you brandished?

Without knowing any of the dimensions of your purchase, and without an encyclopaedic knowledge of most pre-group companies’ wagon designs, difficult to say. You can provide the former (and I have already asked), and collectively, we may be able to help with the latter.

You never know: it may happen to match something.

That’s what rtr manufacturers are hoping for.

Lindon saw you coming.

Exclamation, statement of what you are going to do with it, or imperative?

Or a foretaste of the book you brandished?

Best last words since the US general who exclaimed "they couldn't hit a barn door at that r...."

You never know: it may happen to match something.

Though you will need to look further than the West Norfolk ....

Trouble is, I like the livery!!! Sigh...

Yes, which is why you buy this https://www.powsides...0&search=Bowler

These kits practically fall together. And you'll have a (fairly) accurate version, rather than the Mistake-On-Wheels everyone else is running. 

• RMweb Premium

PLus points:

It is wood underframe

It does seem to measure out (on the screen) as a 9ft wheelbase.

So bodging jobs

1.  As already stated, brakes one side only

2.  Keeper plate for the W irons on the underframe - should be an inverted "U" and not an "I".  Shave off the old and replace with new.

3.  Change load weight to 8tons - or at least hide the "10" with weathering.

4.  Obliterate any inappropriate dates on the owner and manufacturer plates on the sole bar.

There are probably many other errors but these will get you close to something that will fool an educated but slightly myopic viewer.

In other words will get you a "layout" wagon. 

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 2