A long time since I updated this thread! I'm finally getting back to CAD, and have made a start on two more locos from the list.

Nearing completion is the SECR 0-4-0CT, which I know at least two people have asked for. One could look good on the yet-to-be-built Blackstone, hint... hint...

post-33498-0-84048800-1531995633_thumb.jpg

I've also started work on the LBSCR 2-2-2T 'Seaford', but more on that later.

• Like 6

A long time since I updated this thread! I'm finally getting back to CAD, and have made a start on two more locos from the list.

Nearing completion is the SECR 0-4-0CT, which I know at least two people have asked for. One could look good on the yet-to-be-built Blackstone, hint... hint...

attachicon.gif15319955469971360954764.jpg

Definitely need one of these! I have a half-built CAD model from a while ago, but progress stopped when the R1 and F classes took over. I was mainly concentrating on the chassis, so if you want some help with that, do let me know.

attachicon.gif15319955469971360954764.jpg

Isn't there already a kit for the SECR Neilson crane tank? I'm sure there's a 4mm scale whitemetal kit available but I can't remember who does it.

My justification for building my own rather than buying the SE Finecast kit was going to be that by the time you've added up the kit, the wheels, and the motor the kit is about £120, possibly more if you want to use a nice motor and gears. My quick, approximate maths gave me an estimated cost of £60 for a 3D printed version including motor, wheels, gears, buffers, handrails etc. Granted it wouldn't have been as nice, but that £60 saved is huge for me - some people will earn that in a few hours work, whereas I see it as 3 weeks food budget! 

As for how far I got on the project, I had a basic drive system done, but no more than that as you can see from the pic below - I'd managed to squeeze a 60:1 gearbox in with a flywheel with a small compromise on boiler diameter, although the boiler would have been brass tube anyway as it has thinner wall thickness than the minimum required for 3D printing. I might be inclined to use a different motor now though, depends if it would fit. 

Anyway, all those fiddly crane bits are Sem's problem now!

post-25124-0-40978800-1532166762_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I note the drawing shows a big well tank tucked away at the back which is missing on my model. Of course, the side tanks are there, but the drawing cross section shows how much water space the driving wheel arch took out.

Before I post the table showing the current (lack of) progress on all the other projects on the ever-expanding list:

Firstly, thanks to everyone who's shown an interest in the models above! They are, hopefully, not too far off of completion. They were started as part of a demonstration at an exhibition, and were chosen on account of their small size, availability of complete drawings and the fact I want one of each (and knew of at least one person wanting a crane tank!!!). Also, I need to dig out a few things for the other projects and that may take some time.

Also, many thanks to Ian for the above drawings - they have now been saved and will be compared against the Binnie drawings I have been using thus far.

So... the list.

It's long! It's very, very, incredibly, very long... As an indication here is a key to the 'codes' I've used for the drawings:

'RM' = Railway Modeller (Taken from 'Drawn & Described' in most cases)

'JNM' = J. N. Maskelyne

'CSS' = Col. Stephens Society

'LWM' = Locomotives Worth Modelling (F. C. Hambleton?)

'?' = Drawings I have but do not know the source of!

'JNM?' = Drawings I may have from J. N. Maskelyne's 'Locomotives I have Known', but I need to try and find the book to confirm!!!

'NRM' = National Railway Museum

post-33498-0-52906000-1532346041_thumb.png

CAD List.pdf

I am sure there are a few things I've missed off of that list, but I think there's more than enough to be getting on with amidst that lot for now. I've decided to not offer any timescales now as there are so many things there and so many factors that will dictate completion. There are also a few models which may be/will be getting produced in RTR form that I am still debating whether to do. There are also some things that have been left of due to my knowing others are working on them.

As for duplicating whitemetal and brass products, whilst I appreciate that the kits offered by these suppliers are often of much higher quality than a 3D print, and I definitely would not wish to see any of them go out of business any time soon, I am with Tom on the cost. I currently estimate the basic print of the crane tank to be costing under £10, or certainly about that cost. Now, obviously wheels and mechanisms (Though the latter may also be coming from Tom! I might need to take up your offer and get a few dimensions!!!) are an additional cost, and shipping of the prints from China is £15, but the latter cost will be much reduced (in it's percentage of final cost per model) as I will be ordering more than one print at a time. I have no doubt that the S.E. Finecast Crane Tank builds into a beautiful model - I have seen some for myself - but I haven't got that sort of money! As pointed out above - whilst for some modellers £60 is a small sum, for me that is a good few weeks, maybe even a few months, of saving!

Anyway, I've argued that enough... I think for now I won't be asking for any more suggestions CAD-wise, but should any of you really want me to add something to the list then I will.

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

Hmmm... well...

As long as the LBSCR Class A1/A1x has been in existence?!

Once I have drawings the CAD doesn't take all that long to do, and as I keep at it the better and quicker I will get. To get the crane tank to the stage shown in the previous screenshot (Hollowed out and ready for finer detailing) took about two-three hours of on/off work. I started at 10:00 the previous night, went to bed soon after, then had got it to that stage about two hours before the posting was made. Seaford started immediately afterwards.