No. They didn’t. Usually, the have simply oiled the chains.

Without the people I mention, particularly de Montfort, there would still have been absolute rule. Each was an essential step towards greater involvement of the populace. Every step was a gradual increase in the number of voices involved.

Trying to work out how universal suffrage was driven by, rather than frustrated and delayed by, lawyers - which nearly pushed this country to revolution in 1832.

Loss of ego is the only thing that sets you free. That’s going to take you some time... ;)

Lawyers will never be forgiven for the fact that their day job is dealing with the consequences of other people's Original Sin.

But oh dear Simon, you are approaching peak tendentiousness again.

The people you mention by and large had their own self-serving pre-occupations or 'agendas', and any contribution to the Greater Good is a rather co-incidental or unintended consequence.  It was the lawyers who typically not only set you free, but who actually meant to!

Lawyers as practitioners or parliamentarians have tended to be the ones who have brought about effective change in curbing abuses of power, in the field of what we would now call 'human rights', and in promoting a free and democratic society.  They tend to do so without fuss, pomp or self-promotion.  Often their efforts are unsung entirely, and even the more notable examples do not make the historical headlines, in comparison with the assorted opportunists, fanatics and rabble-rousers who generally enjoy the historical limelight.

• RMweb Gold

I think I am not the one being tendentious here, but it is someone else’s thread and I suggest we do not use it to delve into whatever insecurities drive you to elevate your profession above the rest of humanity.

Anyway, two words to close on:

Thomas Paine.

Edited by Regularity

Awesome thread mate I’ve been lurking and watching for a while. I’ve also got a model 34090 although in rebuilt form. Although I’m my research she seems to have earned the nickname sir useless missenden due to her poor steaming characteristics

Big James

Edited by Big James
  • Like 1

Awesome thread mate I’ve been lurking and watching for a while. I’ve also got a model 34090 although in rebuilt form. Although I’m my research she seems to have earned the nickname sir useless missenden due to her poor steaming characteristics

Big James

It is an awesome topic - but where is its progenitor?

Here, there....everywhere! :keeporder:

Well, I'd like to think he's off on this hols - after all - 14 days have yet to pass since the last reported sighting.

On the other hand, it may be a question of other circumstances.  I'd like to think that he maintains an interest in us all now that his initial objectives are fulfilled. 

Anyway, I don't want him feeling bad about all the unfinished stuff he said he'd do, I just want him to come back and do them! That said, a chap's entitled to a holiday every now and then.

• RMweb Premium

I believe, - and here I don't want break too many secrets given in confidence, - that there are issues regarding Sem's internet access that mean that he is severely limited to where and how and what he is permitted (by parental authority) to access.

I believe, - and here I don't want break too many secrets given in confidence, - that there are issues regarding Sem's internet access that mean that he is severely limited to where and how and what he is permitted (by parental authority) to access.

So he's not a 43 year old IT consultant and semi-pro golfer living in a Docklands apartment with an attractive post-doctoral physicist?

Were we supposed to know that?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No he's actually quite young James, but I'm not going to say what his age is.  Having been privately informed as to the situation by Sem I thought it best to provide some clarification.

Thanks, Annie.

Well, I've already emailed the Blighter, but, yes, if you do manage to penetrate the siege lines and get a message through, please reassure him of my good wishes.

Not that I am going to admit that I miss his contributions, of course ....

First - I am alive!

Second - Some developments of late have been negative, others positive.

CAD work has, unfortunately, ground to a total halt though I do intend to re-start it before too long as James is quite right in my not fulfilling promises made to you all, but I made those before the above developments intervened. I apologise for any inconvenience I may have caused any of you.

I shan't go into the negative developments here, or anywhere really, but the main positive has been my starting as a junior porter on a heritage railway, something I've been meaning to do for many years and have now started. I'm enjoying it very much, and although I haven't been working non-stop I have tried to work as many turns on platform duties as possible!

It may be a while before I return properly again, but it will happen at some stage.

As for nice holidays - I wish!!!  :jester:

• Like 1

First - I am alive!

Second - Some developments of late have been negative, others positive.

CAD work has, unfortunately, ground to a total halt though I do intend to re-start it before too long as James is quite right in my not fulfilling promises made to you all, but I made those before the above developments intervened. I apologise for any inconvenience I may have caused any of you.

I shan't go into the negative developments here, or anywhere really, but the main positive has been my starting as a junior porter on a heritage railway, something I've been meaning to do for many years and have now started. I'm enjoying it very much, and although I haven't been working non-stop I have tried to work as many turns on platform duties as possible!

It may be a while before I return properly again, but it will happen at some stage.

As for nice holidays - I wish!!!  :jester:

Sem,

I am sorry to hear that there have been negatives, though glad of the positives, but most of all I am glad to hear from you.

You have been greatly missed.

Hang on in there!

Best

James

I will try and work my way through some of the backlog, though that has already been trimmed down thanks to a fellow CAD-modeller doing a few of them, not because I asked, but thank you nonetheless, Javier.

The main reason behind my lack of motivation is that, of late, I've got a bit sick of computers in general and have been finding other things to do. I've even got myself a few kits to work on, as I really want to get back to proper modelling - The CAD was started to aid my actual modelling, to produce bits I struggle with. As some of you know, it then became a rather more pressing matter and the CAD became the sole focus of my railway activities. I want to get back to where I was before, and also need to perhaps scale back my ambitions and not make such promises as I had. Needless to say I will clear the backlog eventually, but it will take a lot more time than I anticipated.

I hope that is reasonable enough, and understandable. This has certainly taught me a lesson or two about saying things and not delivering, or not delivering in the time stated.

• Like 1

It's good to remember sometimes that this is a hobby, for me it's been a second job at times, but whenever that's happened I've found it very beneficial to take a step back and work on a physical project like you say - this weekend was mostly spent on my cakebox challenge entry, which has given me a lot of the energy back to do some more CAD this week. There's a time and place for all aspects of modelling!

I will try and work my way through some of the backlog, though that has already been trimmed down thanks to a fellow CAD-modeller doing a few of them, not because I asked, but thank you nonetheless, Javier.

The main reason behind my lack of motivation is that, of late, I've got a bit sick of computers in general and have been finding other things to do. I've even got myself a few kits to work on, as I really want to get back to proper modelling - The CAD was started to aid my actual modelling, to produce bits I struggle with. As some of you know, it then became a rather more pressing matter and the CAD became the sole focus of my railway activities. I want to get back to where I was before, and also need to perhaps scale back my ambitions and not make such promises as I had. Needless to say I will clear the backlog eventually, but it will take a lot more time than I anticipated.

I hope that is reasonable enough, and understandable. This has certainly taught me a lesson or two about saying things and not delivering, or not delivering in the time stated.

Life is full of bitter little lessons, but we are none the worse for them. A dose of realism from time to time helps us all.

Amen to that!

The trouble with a fantastic all embracing hobby is that we want to do everything we can to make it good for ourselves, and to share with others. The problem is over-promising. I did that quite a lot when I first went semi professional, and ended up just making myself feel inadequate because I couldn't make good on the promises that I had made. That was why I never asked for any money up front for a build, as deep down I just knew I wouldn't be able to meet all the orders. As you say, a bitter pill, and one which is really hard not to repeat.

Sem, it's good to see you back on here, and glad that the portering is going well. I may get along to see you on the platform sometime. In the meantime... apologies for the station building which was supposed to be coming as an exam completion gift. It might be done by Christmas!! (The NLR fittings might get done by then as well!)

PS... relating to an earlier post. I hate to take the esteemed Edwardian to task, but from a theological point of view, original sin is a universal condition instituted by humanity (אדמה, adam = heb. that which was formed from the earth) at the fall from grace in the garden. Lawyers seem to spend their time having to sort out the results of what is often premeditated, individual and considered sin, and it's not a job I would ever want to take on! All respect and blessing to those who do...

• 2 weeks later...

Having had a distinct lack of motivation of late, I'm hopeful to restart CAD again soon. As and when (if?) that happens, I'll most likely be starting work on the Fox Walker 0-6-0ST. I know that there are many, many, other things on that list which require work, but the Fox Walker is small, I have the suitable chassis to hand again now (hopefully - I need to check that), and I promised it some time ago to one member of this forum and have yet to deliver.

Two people in particular - Charlie (L49) and James (Edwardian) are mostly responsible for my regaining a bit of motivation to re-start the work again.

This won't mean much to almost all of you, but hopefully work will start in earnest in order to have some CAD and Prints ready for November 3rd... and after that date some more interesting things may happen. 

I am currently thinking of working as follows, with these locos being on my immediate CAD list: 

• WNR/M&GNJR Fox Walker 0-6-0ST (Exclusive Commission - Will not be on general sale)
  • 'Industrial' Fox Walker 0-6-0ST (Different features to WNR/M&GN examples, so will be on general sale. Hopefully.)
  • LBSCR Classes A1 & A1x 'Terriers' (Hopefully still to fit the Hornby/Dapol chassis... I now have a 6th example to measure!!! This should make it to general sale. I intend to produce the A1 first.)
  • LBSCR 2-2-2T 'Seaford' (The body is almost complete, but the chassis may take some time to follow)
  • SECR 0-4-0CT (As above - Body is reasonably complete, but the crane requires finishing. Once the body CAD is finished the chassis may follow, but requires a bit of collaboration!)

I am not going to give any set dates for any of those, but I'm hopeful to have at least one of each printed by November 3rd.

Looking a bit further ahead, anything shown on my list that requires drawings has been postponed for the foreseeable. I still intend to make them, but they yet be many, many, months (possibly years) away. That also includes the Broad Gauge prototypes which I do have drawings for. My main priorities will be the LBSCR stuff, but the IWR Beyer Peacocks, and most other IOW locos, may be rising higher up the list than previously anticipated.

I say the LBSCR stuff will be my main priority as those are the locos I need to do for myself. The likes of the LNWR locos listed are going to be some time off, as are locos from almost any company besides the LBSC.

I hope that's understandable, and hopefully some more real progress will happen soon.

• Like 2