Gilberdyke Modernisation (Real Railway)

A few more photos from Saturday's excursion:

Gilberdyke, the minor crossing just to the W on the Selby line:

post-6971-0-55375700-1534156704_thumb.jpg

Same crossing from the next minor crossing to the W:

post-6971-0-78974400-1534156713_thumb.jpg

Kneeling signal at Gilberdyke, waiting to spring into action like a sprinter at the start of a race:

post-6971-0-97916700-1534156697_thumb.jpg

Cave crossing from a footpath crossing to the W, and from the field path that leads to the crossing:

post-6971-0-48836900-1534156672_thumb.jpg]

post-6971-0-96646400-1534156666_thumb.jpg

Down signal at Crabley Creek:

post-6971-0-99555300-1534156677_thumb.jpg

The gates at Crabley Creek:

post-6971-0-91772700-1534156684_thumb.jpg

And a Hull Trains service just to the E of Crabley Creek with the Wolds beginning to rise up in the background:

post-6971-0-45885300-1534156690_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

There's a letter on page 45 of this month's Modern Railways that says quite a lot about this resignalling scheme and how it's delays have caused problems with proposed new timetables. It alleges that the scheme has been postponed indefinitely due to problems with the chosen system.  The writer has obviously asked to remain anonymous but it makes interesting reading.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Gold

From that information, if right, I'm now wondering if it will get commissioned in November as was mentioned earlier on in this thread.  Unfortunately I haven't seen that letter, so it's contents are unknown to myself. I will try and get a copy of the magazine, and read the letter very carefully. But things are not sounding good at all. I wonder why East Yorkshire always gets a short straw when it comes to investment? We cannot be considered very important.

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

From that information, if right, I'm now wondering if it will get commissioned in November as was mentioned earlier on in this thread.  Unfortunately I haven't seen that letter, so it's contents are unknown to myself. I will try and get a copy of the magazine, and read the letter very carefully. But things are not sounding good at all. I wonder why East Yorkshire always gets a short straw when it comes to investment? We cannot be considered very important.

Regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

If you read the previous information and throughout this thread, given the information provided by the OP, it is not that East Yorkshire gets the short straw, it is that this project was earmarked to trial a new style of signalling system (as I understand it), and unfortunately it doesn't work as it should.  As far as I can see, there is no suggestion that the decision has just been taken not to do it, nor that the project has been scraped or that the investment will not be made, just that from what we are told based on the MR letter, the chosen system has issues which begs the question as to will the decision will be taken to continue to attempt to resolve the issues, or to go back to basics and use a proven system.

I may be wrong in this, and I'll happily stand corrected by those more knowledgable, but the problem is not with the signals that have been put in rather, it is with the system behind them that communicates from York ROC to the signals on the ground. Like everything, it is a wait and see what happens I'm afraid.  

Cheers

Rich

Edit: Spelling mistake - sorry!

Edited by MarshLane

Does anyone know which level crossings will be upgraded in this modernisation? I believe Welton, Cave, Broomfleet, Oxmardyke, Eastrington, Green Oak Goit and Saltmarshe will be upgraded. I was hoping for some information about the road crossings in the upgrade. The new Bombardier gates will be used on these crossings, so it'd be nice to find out how many are being upgraded and fitted with these.

Edited by Nathan_A_RF

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know which level crossings will be upgraded in this modernisation? I believe Welton, Cave, Broomfleet, Oxmardyke, Eastrington, Green Oak Goit and Saltmarshe will be upgraded. I was hoping for some information about the road crossings in the upgrade. The new Bombardier gates will be used on these crossings, so it'd be nice to find out how many are being upgraded and fitted with these.

Any Crossing with a giant TicTac mint beside it (e.g. Cave) will become a Mannually Controlled Barrier crossing with Obsticle Detection (type code MCB (OD) )

When you say ‘Bombardier Gates’ do you mean the ‘EBIGate’ system for user worked crossings as per this data Sheet? http://www.infrasig.net/media/86794/ebi_gate_data_sheets.pdf

Yes indeed, as trialled at Selby Road LC, these crossings will be MCB-ODs fitted with the gate system in use there; the EBIGate. I know of the aforementioned crossings, but there are others in this area I have seen no photos of, and wondered if any of those were for upgrading too.

Edited by Nathan_A_RF

• RMweb Premium

From what I can ascertain, all the existing "manned" crossings, plus an AHBC-X crossing, in the resignalling area will be upgraded to MCB-OD controlled crossings. All other types of crossings (UWC, FP, SPC, etc.) will remain "as is". So there are no proposed upgrades to the "EBIGate" type (or similar). However, this is based on 5 year old information, so things may have changed in the meantime.

Regards, Ian.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you for posting that video. I shall see it in full later on when I have the time available. I’ve noted it about 18 minutes in for Gilberdyke. There’s also another video, but I can’t find it at the moment - I recall it ends at Selby.

Thank you for posting that video. I shall see it in full later on when I have the time available. I’ve noted it about 18 minutes in for Gilberdyke. There’s also another video, but I can’t find it at the moment - I recall it ends at Selby.

I'm pretty sure that's a Class 37 cab ride from Paragon to Selby. There's also a 66 cab ride from Hedon Road to Gascoigne Wood on YouTube somewhere.

Edited by Hals1967

• 3 weeks later...

The clock is ticking, and now just over two weeks to go before the end. Attached the earliest signal diagram of Staddlethorpe Junction known to me. It originates from a mid-'50's relief signalman's notebook, but I'm pretty sure it shows the state of play following the 1933 provision of the Up Branch Intermediate Block Home, until the later provision of track circuits c1960.

post-702-0-12901700-1541545162_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That’s most interesting, Mick, and it was later renamed Gilberdyke as we know, and four tracks became two.

Now I was reading in our local paper that the signalling was being commissioned this coming weekend, with buses replacing trains out of Hull. They could have got it wrong. But yesterday, when I went to York, you could see the orange army hard at work on the signalling. So it’s certainly not long to go.

Regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

That’s most interesting, Mick, and it was later renamed Gilberdyke as we know, and four tracks became two.

Now I was reading in our local paper that the signalling was being commissioned this coming weekend, with buses replacing trains out of Hull. They could have got it wrong. But yesterday, when I went to York, you could see the orange army hard at work on the signalling. So it’s certainly not long to go.

Regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Re the bus replacement services, I think there might be a few weekend closures coming up. I was at Eastrington on Sunday and saw an advanced warning sign stating that the road over the crossing there would be closed between 29/11 and 04/12. The crossing is being converted to an MCB-OD. Apart from the actual barriers, all the kit seems to be in place. I imagine there will be quite a bit of commissioning work and recoveries to do, along with some adjustments to fences and possible road resurfacing and line painting.

• RMweb Premium

Planning to visit the area for a few hours next week; hopefully will still be something to photograph!? Andy

Hi Andy,

Still plenty of semaphore signals Gilberdyke to Melton Lane but probably for only another two weeks.

• RMweb Premium

Another video from the same channel, recently published and apparently filmed this autumn. It shows the eastbound journey with new equipment in place from just east of Howden at 1h 27m and semaphores beginning at 1h 30m.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. I travelled to York, from Hull Paragon, on the train yesterday, and the semaphores were all still in use. I see there’s a notice on Hull Paragon station giving important dates about the work.

Buses replace trains on the following dates out of Hull Paragon to Goole and Selby:

Saturday and Sunday, 24th and 25th, November.

And Saturday and Sunday, 1st and 2nd, December.

There are no other dates, so, presumably, the work will be concluded by Sunday, 2nd December.

I hope that helps everyone in taking the last ever photo’s of the semaphores and cabins.

Best regards,

Rob.