Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Apparently Narrow Planet actually do sell a "Lion", a "Tiger" (but no bears, oh my!) and a "Thunderbolt" in 4mm scale, under the Thatcher Plates brand. Guess I'll be ordering some of them along with a nameplate and numberplate for my Manning Wardle (if I can decide what to call it - I'm leaning towards "Lady Sybil" as a relatively short name that won't dwarf the loco when on a 'plate, and she would go very nicely next to the 0-6-0t "Sir Samuel Vimes").

• Like 2

Good gracious! Within 9 minutes of emailing Narrow Planet enquiring about the Thunderbolt plates, I received an email with an invoice for them, and have already paid. They're apparently already in stock (not being an "etch-to-order" product), so I had better get on with painting the 3D-printed bodyshell!

• Like 4

Hurrah! The H class was returned to me in full working order, having had large quantities of grease removed from the gears and the inside of the motor (!).

post-793-0-79879400-1527196898_thumb.jpg

"Thunderbolt" has been primed with filler primer, ready for sanding down to remove the worst of the print lines, and currently looks like she should be being operated by Network Rail...

post-793-0-48336500-1527197049_thumb.jpg

There is currently a lot of slop in the bearings for Thunderbolt's driving axles, causing the rods to bind and the wheels to skid. I hope to fix this with thin strips of 10 thou plasticard. However, first things first, I need to pack for my journey tomorrow!

• Like 5

There is currently a lot of slop in the bearings for Thunderbolt's driving axles, causing the rods to bind and the wheels to skid. I hope to fix this with thin strips of 10 thou plasticard. However, first things first, I need to pack for my journey tomorrow!

Was the body designed with those wheels in mind? I think there are two types of Hornby 08 wheels, certainly the ones I used on my freelance diesel shunter had different (brass) bearings and they worked perfectly. I did have to tweak the cranks a bit though as they weren't on perfectly straight.

• Like 1

I used the Hornby part number as suggested in the kit, so I think they're the correct ones! It does just look to be a bit of fore-and-aft play though, so should be an easy fix :) I'm not quite convinced that the crank quartering is perfect, but I'm not going to try to adjust that 'til I've got the slop out of the axles first.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

Hurrah! The H class was returned to me in full working order, having had large quantities of grease removed from the gears and the inside of the motor (!).

attachicon.gifIMG_20180524_203711915.jpg

"Thunderbolt" has been primed with filler primer, ready for sanding down to remove the worst of the print lines, and currently looks like she should be being operated by Network Rail...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180524_194123367.jpg

Always loved The Titfield Thunderbolt, one of my favourite movies. You're doing "Thunderbolt" real justice there so far, keep it up!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm going to try filing out the axle-retaining slots enough that I can slide the square axle bearings into them, as this seems to limit sideplay quite usefully while also fixing the fore-and-aft slop problem.

Meanwhile, the postie dropped this into my work today - the LNER lowfit wagon will go, but the container will most likely be useful to me, with Guildford having a direct rail link to Linton, and being only a few miles away. However, in lieu of a steel-underframe, post-grouping design of wagon, what would have been most likely to carry this container? Or have I massively jumped the gun in terms of containerised removals?

post-793-0-82169500-1527252594_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

To be honest, I think I'll just have a look on Sunday, if it's all the same with you? :P I may also be bringing some foreign stock with me too - an LSWR covered wagon, a Caledonian 8-ton open(!) and a North Western Railway milk van (which seems to get everywhere!) among others...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I thought you might. I will make sure the book is accessible!!

I will look forward to the 'foreign' stock. I have plenty of LWSR kits to build at some point, and a love 9f the Caley. I'm sure His Fatness will be happy to see an NWR wagon as well! We will have to put that behi d the E2!!

Gary

• Like 2

Well, I'm on a Virgin Trains East Coast train (not to remain thus for long. Sic Transit Gloria Fordii and all that) and have been doodling around, attempting to make sense of the drawings for the SE&CR 6-wheeled push-pull set. The Third and Composite seem to have very simple beading, but the beading on the driving coach is different, and I can't find any decent photos close-up enough to make out what it should be... Does anyone know of any large photos of the driving coach end of such a set?

• Like 3

VTEC!!!! Poor you!! My transit will probably seem comfortable in comparison!! (although it is red, you can't have everything!!!)

Gary

Hey, at least you have a car Gary. I had to stop learning to drive because of anxiety. So compared to walking everywhere in the crummy English weather that van seems like paradise.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

Damn Red, that sucks!! I have always had a small amount of anxiety, never anything to that level though!

and all joking aside I do love my Transit!! I could happily drive it all day long!!

Gary

Meh. In all seriousness could be worse. Better than being in a car crash because I'm trying to think of literally everything and freaking out.

I can fit multiple layouts in!! and it has 6 seats so plenty of operators!!

Gary

That's a big van.

• RMweb Gold

Meh. In all seriousness could be worse. Better than being in a car crash because I'm trying to think of literally everything and freaking out.

Yeah that's a good point, I find my driving improves the more relaxed I am!

That's a big van.

I got it with exhibitions in mind, I am now the official transporter for my Model Railway Club!!

Gary

• Like 2

Just making the most of the last few minutes of wifi on my VTEC train, before I run to catch my Thameslink one - I have two sides of the SE&CR push-pull three coach set drawn up, just the driving coach left to do, then the ends and some form of chassis for those who want one. 

post-793-0-05593100-1527278937_thumb.png

These were often seen with P class 0-6-0s so I'm hoping that they'll be popular!

• Like 6