Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

The LSWR/LBSCR Joint railmotors were rebuilt with horizontal boilers after the vertical ones proved to be unsuccessful. I think that's correct anyway...

In the meantime, these are other possibilities:

hawthorn_leslie_iwcr_steam_railmotor_1_b

5840106256_dd72b5a7c2_b.jpg

78bb5674-3d49-4c43-a8ca-310cec8777a8.jpg

74a918596a64c4774922b0fe52a36907.jpg

• Like 2

I'll have to see what we can arrange - the drawings I have are rather vague, and I'm not quite sure there is enough there to go on for a model, but I'll have a look about. Thanks for the offer!

There are excellent drawings of the Joint railcars in Gordon Weddell's book on LSWR coaches in the twentieth century. I think they also appeared in BRJ issue 3, whilst there are more useful photos in the Wild Swan version of Bradley's Locos of the LSWR and in Curl's book The LSWR at Nine Elms.

No 1 appeared with a small vertical boiler, which proved inadequate, so No 2 was given a taller vertical boiler. No 1 was given the final horizontal boiler after only six months' service, and No 2 got one after a year, so the horizontal one was really the default design for most of their lives.

Well, now I know what colours to do it in... :P

What's the copyright ruling on posting pictures of a colouring book once you've attacked it with paint?

Well you took the image, so theres no problem there.

• Like 1

I reckon that most of the loco would be laser-cut on account of its box-like shape. We could, perhaps, offer the horizontally-boilered one too? That might be better with a 3D printed loco part complementing the laser-cut coach part.

The latter idea would work well for the likes of the LBSCR railmotors, or the L&Y, GNR, TVR, NSR, etc. The NSR and LBSCR would share the same loco portion.

post-189-0-30120600-1301475042.jpg

edgware(alsop_c1905)old7.jpg

barton(1910)old1.jpg

Taff_Vale_railmotor_(Rankin_Kennedy,_Mod

If someone does go down this line, can some thought be given to producing proper loco chassis and carrying bogies? These, and the other, photos show how much their peculiar designs contribute to the overall effect. It's not really going to work if they are intended to sit on Hornby pug chassis and generic coach bogies.

Well you took the image, so theres no problem there.

I'm not sure that taking a photo of a copyrighted image gives me all of the copyright. However, the copyright inside the book states that no copies may be made in any way (including photography) without the prior written permission of the publisher, so I'm going to email the publisher and ask permission!

If someone does go down this line, can some thought be given to producing proper loco chassis and carrying bogies? These, and the other, photos show how much their peculiar designs contribute to the overall effect. It's not really going to work if they are intended to sit on Hornby pug chassis and generic coach bogies.

Absolutely agreed - while I might use a generic pug chassis for my freelance railway company's railmotor, I'll do my best to make these as realistic as possible. For me a large part of a locomotive's "look" is the chassis and especially the valve gear. Railmotors with their complex, compact valve gear (usually on the outside) have a very "busy" look under the running plate. Something like the Liliput Fireless 0-4-0 could provide a slow and smooth-running chassis with plenty of valve gear (neither of which are strengths of the generic Hornby 0-4-0 tanks) for those who would prefer to avoid building all the valve gear etc, while a more accurate chassis could also be designed for those happier rivetting tiny etched parts together for a more accurate model.

post-793-0-77522700-1525994651_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Perhaps contact Ixion models - they've done a railmotor to run on 16.5mm gauge track, and being a small firm may be willing to help.

Or not.

I'll have to have a think about the best way of doing the loco chassis for these models.

Once I have the drawings I can start working out the designs for the loco bits.

• RMweb Premium

What a brilliant project for Team Pre-Group to get involved in.  I've always liked steam railmotors and some years ago I made a set of litho parts for the LSWR one; - long since gone now due to a hard drive crash unfortunately.

Mo5DWKA.jpg

We all know that Thomas was an LBSCR E1x!

E1_XS_LBSCR_689_bag998-M.jpg

Contrary to popular belief...

Oh I know. Was just saying if I was asked to design a version of Thomas based on the text from the RWS with no pictures something similar to the railmotor I singled out is probably what I'd end up with. Minus being permanently connected to a coach, having no bunker and being an 0-4-0.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

What a brilliant project for Team Pre-Group to get involved in.  I've always liked steam railmotors and some years ago I made a set of litho parts for the LSWR one; - long since gone now due to a hard drive crash unfortunately.

Mo5DWKA.jpg

I happen to have a set of LSWR Steam Railmotor (50ft - fully enclosed type) coloured coach artwork (complete with gates and window bars) in my stash here on my laptop...

Might it be of interest?

• RMweb Premium

I happen to have a set of LSWR Steam Railmotor (50ft - fully enclosed type) coloured coach artwork (complete with gates and window bars) in my stash here on my laptop...

Might it be of interest?

Yes Please Sem!

• Like 1

I will have to get it sent across...

Can a carrier pigeon make it that far South of the Equator, if released from atop the White Cliffs? (Probably Seven Sisters rather than Dover... maybe not Beachy Head. Besides, launching from atop one of those new 'Atlantic' thingies that this new Mr Marsh has designed could be a bit risky!)

YES I KNOW THEY WEREN'T NAMED UNTIL SR DAYS!!! BUT MY ATTEMPT AT HUMOUR WOULD NOT MAKE SENSE OTHERWISE...

• RMweb Gold

Oh I know. Was just saying if I was asked to design a version of Thomas based on the text from the RWS with no pictures something similar to the railmotor I singled out is probably what I'd end up with. Minus being permanently connected to a coach, having no bunker and being an 0-4-0.

Do you mean, perchance, something like this:

Im1963EnV216-p191d.jpg

Transforming into this?

13958552466_cc2138f580_b.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

How bizarre! I love the little bunker having the cutouts at the front and back, makes the whole thing look a bit like this:

attachicon.gifJames.jpg

Hmm. I think you may have the sequence of events in the wrong order.

That (rather strange) toy looks a bit like the converted railmotor power unit, but not the other way about... ;)

Einstein would have something to say about this, and cause and effect...

Kind of, yeah. Though that's rather awkward looking, and not totally what I meant, but right lines.

Point was, although the detail might not coincide with your idea, history had beaten you to it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. I see that now.

That’s why it’s worth reading Railway history books outside of your own interests: you never know what you might discover!

(I have been charged in the past with the “dubious offence” of “book-learning”, to which I happily plead guilty - not just about railways, either!)

• Like 2

That’s why it’s worth reading Railway history books outside of your own interests: you never know what you might discover!

(I have been charged in the past with the “dubious offence” of “book-learning”, to which I happily plead guilty - not just about railways, either!)

That's fair.

Actually, I'd like to see someone convert that railmotor I was on about into an 0-6-0 side tank now come to think of it.

• Like 1

Not quite a railmotor, but some wheels for that lovely little Manning Wardle arrived in the post today, and have been test-fitted before the chassis is painted. She seems to roll very nicely, although I think some brass bearings might not go amiss. I've not quite decided what to do with her yet, whether she is to be a station pilot-type loco, or work a short branch train (I can't see her with more than two 4-wheelers and a van covered wagon). I wonder if she could maybe be converted to push-pull?

Once the wheels are fitted, it becomes clear just how tiny this loco is. A Mk1 coach (used on the club's BR 1950s/60s layout!) towers over her, and even the Stroudleys are a good one-and-a-half engine lengths! I can imagine her looking very smart with a few of the later Craven carriages. They're on the list to get drawn up and laser-cut, promise!

post-793-0-08769100-1526059734_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-49257800-1526059617_thumb.jpg

She makes even a Hornby terrier look huge, and I suspect will do the same to my Hatton's P class when it arrives.

post-793-0-03757900-1526059335_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-25396800-1526059383_thumb.jpg

• Like 9