Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

Not quite a railmotor, but some wheels for that lovely little Manning Wardle arrived in the post today, and have been test-fitted before the chassis is painted. She seems to roll very nicely, although I think some brass bearings might not go amiss. I've not quite decided what to do with her yet, whether she is to be a station pilot-type loco, or work a short branch train (I can't see her with more than two 4-wheelers and a van covered wagon). I wonder if she could maybe be converted to push-pull?

Once the wheels are fitted, it becomes clear just how tiny this loco is. A Mk1 coach (used on the club's BR 1950s/60s layout!) towers over her, and even the Stroudleys are a good one-and-a-half engine lengths! I can imagine her looking very smart with a few of the later Craven carriages. They're on the list to get drawn up and laser-cut, promise!

attachicon.gifIMG_20180511_180845207.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180511_180740116.jpg

She makes even a Hornby terrier look huge, and I suspect will do the same to my Hatton's P class when it arrives.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180511_180418034.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180511_180903726.jpg

Beautiful! I REALLY love Manning Wardle's products and I'll say you've done this little guy justice!

I WANT ONE.

It's actually a 3D-printed bodyshell and chassis from Shapeways! All I've done is fit some Scale Link wheels to it and paint it. The tricky part comes now with the motorising...

Yes, I'm aware of that thanks. I'm more lamenting the fact that I don't have the skill to make a motorised one, which is a shame as it'd fit in perfectly amongst the KLR's motley fleet of industrials and Eastern Region rebuilds.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist

It's actually a 3D-printed bodyshell and chassis from Shapeways! All I've done is fit some Scale Link wheels to it and paint it. The tricky part comes now with the motorising...

An N20 motor might be your best bet here, with a crown gear on the axle - depends if you have enough space between the frames (10-11mm, I think). The ones I have measure 25x10x12mm including gearbox, but I think some of the other ratios have different sized gearboxes.

So today was the first day of the Glenrothes exhibition (which I suspect is a bit far for most of you!) and I was delighted to find that the layout opposite my club's featured an array of beautifully built and painted (hand lined and lettered in several cases!) pre-grouping Scottish locos in 00. I know they're the wrong area but I was sorely tempted to the dark, dreich, cloudy side...

post-793-0-97446700-1526146041_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-54410100-1526146055_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-79883500-1526146065_thumb.jpg

However, I had to content myself with buying a second-hand Dapol terrier in Marsh Umber livery. I think that in order to backdate it to the 1905-1911 livery, the "LBSC" needs to go and be replaced by "LB&SCR" - can someone confirm that? I'm not sure whether this particular loco (662 Martello - preserved and back in operation!) should still retain its number plate or when it would have lost it for a painted number. I'll probably also touch in outside the lining with the darker, chocolate brown as required for this livery.

post-793-0-61761000-1526146245_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-01112700-1526146259_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 9

So today was the first day of the Glenrothes exhibition (which I suspect is a bit far for most of you!) and I was delighted to find that the layout opposite my club's featured an array of beautifully built and painted (hand lined and lettered in several cases!) pre-grouping Scottish locos in 00. I know they're the wrong area but I was sorely tempted to the dark, dreich, cloudy side...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180512_104559963.jpg

I almost used the 'like' button, but in all conscience, could only apply it to the second photo of the '55' class 'Oban Bogie'!

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I think that in order to backdate it to the 1905-1911 livery, the "LBSC" needs to go and be replaced by "LB&SCR" - can someone confirm that?

Yes it does! and 662 would have had a painted number at that time!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

A hole in space-time has appeared in my living room floor. A floating glowing orb has emerged from it. Help.

Not sure about the glowing orb, but the hole in space-time might explain the Eurovision voting...

Yes it does! and 662 would have had a painted number at that time!

Gary

Thanks, Gary! I was under the impression that when Marsh umber was first introduced, some engines kept their cast 'plates for some period of time, but hadn't been able to find details of exactly when Martello lost hers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There were a few different methods used for numbers on the side, Martello actually lost it's plates in IEG days!!

post-22762-0-86381500-1526164885_thumb.png

Gary

EDIT: Just to confuse things a bit more, 662 didn't receive umber until 1909!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

A hole in space-time has appeared in my living room floor. A floating glowing orb has emerged from it. Help.

Have you got a toasting fork?

Not sure about the glowing orb, but the hole in space-time might explain the Eurovision voting...

Nothing can explain the Eurovision voting, apart from Portugal making QUITE SURE they don't have to host the dratted thing again!

I thought the P class was small, but the Manning Wardle is a little cutie. However that ain't a boiler, its a tubular water heater.....  :jester:

Actually, a static Manning Wardle would be ideal for when constructing (yet another) layout as a reminder that the contractors are still in possession.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I almost used the 'like' button, but in all conscience, could only apply it to the second photo of the '55' class 'Oban Bogie'!

Jim

I was about to agree with you til I realised which photo you meant - it's the first and third that appeal to me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh bother... she might need to be renumbered too then! I'd ideally like one that was one of the earlier ones to get repainted! 

Also, that's a *lot* of headlamps on the front of Martello there!

643? Photo taken 1906, showing umber livery and a black numberplate.

post-22762-0-87483000-1526202564_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 1

643? Photo taken 1906, showing umber livery and a black numberplate.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Gary

That's rather nice, thanks Gary. That'd give me an IEG terrier for my first half (1900-1905) and an umber one for 1906-1910. Perfect!

Note the condensing pipes have been refitted, which was common for that period.

No.643 upon renumbering (1900-1902 - check when Billinton B4 No.43 was built), received painted gold numerals on a grey oval, which is what you see in the picture.

Note also that 643 has retained wooden brake shoes.  Etches of these are available from EB models.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1

That's a good point about the condensing pipes. Fortunately the model came with the detailing pack so these are easy to fit, and will give me some variations. Would these have been painted, or bare metal (copper?) in this livery? I note Dapol have them in copper on their 7mm model.

I'll also need to remove the chassis-mounted sandboxes as I'll have the ones on the splashers.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 2

How bizarre! I love the little bunker having the cutouts at the front and back, makes the whole thing look a bit like this:

attachicon.gifJames.jpg

Yikes!

From the Thomas the Preying Mantis set....

Meanwhile

I reckon that most of the loco would be laser-cut on account of its box-like shape. We could, perhaps, offer the horizontally-boilered one too? That might be better with a 3D printed loco part complementing the laser-cut coach part.

The latter idea would work well for the likes of the LBSCR railmotors, or the L&Y, GNR, TVR, NSR, etc. The NSR and LBSCR would share the same loco portion.

post-189-0-30120600-1301475042.jpg

edgware(alsop_c1905)old7.jpg

barton(1910)old1.jpg

Taff_Vale_railmotor_(Rankin_Kennedy,_Mod

The top railmotor just cries out for a Thomas face.....

• Like 1