Great Southern Railway (Fictitious) - Signalling the changes...

I also see that Linny arrived at a station with proper signals and an even-properer (I'm tired...) signal box...

Used to have proper trains too:

polegate_old8.jpg

polegate_old5.jpg

polegate_old2.jpg

And before that even properer trains:

polegate_alsop(early20thC)old1.jpg

And the even properer trains went to even properer places:

hailsham_alsop_old(by9.1906)3.jpg

Where now a properer model railway can be found:

post-22762-0-86314300-1522779365_thumb.j

• Like 5

I also see that Linny arrived at a station with proper signals and an even-properer (I'm tired...) signal box...

polegate_old8.jpg

polegate_old5.jpg

polegate_old2.jpg

Don't worry. If the way people talk at my end is anything to go by, "properer" is a real word.

• RMweb Gold

unfortunately Polegate no longer has proper signals, or a proper signal box :(

They were lost when Three Bridges took over all the signalling in Southern TOC territory, and since then people get caught between the level crossing gates every other week as they don't give enough warning!!!

(and even the station building from the old much larger station has now been demolished)

Gary

• Like 1

Ah, google lied! I can correct you though: TB has only spread as far West as Lancing (!), with the modern box there, Arundel (Panel - SR Art Deco), Littlehampton (Levers - LBSCR S&F, I believe), Barnham (Modern IECC, but a little one which basically replaces the mechanical box until TB takes over), Bognor (Levers - SR Art Deco) and Chichester (Panel? LBSCR 1870's pattern?) are extant, with Havant having its own centre because you're onto former South Western metals (though still on South Western-operated trains...).

• Like 1

polegate_old8.jpg

polegate_old5.jpg

polegate_old2.jpg

And some properer Terriers detailed by a properer bodger with properer bodging skills

• Like 1

Who I need to arrange with the particulars of having some triang clerestories chopped into tiny pieces and put back together as LBSCR Bogie stock...

Anyway...

Shall we give Linny his thread back?!

• RMweb Gold

Well it's good to know that some parts of the network haven't got TB!! (yet!!)

The good news is that there were some proper trains today!!

post-22762-0-94972700-1527461890_thumb.jpg

So not all is lost

(Other than my Stroudley's on the end there that is all Linny's stock! Does that count as giving the thread back??)

Gary

PS. It is good to know my bodging skills are properly appreciated!

• Like 5

Meanwhile, at 5'6" over here... I'll go and get something to stand on!

It was great to meet sem34090, and good to have a chat. Being up in Scotland most of the time, it's not easy to put names to faces, but I'll definitely be trying to do that more! We bumped into each other at Gaugemaster in Ford, and I walked out with a new controller and transformer for Linton, as well as splashing out on a Noch Gras-Master. Not the cheapest bit of kit, but if I'm going to do static grassing, I'd like to do it properly. The tool will no doubt also be useful at the model train club, and given that I expect to be getting my train fare down south back again through the delight that is Delay Repay, it's not as expensive as it could have been!

Going over to Gary's was a lovely afternoon. Great company, good chat, and the chance to see Oak Hill and Brighthelmstone in person, along with seeing Hailsham and having a go at operating. It'll be an impressive layout once built! We also decided to combine our respective Brighton fleets to really fill up Brighthelmstone works:

post-793-0-10546700-1527499587_thumb.jpg

post-793-0-66131600-1527499662_thumb.jpg

Gary was also kind enough to let me take this shot of my SE&CR locos around the turntable:

post-793-0-89313900-1527499785_thumb.jpg

A thoroughly lovely day, and a pity I had to leave!

• Like 8

Oh, and I got the driving coach side for the SE&CR push-pull set drawn up while I was on the train darting around the Sussex countryside, too. Next part to draw is the coach ends (four different styles!) and compartment dividers.

post-793-0-59007100-1527500422_thumb.png

• Like 5

*double checks his height* Hmmm....6' 5"... *walks away whistling nonchalantly*

:P

- Alex

Christ.

Not the tallest I know, mind you. My brother's best mate is 7' 1" and literally can't stand up straight in my living room!

Meanwhile, at 5'6" over here... I'll go and get something to stand on!

It was great to meet sem34090, and good to have a chat. Being up in Scotland most of the time, it's not easy to put names to faces, but I'll definitely be trying to do that more! We bumped into each other at Gaugemaster in Ford, and I walked out with a new controller and transformer for Linton, as well as splashing out on a Noch Gras-Master. Not the cheapest bit of kit, but if I'm going to do static grassing, I'd like to do it properly. The tool will no doubt also be useful at the model train club, and given that I expect to be getting my train fare down south back again through the delight that is Delay Repay, it's not as expensive as it could have been!

Going over to Gary's was a lovely afternoon. Great company, good chat, and the chance to see Oak Hill and Brighthelmstone in person, along with seeing Hailsham and having a go at operating. It'll be an impressive layout once built! We also decided to combine our respective Brighton fleets to really fill up Brighthelmstone works:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180527_202236324.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180527_201856718.jpg

Gary was also kind enough to let me take this shot of my SE&CR locos around the turntable:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180527_201621500.jpg

A thoroughly lovely day, and a pity I had to leave!

Sounds lovely! Makes me feel a little sad that I can't get out and meet you all to be honest, what with being unable to drive and living in the middle of nowhere and all. But being able to talk to you all on here is plenty good enough :)

Also Brighthelmstone looks fantastic! The perfect combination of simple and effective!

Oh, and I got the driving coach side for the SE&CR push-pull set drawn up while I was on the train darting around the Sussex countryside, too. Next part to draw is the coach ends (four different styles!) and compartment dividers.

attachicon.gifPushPullSides.png

Looks great so far, Linny!

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Photos edited already!!!! I haven't even sorted through to see which ones of mine came out well!!

The SE&CR set is looking great, I can't wait to get one (or two!)

Red, thanks for the compliment on Brighthelmstone, if you ever happen to be in this part of the country, and can overcome the anxiety you will alway be welcome to come and see it, and all the other layouts, in the flesh!! (you can even stand next to me and feel tall!!!)

Gary

• Like 4

Red, thanks for the compliment on Brighthelmstone, if you ever happen to be in this part of the country, and can overcome the anxiety you will alway be welcome to come and see it, and all the other layouts, in the flesh!! (you can even stand next to me and feel tall!!!)

Gary

xD If I am ever in your part of the country, I certainly shall.

• Like 2

Well, I'm on a train back to Edinburgh and work on the SE&CR coaches continues apace. I am trying to get the designs for at least one coach done before the weekend, when I'll have time to get onto the laser cutter. These kits will be rather more complex than the Stroudleys, requiring more overlays and containing more fiddly bits. However, the extra overlays mean I should be able to introduce tab-and-slot to make assembling and aligning the compartment dividers easier. A trade-off in complexity!

I'm also getting a lot more confident with the laser cutter, so I'm going to try engraving the thin card parts to represent the slatted door ventilators and door edges. These engraved lines can be seen in green, where the normal cuts are in orange. This image is just the thin-card parts for one bodyshell (minus the roof and one side overlay)! If there is space on the card, I'll include an extra set of plain end beading, for those who wish to make up their own alarm gear out of wire and bits of plasticard, rather than relying on my card representations.

post-793-0-84173100-1527616032_thumb.png

• Like 5

I'm going to try a different method of construction for these coaches - rather than applying overlays, forming turnunder/tumblehome, and them assembling, I'm going to try to build up the main bodyshell structure out of slot-together parts of thick card, to which the overlays are then applied. As such, the parts for a bodyshell are starting to look less recognisable as a coach body and more like some sort of horrifying 3-dimensional jigsaw puzzle...

post-793-0-95075500-1527710003_thumb.png

This weekend I plan to attempt a laser-cutting of this unholy combination of parts (and the beading/detailing) and see if I can make a coach body from it!

• Like 6

This weekend I plan to attempt a laser-cutting of this unholy combination of parts (and the beading/detailing) and see if I can make a coach body from it!

I did a similar thing with the shell for a building which I had laser cut in 1mm MDF.  It worked a treat and made for a really strong building.

Jim

I'm going to try a different method of construction for these coaches - rather than applying overlays, forming turnunder/tumblehome, and them assembling, I'm going to try to build up the main bodyshell structure out of slot-together parts of thick card, to which the overlays are then applied.

For the structural parts, could you use wood rather than thick card? I'm thinking about the longevity of the models, particularly if, like me, most of your collection lives in a loft with massively variable conditions and occasional damp. 

• Like 1

For the structural parts, could you use wood rather than thick card? I'm thinking about the longevity of the models, particularly if, like me, most of your collection lives in a loft with massively variable conditions and occasional damp. 

I'd looked into the possibility of using wood, however I found it hard to find wood which lasers nicely at 1mm thickness or less - most of what was available was MDF which is not known for its ability to withstand damp. The other issue is forming the curve at the bottom of the coach sides - card can be curved relatively easily, while MDF is rather more... rigid. I suspect part of the reason there are so few laser-cut wood coach kits is that if they're to be prototypical, they need to have straight sides.

I've not had any trouble with damp so far, but my built models have been painted all over (and even had waterslide transfers applied), and have lived in Scotland where the ambient humidity is quite high. I would imagine that if painted (and possibly sealed beforehand with shellac or similar?) the card ought to stand up to damp and varying temperatures. It may not be quite as durable as etched brass, but it's a bit of a trade-off vs. ease of construction.

• Like 1

I'm going to try a different method of construction for these coaches - rather than applying overlays, forming turnunder/tumblehome, and them assembling, I'm going to try to build up the main bodyshell structure out of slot-together parts of thick card, to which the overlays are then applied. As such, the parts for a bodyshell are starting to look less recognisable as a coach body and more like some sort of horrifying 3-dimensional jigsaw puzzle...

attachicon.gifJigsaw.png

I'm not entirely sure that SE&CR purple was a livery...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not entirely sure that SE&CR purple was a livery...

Extract from the Bluebell Railways page on SE&CR Carriage 3360

post-22762-0-46235300-1527801630.jpg

I think that covers it!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1