RMweb

Suggestions for N Gauge shunter

Hi there.

I am new to the British scene having been a US outline modeller for most of my life. I am now building an N Gauge layout based on the Cumbrian coast and am looking for a pilot/shunter suitable for DCC for the main terminus. I currently have an order for a Grafar 3F but it seems that this might be a long time coming. Has anyone any ideas what else I could use that would be reasonable in early BR.

Thanks in advance.

David

Ex-main man on the Sunset & North Eastern Railroad

Now the Fat Controller at Pennvale Sands LMR

A 4F http://www.hattons.co.uk/61125/Graham_Farish_372_062_Class_4F_0_6_0_43875_in_BR_black_with_early_emblem_Johnson_tender/StockDetail.aspx

or  an Ivatt

http://www.hattons.co.uk/182038/Graham_Farish_372_629_Class_2MT_Ivatt_2_6_0_46460_in_BR_lined_black_with_early_emblem_weathered/StockDetail.aspx

There is also the Dapol Ivatt 2-6-2 by Dapol if you can find one, these were quite nice but not DCC ready unless you are handy with a soldering iron, you'll probably need to go onto Ebay to find one of these though.

I have an Ivatt and a 4f but I would have thought that neither would be used for shunting. As I said, I have a Farish 3F on order but when it will arrive is anyone's guess. I might have to go for an 08 but it wouldn't really fit in with my theme. I will have to keep thinking.

David

Ex-main man on the Sunset & North Eastern Railroad

Now the Fat Controller at Pennvale Sands LMR

Hi , I have a Jinty and a 08 and both are DCC , however neither of them are yet reliable enough to give me the precise running I need for full Computer control , later this year I am going to be sending them off to have stay alives fitted ( it's beyond me ) and hopefully that will do the trick .

Hi

What about one of the Farish 64XX 0-6-0 Panders they are nice smooth runners that are DCC Ready although they take a decoder with right angled pins which limit the choice the Bachmann, or the Dapol version that takes a standard 6 pin decoder, I use both on my shunting layout to good effect.

Paul