Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

TV presenters you either love or hate

allan downes

Totally agree about both and no more so than Walliams hamming it up on Britain's ( not ) got Talent.

However, I was totally taken aback with his part in that TV one off,  'Partner's in Crime', and especially that most adorable Jessica Raine as his fumbling wife. So, why does he always HAVE to act up like the annoying streak that he is when he can actually act ?

Another is Rowan Atkinson as Mr Bean. Most despicable yet - the perfect choice for Maigret and a total transformation.

Of course, we won't talk too much about Pete Waterman, the ultimate check book modeller, who suddenly became  the rage with Model Railway mags who stuck him on their front covers and anywhere else they could fit him in and portraying him as some kind of expert. His Leamington Spa I believe was built entirely by the Leamington Spa  model railway club where his only contribution was buying the barn it's housed in and signing the checks. 

Allan

Pete Built all his 250 plus coaches and quite a lot of the Locos Allan, see from 16 mins.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4

I must be the only person who cannot stand Fiona Bruce. Add to that Holly Willoughby and Fearne Cotton, Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton, James Corden....This could be a long list! 

Alex Jones is a Goddess as far as I'm concerned. Michael Moseley, Mark Williams and Suzannah Lipscomb should all get a mention for great presenting. 

• Like 1

I must be the only person who cannot stand Fiona Bruce. Add to that Holly Willoughby and Fearne Cotton, Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton, James Corden....This could be a long list! 

There was a cartoon published in The Times by Peter Brookes. Dated 20th July 2017.

The caption was "It's amazing how much money this old tat can fetch".

Featured were Fiona Bruce mouthing those words. Also included were Gary Lineker, Graham Norton and Chris Evans, dressed up as "collectables".

Bernard

• Like 1

I must be the only person who cannot stand Fiona Bruce.

No not alone there. Perhaps ‘cannot stand’ is putting it a little strongly but I really dislike her manner in presenting the news.

I used to find her okay until a friend expressed a similar sentiment to your own.

I started to pay more attention to her and noticed she reads news items is if to a class of young kids. She stresses big numbers, big facts, with the same kind of rising emphasis you’d use if trying to impress a bunch of goggle eyed infants. Became intensely irritating once I’d noticed it.

The one I cannot stand is Laura Kuenssberg with her sneering presentation style and her penchant for finishing reports with, to her, some incisive, hanging question.

Listening, as I type, to ‘From Our Own Correspondent’ on Radio 4 I’m also mildly irritated by the habit of the reporters to end their reports with something like,

“On a street corner cafe I spoke to 85 year old Walli Dingbat Azram Bucket who said ‘...........’ “ and the old geezer ends the report with some pithy bit of wisdom worthy of the greatest philosophers.

Always comes across as so cliched.

• Like 2

A couple more of my favs are ' Location,Location' presenters, Phil Spencer and Kirste Allsopp. All the other property programme presenters can go to hell so long as they don't take Amanda Lamb with them !

'Escape To The Country' is totally naffed up by both the full of them selves presenters and the double naff house hunters throwing their wealth in your face. Typical quotes "This is the family bathroom "  " You could sit here at the end of the day with a glass of wine and enjoy the view "  " We'd like fifty acres, a vegetable plot and to start up a B &B business "  " Wow !" "Cor !"  "Super !"

Allan.

I started to pay more attention to her and noticed she reads news items is if to a class of young kids. She stresses big numbers, big facts, with the same kind of rising emphasis you’d use if trying to impress a bunch of goggle eyed infants. Became intensely irritating once I’d noticed it.

Absolutely! I half expect every report to start with "Good morning class" and to include a segment on why you shouldn't pick your noise and flick bogies at the kid in front...

All DJ'S should be imprisoned in a dark room and made to listen to their own inane voices 24/7

Then taken out at dawn and shot ( And Chris Evans shot twice...or more if there's enough ammo )

Allan

And Steve Wright...and Nick Grimshaw....oh no another long list started! 

• Like 1

I find most interviewers to be highly annoying these days. It seems that all sports people are bound by contracts to have some kind of media interaction immediately after a performance. 

Why TV people think sticking a microphone in the face of someone who has just run 10000 metres (and has difficulty standing, let alone answering such 'profound' questions as "can you describe your feelings right now?") is an entertaining phenomenon, I will never know. 

Could I be allowed to add all live sports interviewers to the list?

There are one or two "weather presenters" who get on my wick. Very dumbed down presentations, getting east and west mixed up for instance and not sure how the weather works so cannot be asked a question. One talks about "good spells of sunshine" several times during a broadcast. Does that mean there are "bad spells" and what on earth are they like? I feel justified in this as a retired meteorologist with broadcasting experience. On radio words have to have meaning as it is the only way you can engage an audience not throw out throwaway lines. But maybe I am just a grumpy old git.

• Like 2

I HATE / well really dislike, ALL current News presenters and Political reporters at the moment, as they all seem to want to bring the Government down, and If Labour or anyone else for that matter was in Government, would they be praising them? NO, it would be the same again, slagging them off. 

LK Fisal Islam, etc are all tared with the same brush.

Victoria Derbyshire is almost the worst, she asks a question, and then before the question is answered she RUDELY INTERRUPTS, and starts arguing without hearing half the answer. 

Wouldn't do for us all to like the same things [or people]........just a matter of individual taste.  Many of the TV personalities turn out to be lovely caring people when you meet them in the flesh, rather than their TV persona................

I HATE / well really dislike, ALL current News presenters and Political reporters at the moment, as they all seem to want to bring the Government down, and If Labour or anyone else for that matter was in Government, would they be praising them? NO, it would be the same again, slagging them off. 

LK Fisal Islam, etc are all tared with the same brush.

Victoria Derbyshire is almost the worst, she asks a question, and then before the question is answered she RUDELY INTERRUPTS, and starts arguing without hearing half the answer. 

Be honest Andrew - when have you actually heard a politician give a straight answer to a question! :no:

Jim

Fiona Bruce, Dan Snow, Jeremy “used car salesman” Vine and Tony Robinson are among the ones I cannot stand. The first two for being so lightweight and wooden. Whereas Vine and Robinson are so utterly arrogant and ignorant. Finally, the BBC news department, for being EU fifth columnists.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think political interviews are a classic chicken and egg situation. I'm sure interviewers get exasperated by politicians who do everything they can to avoid answering questions and just offer vacuous spin, and I'm just as sure politicians are fed up of rude and arrogant egos with an agenda trying to make them look stupid.

This thread is so interesting. Not so much for the inevitable lists of presenters/celebs, but more for the reasons given. It explains an awful lot both about the penchant for 1950's nostalgia in modelling, but also about something we should not mention.

But, s0d it.

I completely accept the personalities of various presenters will get a mixed reaction, as is shown. But some more recent posts have veered into politics, and assume bias, because the presenter, or indeed entire channel, is not putting their beliefs into a more positive light. There is absolutely no doubt that those of the opposite persuasion, think much the same of the same presenters, journalists and channel. Which means they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do, which is to hold people in authority to account. If you want a society in which the media only supports its rulers, but you also think that Britain was right to fight two world wars against dictators, you seriously need mental help.

Dislike all TV ex-newspaper hacks who sit around tables talking about what they would do if in parliament. Up & backsides...

Really? Which ones? All the ones I can think of, on mainstream UK channels, whether you like them or not (and I do not like a few), have never said what they would do if elected, never presuming to attempt that position. What the good ones do, is to point out the contradictions between what politicians say and what they actually do. A completely essential oversight of democracy, needed more now than ever. The Yanks do this incredibly so much better than we do, which is why president Rump is so infatuated with their opinions. But I would guess you would not like them either.

Perhaps you are thinking of some of the ex-politicians who now inhabit the broadcasting seating arrangements. Personally, whilst I totally enjoy the rail rambles of one, and the light entertainment slots of another, I find their smug political views rather disagreeable. Especially one, who is still technically a politician, but has a radio programme in London all of his own, to continue to broadcast his extraordinarily dishonest and distorted, patronising view of humanity.