Diddy Yard, OO Gauge in 30cm x 25cm

Guest ShildonShunter

Thanks Jerry I was stuck on a base for the crane but since you mentioned milk carton top has helped a great deal can't wait to see the update.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone.

I have done a bit more to the layout, finished ballasting, added coal to the coal staithes and a few more weeds.

Here are a couple of latest progress photos:

post-9096-0-74194200-1518272818_thumb.jpg

Side view.

post-9096-0-27157800-1518273025_thumb.jpg

Fiddle yard view.

And a photo for Shildon Shunter to try and show how I made the base for the crane:

post-9096-0-18431700-1518273128_thumb.jpg

More Soon.

Jerry.

• Like 5

Guest ShildonShunter

Fantastic Jerry great pictures of the wills kit yard crane at least I have an idea of what colours I can use on my own crane. Great ballasting also Jerry.

Thanks for your kind words guys.

I'm looking for a similar grocery box to make an extension, I hope pound land get some in soon.

Jerry.

Last week tried the two stores on a visit to Northampton and none there either.

As a stop gap fiddle yard have you considered a Peco lift mounted on blocks?

Low tech but would get you quickly operational.

By the way the model look great.

Regards,

d&h

Thanks for the replies guys.

I do have a spare box but it's got clay on it from a previous layout attempt, I might be able to salvage it.

The loco lift is an idea I have considered, might give it a go if I can't source another box.

I'm going to town soon so will look again in my local pound land also going to model shop to get a few bits to finish the layout.

More soon.

Jerry.

Guest ShildonShunter

Jerry your layout just gets better and more detailed splendid work mate I have just ordered some oil drums from modelscene for my layout.☺

Jerry, last picture the lower left layout corner (the grass around the tree) needs some more detailing IMO: maybe some gopher holes, flowers and/or some chickens? The ground vegetation is looking a bit uniform there ....

Otherwise it is such nice and sweet little layout.

Best Regards,

Christian

Jerry your layout just gets better and more detailed splendid work mate I have just ordered some oil drums from modelscene for my layout.☺

Thanks for your kind words, modelscene do some useful stuff.

Jerry, last picture the lower left layout corner (the grass around the tree) needs some more detailing IMO: maybe some gopher holes, flowers and/or some chickens? The ground vegetation is looking a bit uniform there ....

Otherwise it is such nice and sweet little layout.

Best Regards,

Christian

Hi, yeah I am going to sort that area out, my wife thought chickens too lol, I might put a mole hill in too.

Nearly finished it now, just a few things left to do, I'm hoping to extend it too.

Jerry.

Edited by Jerry1975

Hi Everyone.

I have been adding some more details to the layout, coal sacks, some ground cover and sheep and one or more figures.

Here is a photo of latest work:

post-9096-0-98990800-1518779806_thumb.jpg

post-9096-0-85821300-1518779841_thumb.jpg

Close up of coal yard area.

post-9096-0-68885400-1518779912_thumb.jpg

General view of the yard.

post-9096-0-57112400-1518779980_thumb.jpg

Close up of tree/sheep area showing my attempt at making a flower ( red ).

I just need to add a backscene now and add one or two more things and that's it.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of those boxes and I'm planning on joining them together to make a layout. I did enquire about any more boxes and apparently they were only stocked for Christmas. Another source of similar boxes, also near to Christmas is those special presentation boxes usually containing alcoholic drinks with cheese and biscuits. I've managed to scrounge a few, one is going to house a diorama and another is going to hold the controllers etc. for a layout.

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Jerry brilliant detailing within your layout and its amazing how much you can achieve in such a small place. Have you started on the extension part to your layout.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your replies, kind comments etc.

I was hoping they would get some more boxes in stock but alas this doesn't seem to be the case, I have managed however to salvage one I had already, so an extension is going to be built.

With the layout more or less complete I'm am really pleased with how it has turned out and as mentioned an extension is on it's way.

This will have a small halt station and possibly a low relief engine shed, this may change as I shuffle track about etc.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your replies, kind comments etc.

I was hoping they would get some more boxes in stock but alas this doesn't seem to be the case, I have managed however to salvage one I had already, so an extension is going to be built.

With the layout more or less complete I'm am really pleased with how it has turned out and as mentioned an extension is on it's way.

This will have a small halt station and possibly a low relief engine shed, this may change as I shuffle track about etc.

More soon.

Jerry.

Sounds interesting. I remember an article in the Railway Modeller (which I've not been able to locate) some years ago with a micro described as a "two in one". This I seem to remember was two different scenes with a mirror image track plan. The idea being that one half was used as a fiddle yard while operating the other, and so you could have two sets of stock for different eras/settings.

Regards,

d&h

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your replies, D&H: That layout sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind reading the article if anyone could shed some light on it.

I have been tinkering with the new extension and here is a photo of my latest idea:

post-9096-0-34194600-1518982253_thumb.jpg

You will have to use your imagination, the bit top left will be a very low relief engine shed front ( need to build one ) and the other line will have a Halt station.

It looks a bit bare at the moment, my wife reckons I should just leave the yard and not have an extension as it "looks very good and the other bit spoils it ".

It will look better when it's finished I said.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 6

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your replies, D&H: That layout sounds interesting, I wouldn't mind reading the article if anyone could shed some light on it.

I have been tinkering with the new extension and here is a photo of my latest idea:

WP_20180218_19_15_10_Pro.jpg

You will have to use your imagination, the bit top left will be a very low relief engine shed front ( need to build one ) and the other line will have a Halt station.

It looks a bit bare at the moment, my wife reckons I should just leave the yard and not have an extension as it "looks very good and the other bit spoils it ".

It will look better when it's finished I said.

More soon.

Jerry.

Oooooh. It does look good but i think that it would be better to keep it modular so you can easily split the layout.