Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

The new double slip is working much better than the old one, so just the ballasting to complete. One of the tests was with a Crab and here she is with a local to Derby.

DSC00507.JPG.85df46dc8b86b7693a7057d957085471.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Day 1 after 4hr chemo session yesterday afternoon. Apart from a bit of a headache, no adverse reactions so far. Hardly slept last night but that's due to the steroids. I was fearing an instant dire side effect which would have occurred as the first infusion went in (there's a bit of clue there as to what it would have been!) but was not to be thankfully.

Double slip is working well. There was one derailment of one set of bogie wheels on a Hornby corridor coach even though the b-t-b was the same as all others to measurable limits. A 0.5mm increase cured the problem.

I also found out a neighbour two doors down is also a railway modeller he only has boards laid and a bit of track, so reciprocative visits are to be arranged.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

The 1P is entering the home straight with a back-head, cab fittings and a crew needed. At some point I must get round to lining at least one of the passenger tanks.

DSC00515.JPG.42e42732a62f6a24b8a12506e4aaeb65.JPG

DSC00514.JPG.9343b09ce85c06d9b66a2170f59d076f.JPG

Edit

Crew now fitted and will miss out back-head as it cannot be seen once the crew is there. I've also fitted the front coupling hook which I found had been missed out of the last photo.

Edited by Rowsley17D
Further info
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Taking advantage of the warm weather, I got some undercoats of Halfords' primer and surface primer on to the Flatiron.

DSC00517.JPG.a34c8298f4b1ec992f20affe832cbcb2.JPG

DSC00518.JPG.36dde419eec78f33087b671629779a3a.JPG

DSC00519.JPG.5abb8159d0c7abc5e0c002d83a7f84d5.JPG

The cab roof was still in the box when the other bits were being sprayed.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Sadly they wern't very good in real life. Not one of Deeley's best that's for sure.

Regards Lez.

Would have been better as a 2-6-2?

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Sadly they wern't very good in real life. Not one of Deeley's best that's for sure.

Regards Lez.

Depends on which books you read...

Baz

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Depends on which books you read...

Baz

All the ones I've read seem to disparage them so I'm going with that. The fact that they wern't very long lived seems to concur with that overall sentiment. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They were a small class.. didn't fit in with the rest of the LMS loco progression so.. went.. as did other 0-6-4t and 4-6-4T types. They lasted over 30 years  which isn't too bad..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Back to the Flatiron saga. Trying to get pick-ups on the chassis was a right pain  and I could only manage to do the front and rear wheels. There are holes in the chassis where you would think plunger pick-ups would go but these are not in line with the wheels.

With the final drive cog on the middle set of wheels freewheeling I could push the loco on track with no binding of the rods. Put power to the motor and the gearing ran sweetly. Tighten up the grub screw on the final drive cog and binding ensues. After a week of fiddling and general messing about, I thought life is too short for me and bought a very reasonably priced Bachmann Jinty of the Bay of e. After cutting off the outside brake pull rods and applying several slivers of Plastikard to the body to bring it up to the right height, I feel as though I'm getting there. Next a decoder fitting and then then fixing the bogie in place with frame extensions to reduced the daylight around it.

DSC00556.JPG.a054608b5cc741c2975a25023d7bc7d7.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Did you file a flat on the driven axle for the worm gear Jonathan. It sounds like the gear is running out of true when you tighten up the grub screw. If you file a flat on the axle and tighten up the grub screw until it touches then back it off 1/4 turn and fix with loctite 601 or equivalent it should stop the binding.

It's a bit locking the stable door after the horse has bolted but that's the way to stop worm gears binding. The other thing you can do is leave out the screw and loctite it in place as loctite is self centring.

Regards Lez.   

Edited by lezz01
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Too late Lez, the chassis is stripped. The box is a High Level Road Runner, 2 stage, and with the rods off it would turn the driven wheels with no problems. It was the rods causing the problems. It didn't help that different crank pins of various diameter were used some of which appear to have been riveted in.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Decoder fitted and it goes like a dream now the mechs have had some silicone grease. Just the bogie to sort and the livery. Needless to say more paint has come off with all the handling.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

In bid to get away for couple of days from hospitals and chemo we went to Pitlochry for 3 nights this week. One of the days we went to Inverness via the Highland line. While waiting for our late-running train, an HST came into the station to wait for a path south.

IMG_20230711_102715.jpg.62137cd4f20f6791862d11b6e47da7f2.jpg

IMG_20230711_102734.jpg.3e2729a5a8b35f75213b196e43c2721d.jpg

IMG_20230711_102756.jpg.b6dd51817b9240d2d1d2a3041051fd0a.jpg

• Like 15

Wow, absolutely cracking modelling in this thread. Had a dip back a few pages or so, to get a flavour (its a massive thread), great to see another Derbyshire layout.

Sorry to hear of your health issues, hopefully the modelling proves to be a distraction.

Best wishes

TT100 Diesels

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I've finally got fed-up with the Minx Microdrive system for changing turnouts in the fiddle yard and they are on offer free in the Classifieds should anybody still use them. This was an idea which was too far ahead of the technology at the time. The least bit change in temperature caused the built-in alarms to sound, as did any slight movement of the turnout itself. It also required a very smooth input.

I've plenty servos and channel to hold them. the servos will be above board and I've 4 in place already. I'm going to used MegaPoints stuff to activate them and their relays to change polarity. The existing fiddle yard control panel will still be used as ordinary on-off switches can be used instead of passing contact ones which some systems rely on. Just as a comparison I went to DCC Concepts at the weekend to see  how much their stuff would cost for the fiddle yard, just under £350! MegaPoints is less £150.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The Minx Microdrives will soon be on their way to a new home. I'm just glad that somebody can make use of them rather than going to the tip.

Here's a couple of servos in place as I wait for the delivery from MegaPoints.

DSC00590.JPG.f0d7ab555c19ad68a92229178fcfbf49.JPG

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 5