Right, my livestock vans have arrived.

post-33750-0-36205000-1520339741_thumb.png

The two with grey roofs are old Triang with thick wheels, which again concerns me that they won't be good runners considering Moxy's warning and the warnings of others; though one has white-lined wheels. Don't know if that makes a difference (hope so - the brake coach for the branch train has them as well!). The third one with the white roof, however, is a late-run Triang with modern wheels from just before they became Triang-Hornby. They'll be painted in a variety of browns to make them all look different. 

• Like 5

And three livestock vans painted.
post-33750-0-39631100-1520355678_thumb.png
And just realised there's a brown smudge on the van on the far right. D*mn it. 
Anyway, I'm hoping that the wheels will be fine as much of the sets of lines the freight vans will be running on are straight lines apart from only one or two sets of points leading into the three stations' goods yards.

• Like 3

Doing some stock taking. Keeping note of what I have at this time, which I shall list in case anyone is interested.

FINISHED LOCOMOTIVES I HAVE TO HAND

No.1 Bulldog - Triang Nellie repaint/slight modification

No.2 Wild Rover - 0-6-0 rebuild of Hornby B12 (old Triang sculpt)

Partially deconstructed Hornby Toby (for parts)

UNFINISHED LOCOMOTIVES I HAVE TO HAND

No.3 Peter - Bashed saddle tank made from various starter loco parts

LOCOMOTIVES THAT HAVEN'T ARRIVED YET

No.4 Revenant - Hornby-Dublo starter loco body shell repaint on new chassis

ROLLING STOCK I OWN

5x Hornby/Triang open wagons, 1 of which "Charrington's" private owner

1x Hornby starter box brakevan

1x Hornby box van

3x Triang livestock vans

1x Triang LMS suburban 3rd brake coach

1x Triang horsebox

4x Triang blood-and-custard Mk.1 1st coaches

1x Triang crane

Aaaaaand that's everything I have at the moment. Not a gigantic amount of stock at this time, especially as this is probably going to be a big layout.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 3

I'm just waiting for Sem34090 to get this far so I can tell him to stop reading your topic and get back to work on Derwent!

:jester:

Nice to see someone other than DoubleDeckInterurban is enjoying it  :jester:

Anyway, important news!

post-33750-0-33890400-1520533001_thumb.png

THE RED BEAST has arrived.

First off, this tank engine is utterly colossal, even bigger than I expected. I have Bulldog in the pictures for scale, but they really don't do this monster justice.

post-33750-0-84188100-1520533306_thumb.png

Revenant is not an appropriate name. I need something better. If anyone has any suggestions for No.4 here let me know. (The 0-4-0 chassis it's on, taken from the Caley Pug obliterated to make what exists so far of Peter, is not permanent, it was just added to help get an accurate depiction of the size of this thing.)

Plus, I can now confirm its identity now I have it in hand. And... Nearholmer was correct when he said it's a bash, albeit one that's extremely well done, certainly far better than I can do, at least at this point. It's a Hornby-Dublo starter 0-4-0 with the cab extended, which explains why the proportions of the cab are really off. This underside photo of the body shell should confirm that, as the plasticard used to strengthen the sides of the cab extension are clearly visible.

post-33750-0-58890800-1520533480_thumb.png

From the outside it's quite hard to tell it was extended without looking hard at it. 

I really like this engine. This is exactly the sort of engine that deserves to be on the KLR. It's strange, but unique, and has an odd charm to it. Yes, it's rather ugly, but just because you're not good looking doesn't mean you're not useful. Take me for example xD

Now to take some measurements and work out what chassis I'll need to make this run. Also to paint this guy in a nice coat of KLR goods black.

• Like 5

Anyway, important news!

attachicon.gifKLR No.4 arrives.png

THE RED BEAST has arrived.

First off, this tank engine is utterly colossal, even bigger than I expected. I have Bulldog in the pictures for scale, but they really don't do this monster justice.

attachicon.gifKLR No.4 - KLR No.1 comparison.png

Revenant is not an appropriate name. I need something better. If anyone has any suggestions for No.4 here let me know. (The 0-4-0 chassis it's on, taken from the Caley Pug obliterated to make what exists so far of Peter, is not permanent, it was just added to help get an accurate depiction of the size of this thing.)

Plus, I can now confirm its identity now I have it in hand. And... Nearholmer was correct when he said it's a bash, albeit one that's extremely well done, certainly far better than I can do, at least at this point. It's a Hornby-Dublo starter 0-4-0 with the cab extended, which explains why the proportions of the cab are really off. This underside photo of the body shell should confirm that, as the plasticard used to strengthen the sides of the cab extension are clearly visible.

attachicon.gifKLR No.4 identity.png

From the outside it's quite hard to tell it was extended without looking hard at it. 

I really like this engine. This is exactly the sort of engine that deserves to be on the KLR. It's strange, but unique, and has an odd charm to it. Yes, it's rather ugly, but just because you're not good looking doesn't mean you're not useful. Take me for example xD

Now to take some measurements and work out what chassis I'll need to make this run. Also to paint this guy in a nice coat of KLR goods black.

Looks like a beast of a goods/mineral tank to me.  Lots of small driving wheels, perhaps; 6 or 8?

Looks like a beast of a goods/mineral tank to me.  Lots of small driving wheels, perhaps; 6 or 8?

Oh, that was the idea for what it'll work with. If you remember I was planning for this to be an 0-8-0 or maybe even an 0-10-0 just before I bought it a little over a week ago. Need a heavy freight engine for the KLR.

• Like 1

How about an 0-6-2T? Will a Triang 0-6-0 chassis fit under her? Or better make her an 0-8-0T by modifiying the Triang chassis like a mate did here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77470-caledonian-tank-loco-scratch-build-from-post-no-10/

Andy G

Clever. I'm not very good at modifying chassis at all so I prefer premade ones, and I've got none to hand at this time except for the utterly rubbish 0-4-0 ones and an equally crummy Toby one. An 0-8-0T was the hope anyway though.

If it helps, its interior dimensions are: length 98mm (just under 4"); width 32mm (about 1.5"); depth doesn't matter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Theres plenty of cheep triangs on ebay, just take a punt on one and then take a drill to it. its best if you have pillar drill (to ensure verticality when drilling) but you can do it by eye, I did it in post 115 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67934-highland-bodgery/page-5

Its all fun and games this bodging lark, and if you don't try you won't know....

Andy G

(the west side of Norfolk)

• Like 1

Theres plenty of cheep triangs on ebay, just take a punt on one and then take a drill to it. its best if you have pillar drill (to ensure verticality when drilling) but you can do it by eye, I did it in post 115 here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67934-highland-bodgery/page-5

Its all fun and games this bodging lark, and if you don't try you won't know....

Andy G

(the west side of Norfolk)

Yeah, I don't have either a hand drill or a pillar drill. I'm working the most bare bones of bare bones. Literally the most complex thing I have is a set of files and some screwdrivers.

• Like 1

From what You've put, I suspect you're not far from me. If you need a quick pillar drill session then I have one you can use.

As I've also noted I can't drive. Getting there is something of an issue. Also, not having the materials I'd need to do so. However, the willingness to assist me to such an extent is truly heartwarming.  

My crippling social anxiety also doesn't help matters, if I'm allowed to be brutally frank. The mind is willing, but the emotions are unable. 

Bit of an update. The unnamed No.4 is now painted. All it needs now is the lettering, which I'll be ordering shortly, and the chassis, when I can finally work out what I need.

post-33750-0-20530400-1520542494_thumb.png

That and a name. Hopefully you guys can provide that.

• Like 6

Bit of an update. The unnamed No.4 is now painted. All it needs now is the lettering, which I'll be ordering shortly, and the chassis, when I can finally work out what I need.

attachicon.gifKLR No.4 painted.png

That and a name. Hopefully you guys can provide that.

Call it Gordon! :laugh:

No, not really. I don't know why but I feel that Kelly might be a good name for No. 4.

• Like 1

Rather late I know, (I usually am), but by way of encouragement, have you seen your "views" figure? At 4,754 in less than one month, I would say that there are many others enjoying the thread, me included. Keep up the "bashing"!

Best wishes,

Al.

Edit to suggest a name. Looking at the size of it, how about Hercules, or Atlas?

Edited by Tiptonian

So many name suggestions...

Call it Gordon! :laugh:

No, not really. I don't know why but I feel that Kelly might be a good name for No. 4.

...as much as I like big things with ironically unassuming names, I like the I think I'm going to have to pass on both of those, especially as Gordon has already been taken several times, not just by the obvious one.

Rather late I know, (I usually am), but by way of encouragement, have you seen your "views" figure? At 4,754 in less than one month, I would say that there are many others enjoying the thread, me included. Keep up the "bashing"!

Best wishes,

Al.

Edit to suggest a name. Looking at the size of it, how about Hercules, or Atlas?

Really? That many? Wow. Thought it would only be a couple hundred, maybe half a thousand at the most.
I like both of those names. Those are going on the list.

Brutus perhaps?

Another excellent name.

G'Day Folks

lots of industrial locos have female names, so how about, Eve, Mable, Joan, Elsa, or if your game ....Fanny  :jester:

manna

Again, see my reply to DoubleDeckInterurban. Especially not on the last option. Please manna, there might be kids reading this!  :laugh:

So currently a toss-up between BrutusHercules or Atlas. I'll wait for some more people's suggestions before making a decision.
Still looking for that chassis as well. Potentially leaning more towards 0-6-2T rather than 0-8-0T.

• Like 2

...So currently a toss-up between BrutusHercules or Atlas. I'll wait for some more people's suggestions before making a decision...

I was only joking about the whole 'Gordon' thing. But out of those three I think Brutus is the most suitable.

• Like 1

Ok, now I have No.4 painted, let's look at all the other stuff from the lot of body shells that it came from, in order of how interesting I find them from least to most. 

post-33750-0-42538000-1520610954_thumb.pngpost-33750-0-42166900-1520611120_thumb.png

To start off, the ubiquitous Hornby Caley Pug and Triang Jinty. There is ALWAYS a Caley Pug and Jinty. The Jinty has no chimney or front buffers. The Pug also has no chimney. Fortunately, these are the least interesting items of the entire lot.

post-33750-0-63466000-1520611792_thumb.png

Next up the list, what appears to be an Airfix Large Prairie. D*mn, why couldn't it have been a 14xx? :( I can still work with this but still... Only interesting nore is the rear bufferbeam has clearly been patched up with plasticard. Clearly whoever previously owned this and No.4 was good with their plasticard. 

post-33750-0-61769300-1520612004_thumb.png

Next up is a Triang B12. It's been spraypainted black, given new handrails and had the front bufferbeam painted but nothing unu...
Wait. WAIT. Are those O gauge brass buffers? xD Literally only just noticed that as I was writing this.

post-33750-0-25819200-1520611267_thumb.png

Moving progressively up the scale of intrigue, we get this very forlorn Hornby Thomas. No buffers, no front bufferbeam, no face, no steps. I like the Hornby Thomas sculpt (I know quite a lot of people don't) and I genuinely find myself feeling a bit sorry for it (sad, I know). I think we've found our KLR No.5, and the basis of a nice mixed-traffic 0-6-0 tank. 

post-33750-0-71418700-1520612609_thumb.png

Next up is a Hornby (former Triang) Princess with one buffer missing. It's a pleasant (if inaccurate) green colour and is otherwise fine. 

post-33750-0-69349800-1520612995_thumb.png

Then a Lima Crab tender. Nice. New tenders are always helpful.

post-33750-0-13109400-1520613329_thumb.png

And then a black unidentified bodyshell of a Peppercorn A1. Nicely detailed, but it's very spartan. No buffers, no smokebox door, no handrails, no whistle, not even a cab interior or floor. I have no idea what company made this, but whatever company did knew what they were doing.

post-33750-0-28530100-1520613558_thumb.png

And finally, this... THIS. I was really not expecting this. This appears to be a red plastic push along variant of the Triang Nellie. Some moulding differences, but it's clearly the same locomotive and the same scale. I genuinely didn't know this existed. It's also got no whistle hole or buffers and is painted in Southern livery on the left side and GWR on the right, Corbs style.

All in all, quite a useful lot of little locomotive shells to use. Excellent bashing fodder!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I have a B12 chassis going spare if you want one, and I'm sure I have some Hornby LMS tender chassis mouldings kicking around somewhere as well if you want them...

Andy G