RMweb

The big tank, what about Mammoth or Mastodon?  Needs an imposing name.  Hercules or Brutus would be a good choice. 

Yes! Mastodon it is! Why didn't I think of that? Thank you! :)

I have a B12 chassis going spare if you want one, and I'm sure I have some Hornby LMS tender chassis mouldings kicking around somewhere as well if you want them...

Andy G

The tender chassis would be nice, especially as it has wheels too and assuming it'd actually fit a Lima Crab tender body. Always useful to have a spare tender. The B12 one I'm not sure as I don't really need a full B12 - for large passenger locomotives I'm fine with Wild Rover at this moment. Still need a chassis for No.4 (now Mastodon) though. Leaning towards 0-6-2T as that'll be easier to get hands on, though I did originally have an 0-8-0T that was inspiring me. Namely the old KESR's Hecate

post-33750-0-39984000-1520691859.jpg

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 1

I think the black Peppercorn A1 is either Trix or Liliput from the Bala factory way back in the day.

Good fun reading this and looking to read more

Bob

Thanks for the info. Can't tell if that second statement was a warning or not.

Anyway, update time!

post-33750-0-25143600-1520624298_thumb.png

My little 0-6-0 mixed-traffic tank takes shape. And I have the perfect name for it.

So, here it is. KLR No.5, Geoffrey Lake, named after my great-grandfather, who inspired my love of railways by telling me tales of his life working for the LNER and reading the Railway Series to me when I was a child. It only seems fitting, even now some 13 years after his passing, to name a rebuild of a Hornby Thomas after him.

Here's to you, Pop.

Apologies for getting a little emotional there. We now return to our usual scheduled programming.

• Like 4

I do happen to have a lima crab tender complete if you want one (or two)...

Andy G

Hmm... tempting... Don't suppose you'd happen to have a running LMS Pug chassis with the cab still attached spare by any chance? xD

But yeah, definitely. As I said before, spare tenders are always helpful. But I do ask you guys for a lot already though, with the brainstorming and everything. Don't want to be sponging materials off you too... :(

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sadly no pug, but the lima tenders are spares as I'm replacing them with Airfix ones... If you can use them, you can have them, and it will get some stuff out of the house and get me some brownie points tooo!

Andy G

Sadly no pug, but the lima tenders are spares as I'm replacing them with Airfix ones... If you can use them, you can have them, and it will get some stuff out of the house and get me some brownie points tooo!

Andy G

Thanks. Tenders are always good to have in case. Again though, the question of getting them to me arises as I can't drive. Plus my financial situation is... complex. Long story and I don't want to go into it.

Also, on a side note, any suggestions on what chassis to use on Geoffrey Lake? Not sure if the standard Thomas chassis will still look right with the raised footplates on the ends.

Thanks. Tenders are always good to have in case. Again though, the question of getting them to me arises as I can't drive. Plus my financial situation is... complex. Long story and I don't want to go into it.

Also, on a side note, any suggestions on what chassis to use on Geoffrey Lake? Not sure if the standard Thomas chassis will still look right with the raised footplates on the ends.

Maybe a 2-4-0?

Or a 0-4-2?

Edited by DoubleDeckInterurban

• RMweb Premium

PM me an address and I'll drop them in the post, no charge. I also have some old triang 2-6-2T chassis, minus the ponys, so they are effectively -0-6-0 chassis, I can shove one of them in the box as well for you....

Andy G

PM me an address and I'll drop them in the post, no charge. I also have some old triang 2-6-2T chassis, minus the ponys, so they are effectively -0-6-0 chassis, I can shove one of them in the box as well for you....

Andy G

Or an 0-4-2 or 0-4-4? Use the Nellie chassis with different sized wheels to get larger passenger style drivers...

Andy G

Thank you SO much! I'll send you that post-haste! The chassis question was more based on aesthetics as I raised the footplate, so I don't want it to look like it's floating.

Also, 2-6-2... how long is it? If it's 98mm not including couplings, then we may have our chassis for Mastodon...

And changing wheels... yeah, I have no idea how to do that. And I only have one Nellie chassis, which is currently in-use in original form running Bulldog.

• RMweb Premium

I'll have a look in my wheelsets box, but the triang wheels are effectively push fit to the axles, the only thing to be careful about is to get them quartered correctly (ie so that the crankpins are at 90* to each other from side to side).

Andy G

I'll have a look in my wheelsets box, but the triang wheels are effectively push fit to the axles, the only thing to be careful about is to get them quartered correctly (ie so that the crankpins are at 90* to each other from side to side).

Andy G

Duly noted. Though really that's common sense. 

And thanks. Get back to me on those measurements. Finally having a third running locomotive would be fantastic. :)

Geoffrey Lake is now painted. Man, the Hornby Thomas mould is hard to paint. Especially when you have no idea how to dismantle it. So apologies that it's a teeny bit wibbly.

post-33750-0-20962500-1520670287_thumb.jpg

So now I have two finished body shells with no chassis and one half shell. Well, Mastodon might soon have a chassis (thanks uax6) but Geoffrey Lake here definitely doesn't right now. 

Also I forgot to order the lettering so that'll have to wait for now as well.

• Like 3

Geoffrey Lake is now painted. Man, the Hornby Thomas mould is hard to paint. Especially when you have no idea how to dismantle it. So apologies that it's a teeny bit wibbly.

attachicon.gifKLR No.5 WIP 2.jpg

So now I have two finished body shells with no chassis and one half shell. Well, Mastodon might soon (thanks uax6) but Geoffrey Lake here definitely doesn't right now. 

Also I forgot to order the lettering so that'll have to wait for now as well.

Will you actually put a nameplate or write the name on the loco or is this just the unofficial name like the others?

Will you actually put a nameplate or write the name on the loco or is this just the unofficial name like the others?

I really want to do nameplates on all of them. But I don't know how. I hate using decals because I'm awful at putting them on, I'm not very good with plasticard and I'm sure getting them custom made for me, especially for an indefinite number of locomotives, would be very expensive. Numbers are the same, except I can get them premade rather easily (just buy sprues from Slater's.) But with nameplate letters being so tiny I'd probably find it very difficult to do so with those.

I really want to do nameplates on all of them. But I don't know how. I hate using decals because I'm awful at putting them on, I'm not very good with plasticard and I'm sure getting them custom made for me, especially for an indefinite number of locomotives, would be very expensive. Numbers are the same, except I can get them premade rather easily (just buy sprues from Slater's.) But with nameplate letters being so tiny I'd probably find it very difficult to do so with those.

Did a quick search and found this:

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/nameplate-styles

You can order custom nameplates from this site along with worksplates, numberplates and you can also get them in sets. (See 'Custom Etched Products') Although if you want worksplates from what I've seen they are limited to actual manufacturers.

Hope you don't mind but I'm considering ordering a set of nameplates myself and I'm trying to think of a name for my future Class 112 Cravens DMU. Any ideas?

Did a quick search and found this:

https://shop.narrowplanet.co.uk/collections/nameplate-styles

You can order custom nameplates from this site along with worksplates, numberplates and you can also get them in sets. (See 'Custom Etched Products') Although if you want worksplates from what I've seen they are limited to actual manufacturers.

Hope you don't mind but I'm considering ordering a set of nameplates myself and I'm trying to think of a name for my future Class 112 Cravens DMU. Any ideas?

Oh wow. Forgot about Narrow Planet. Thanks a bunch!

Hmm. Your region of choice is Yorkshire, right? So how about Penny Hedge?

• Like 1

Oh wow. Forgot about Narrow Planet. Thanks a bunch!

Hmm. Your region of choice is Yorkshire, right? So how about Penny Hedge?

Thanks! Now to find a good style and where to place the things!

EDIT: I've chosen to (maybe) do the LNER style ones, NOW TO FIND A GOOD PLACE TO PUT THESE!

Thanks! Now to find a good style and where to place the things!

EDIT: I've chosen to (maybe) do the LNER style ones, NOW TO FIND A GOOD PLACE TO PUT THESE!

Glad you like it. For those that don't know, it's an ancient folklore tradition from Whitby.

Also I can see how that's irritating on a DMU. I've personally chosen the Isaac ones because I like the font.

Straightening the running plate on that loco makes a big difference, wish I had done that on mine.

Thanks Corbs. I love the Hornby Thomas sculpt but I didn't want Geoffrey Lake to look like I'd just repainted a Thomas. I'm not that lazy xD. All I did was hack off the ends, file down the bunker and add the ends off the running plate of the same 101 I've already hacked to pieces. (Feel kind of sorry for the thing, I've hacked so much off it it's now just a cab front and tanks.)

Hoping to also give it outside cylinders as I want to make it look even less Thomas-y, considering it'll very probably be an 0-6-0T. Only issue, as previously noted, is fitting a chassis as the running plate edit raises both buffer beams. I want this engine to look right, even more so than normal as I've given myself that emotional investment with that name. On the normal Thomas chassis I'd expect it to sit too high.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah exactly, Thomas is 'wrong' in that he has a raised running plate and splashers, when it should be one or the other. I took the splashers off mine and you've straightened the running plate :)

The other option you could do is similar to my 'evil thomas' and use a Bachmann junior chassis to convert it to an 0-6-2T?

Yeah exactly, Thomas is 'wrong' in that he has a raised running plate and splashers, when it should be one or the other. I took the splashers off mine and you've straightened the running plate :)

The other option you could do is similar to my 'evil thomas' and use a Bachmann junior chassis to convert it to an 0-6-2T?

Hmm. Decisions, decisions. Thing is I like it to be an 0-6-0T. It's what I consider the quintessential mixed-traffic tank wheel arrangement. That or 0-4-2T. I'm hoping to possibly make Mastodon an 0-6-2T though, bring it back to its apparent mineral tank heritage as it's proving very difficult to make it an 0-8-0T like I'd wished. Set it running backwards and forwards hauling aggregates from Alnerwick Quarry to Kelsby Yard, or to Telham Yard if I have the room to make it. uax6 is providing a Triang Prairie chassis that should enable me to if I can work out how to fit a new front coupling. And assuming it fits, obviously.

• Like 1