Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Ah, you see, I will do everything in my power to introduce as many terriers to layouts as I can!

I've even changed my avatar to help persuade you all!

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 3

I too suffer from this problem on a regular basis, and (I suspect much like yourself) am hopefully waiting for prices of the old model to plummet once the new one is out/a bit nearer to release.

I too suffer from this problem on a regular basis, and (I suspect much like yourself) am hopefully waiting for prices of the old model to plummet once the new one is out/a bit nearer to release.

Why do you think most of my models are running on ancient Triang chassis? Because they're dirt cheap! (Also why Peter still sits as just a tank and smokebox on the shelf above my workbench.)

• RMweb Gold

My advice would be to save your pennies and buy a soldering iron kit and teach yourself to solder (also if you can, a dremel) - because being able to do wiring etc. frees up a whole range of bodgery and the ability to put cheap ebay motors in old chassis etc.- like I did recently with a modern Hornby motor in an old airfix chassis, it's a real bodge but it works and cheaper than buying a brand new chassis (the motor and gears were less than a tenner).

• Like 3

My advice would be to save your pennies and buy a soldering iron kit and teach yourself to solder (also if you can, a dremel) - because being able to do wiring etc. frees up a whole range of bodgery and the ability to put cheap ebay motors in old chassis etc.- like I did recently with a modern Hornby motor in an old airfix chassis, it's a real bodge but it works and cheaper than buying a brand new chassis (the motor and gears were less than a tenner).

Good advice. I can get a dremel pretty easily as there's a good DIY shop in Watton near where I work. Can probably get soldering stuff from there too. I can easily keep buying little bits like cheap body shells (also if I can find any ultra-cheap locos on eBay that people have missed.)

• Like 2

Shops? Is that what those buildings that sell goods are called? ;)

Dremel for £32:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-3000-15-Multitool-130-Accessories/dp/B0078LENZC/ref=sr_1_5?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1522776946&sr=1-5&keywords=dremel

Note: I would NOT buy a draper or other cheap brand one, having had 2 and both fell apart within days.

Duly noted. Thank you very much for that info. Might make my future work a lot less messy that the construction of Wild Rover was.

Edited by RedGemAlchemist
  • Like 2

Good advice. I can get a dremel pretty easily as there's a good DIY shop in Watton near where I work. Can probably get soldering stuff from there too. I can easily keep buying little bits like cheap body shells (also if I can find any ultra-cheap locos on eBay that people have missed.)

Corbs is absolutely right about buying quality tools at a sensibly low price.  I recently bought a Chinese made gas soldering iron which fell apart while hot after less than 10 hours work...Scary!

A small Antex bought unused from eBay and an introduction to the wonders of solder paint have opened up a whole world of modelling I couldn't attempt before.  The only problem now is finding cheap brass kits.  The only cure for that I'm afraid is patience.

post-22897-0-89236500-1522852240_thumb.jpg

This is my first attempt at a brass wagon in N gauge.  I want more!

• Like 2

Corbs is absolutely right about buying quality tools at a sensibly low price.  I recently bought a Chinese made gas soldering iron which fell apart while hot after less than 10 hours work...Scary!

A small Antex bought unused from eBay and an introduction to the wonders of solder paint have opened up a whole world of modelling I couldn't attempt before.  The only problem now is finding cheap brass kits.  The only cure for that I'm afraid is patience.

attachicon.gifWalrus.JPG

This is my first attempt at a brass wagon in N gauge.  I want more!

Very nice, and in N!

Some really great looking buildings in the background there, too.

Very nice, and in N!

Some really great looking buildings in the background there, too.

I second that.

Lovely work.

The buildings, very classy. Card or styrene?

Chris.

I second that.

Lovely work.

The buildings, very classy. Card or styrene?

Chris.

They're styrene as I prefer the textured surface.  I have yet to try 'bumpy card' but am tempted to try it for a cobbled quay side with inset track.

• Like 1

Been discussing some stuff with sem34090. I now have a list of some of the other locos the KLR owns, but some gaps are still open for me to improvise some stuff.

Number - name - in story description - actual model construction

1. Bulldog - Avonside industrial 0-4-0 side tank - Triang Nellie refurb
  2. Wild Rover - GER S69 4-6-0 rebuilt into an 0-6-0 - Triang LNER B12 bashed into an 0-6-0
  3. Peter - Hudswell Clarke industrial 0-4-0 saddle tank - Hornby 101 / Hornby Caley Pug / some other loco bash (incomplete)
  4. Mastodon - Hudswell Clarke industrial 0-6-0 side tank - Modified Hornby Dublo 0-4-0 starter tank on modified Triang Jinty chassis
  5. Geoffrey Lake - North British Locomotive Company 0-6-0 side tank - Modified Hornby Thomas on Triang Jinty chassis
  6. Wanderer - GWR 14xx 0-4-2 side tank - Airfix GWR 14xx
  7. Undecided
  8. Undecided
  9. Undecided
  10. Undecided
  11. Tom Hickathrift - Modified BR Standard 5MT 4-6-0 with GNR H4 tender - Unbuilt at time of writing
  12. Undecided
  13. Undecided
  14. Renegade - BR Class 04 0-6-0 diesel shunter - Unbuilt at time of writing
  15. Undecided
  16. Edward Bradleigh I - LNER pattern 2-6-0 new build - Unbuilt at time of writing

Any locomotives past No.16 are undecided. 

Also written out what will likely be the first of many KLR stories on the Pre-Grouper's Literary Corner thread.

• Like 4

Following up from the story and list above, here is a concept for one of the locos name-dropped in the story, No.11 Tom Hickathrift. It is, as mentioned, a BR Standard 5MT modified with parts from older LNER locomotives (mostly a V2 and a B1) and the tender from a K3. I couldn't find a side-on image of the Bachmann K3 though so I've left the tender off. The actual engine is also meant to be in KLR green and blue.

post-33750-0-89916500-1523195228_thumb.png

Working on one of No.16 Edward Bradleigh I now.

• Like 7

And the concept for Edward Bradleigh I, one of the main engines in said story. An LNER-style new-build (the model will be made from a mix of shell parts of a Bachmann K3 and a Triang B12, and possibly one of the Fowler-style tender shells from uax6 provided. This is just a basic concept so that those who read the story can get a good idea of what "Eddie" looks like.

post-33750-0-69457400-1523197509_thumb.png

• Like 6

THE KLR WORKSHOPS ARE BACK OPEN! THE CURSE OF PETER IS BROKEN!

Thanks to a tip-off I got (indescribable thanks to OliverSR for telling me about it and Rails of Sheffield for having such reasonable prices) I now have a Dapol L&Y Pug to complete our troublesome, cantankerous No.3.

WATCH THIS SPACE.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yay! a wild and elusive Pug has been captured!  Well done, - and of course we shall await further developments with possibly bated breath and popcorn at the ready.

Yay! a wild and elusive Pug has been captured!  Well done, - and of course we shall await further developments with possibly bated breath and popcorn at the ready.

Good. I've also got bids on a Bachmann K3 on eBay which will be turned into No.16 Edward Bradleigh I (from my first KLR story) so keep an eye out tomorrow to see if I win that.

• Like 3

'urrah and 'ooray!

Glad to see that you got one! I need to begin hunting around Rails of Sheffield more... they have some really overpriced stuff but occasionally they have a bargain that is not to be missed.

'urrah and 'ooray!

Glad to see that you got one! I need to begin hunting around Rails of Sheffield more... they have some really overpriced stuff but occasionally they have a bargain that is not to be missed.

As should I. In amongst the rows of slightly overpriced Hornby Castles and Bachmann 4MT 2-6-4Ts you can find some real steals!

Good. I've also got bids on a Bachmann K3 on eBay which will be turned into No.16 Edward Bradleigh I (from my first KLR story) so keep an eye out tomorrow to see if I win that.

And I now have the K3. Boom. After several weeks of nothing on the loco workbench we get two for the price of one.

So, update:

3. Peter - Hudswell Clarke industrial 0-4-0 saddle tank - Hornby 101 / Hornby Caley Pug / Dapol L&Y Pug bash

16. Edward Bradleigh I - LNER pattern 2-6-0 new build - Bachmann LNER K3 / Triang B12 bash

• Like 3

While I wait for my latest purchases to arrive, I shall begin work on a locomotive that I've had as an idea (inspired by this adorable creation by relaxinghobby) for a while not. Introducing the work-in-progress form of KLR No.7, Gremlin

post-33750-0-98869100-1523467040_thumb.jpg

As for what job this little 0-4-0 (the KLR's third 0-4-0 tank) will do, I'm... not sure. Alnerwick Quarry's on-site locomotive? Alnerwick station's resident shunter? A banker for the Hewe Incline? I'll cross that when I come to it.

• Like 4

The Pug has arrived.

post-33750-0-77906000-1523604487_thumb.jpg

I have it sat next to Bulldog in the photo because I still can't get over just how small it is. Now, I want to make sure I do this right. And I have no instruction sheet, plus I can't find anything online. Could someone please walk me through disassembling it? After all the effort needed to find this thing I do not want to screw this up.

• Like 3