The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Did the earth move for you?

Downendian

I was in San Francisco the week before the big earthquake in October 1989. 

I was in the South Bay at the time, in Milpitas I think.

Frankly, it was terrifying - in a hotel ballroom surrounded by glass light fixtures exploding as they hit the floor sending shards of glass everywhere, wondering all the while if the the floors above will follow the light fixtures.

Living in California for five years or so, I experienced many earthquakes, and some here in the Northwest as well, but the 1989 Loma Prieta quake was the worst by far. I have a colleague who lives near the epicenter. He wasn't home at the time, but his wife was. She was literally thrown around by the walls of her house. 

One day we will experience an event here like the Fukushima earthquake and tsunami of 2011 - comparable geological forces are at work here. I hope that day is still far off. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Not that one, the only one I've ever felt was the Dudley one several years back, which was very noticable in Manchester. It wasn't big enough to be anything more than interesting (my brother, a geologist, was rather jealous that I'd felt an earthquake, even a small one).