The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Did the earth move for you?

Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Sat quietly at home and around 45 minutes ago, heard a low rumble and thought something had fallen over in the garage as a few things started vibrating,

Lo and behold an Earthquake has been reported at 4.7 magnitude today at 10Km depth off Swansea.

Second time I’ve felt an earthquake, first was in Vienna about 20 years ago.

Neil

Sat quietly at home and around 45 minutes ago, heard a low rumble and thought something had fallen over in the garage as a few things started vibrating,

Lo and behold an Earthquake has been reported at 4.7 magnitude today at 10Km depth off Swansea.

Second time I’ve felt an earthquake, first was in Vienna about 20 years ago.

Neil

We've had a couple in Folkestone since moving here; the first one caused quite a bit of damage around the older parts of town, with chimney pots, and even stacks, falling on to the streets. Here is a BBC News item from the time:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6602677.stm We're about five miles out of town, and didn't really notice anything; my wife thought I'd fallen downstairs..

The  quakes down here have been attributed to 'Iso-static Rebound' (or Isostatic readjustment), where the land is slowly reacting to the melting of the ice-floes after the last glaciation. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bristol Channel ones being due to similar causes. 

Felt here in Fairbourne, the third such tremor I've felt since I moved here 12 years ago and the fourth notable shake in my life. Seems to have had the usual apathetic impact on the locals in the village though, judging by social media.

I suspect the fact we are built on reclaimed former tidal marsh might mean any tremors of this nature are more notable than on more solid ground, but relatives in the Midlands did also feel it.

Wales experiences a surprising number of shakes, although fortunately nothing like recent quakes in Mexico and elsewhere, so whilst it's a bit of fun for us here in the UK we do need to keep a sense of proportion I suppose.

About ten years ago, we woke up in the middle of the night, because everything in the bathroom cabinet was noisily dancing a jig, and all the clothes in the wardrobe were joining-in.

Weird experience, and it took a good few seconds to realise that it was an earthquake, in Middle England. I think that one was centred in Lincolnshire, but we are a blooming long way from there!

After a late lunch, I was sitting dozing in the sunshine in my living room about that time, sort of listening to the radio, and was suddenly woken by something - I did wonder what it was, now I know. I'm north of Bristol, and they've since mentioned it on our local radio during the sports programme this afternoon.

Yes, I felt it here in Nailsea. I was sitting on the sofa which seemed to move underneath me, the walls made a creaking noise and there was a sound outside which was similar to distant thunder. 

I had a strange feeling of foreboding, as if something bad was about to happen (mind you that may be just my mental state and nothing to do with seismic events). 

• RMweb Gold

Yes, felt it in Worcestershire too.  I was up in the loft.  Just a noise and a gentle vibration but definitely something you could feel through the building.

Nothing like the Dudley one a few years back though which was definitely a peculiar thing to experience.

I was in San Francisco the week before the big earthquake in October 1989. We were staying at the Holiday Inn in the centre of town, fairly high up. I noticed and remarked a couple of times that "This building is shaking slightly" during our stay. hardly noticeable, but there seemed to be minute movements now and again. I wasn't over bothered till we came home a week later and the big one occurred. frightening thing was the bridge and freeways that collapsed we were driving over days ago. The Hotel together with most modern structures seemed not to be damaged - I don't really know as this was all pre internet (for me at least).

There seems to be trouble brewing around the ring of fire around the pacific, and California (along with many other places) live with the threat of another big one day to day. Perhaps we are very lucky here in the UK with our comparingly minor events.

Brit15

• Like 1