Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

No.20 'Jubilee' newly painted in Ultramarine blue leaving Foxhollow with the daily boat train.  With the withdrawal of the maid of all work 'Sharpie' 0-6-2T's the Eastlingwold's No.20 is being tried out on the faster passenger services on the old B&FER mainline.  The daily boat train was as far as the B&FER was concerned their prestige express service and always had a West Norfolk tri-composite and luggage van as a part of its formation.  The rest of the train was made up of four teak B&FER luggage composites and a teak B&FER passenger luggage van.

Having made a 'Queen' Class engine spec for Steve Flanders I'm presently seeing about modifying it to suit my Beyer Peacock single driver locomotives.  I'm also going to mod and update their smoke and steam animation files as well.  It's difficult to find a good workable engine spec for single driver locomotives in Trainz and most end up running about something intended for a 4-4-0 which really isn't suitable at all.

qL0hnNF.jpg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Earth has not anything to show more fair.

Beautiful scene, stunning loco.

Particularly like that signal box!

Thanks very much James.  With messing around with other projects as well as not being well I'd been neglecting my Norfolk layout so it was really nice to be able visit again.  Foxhollow is pretty much complete around the station area and yards now and I have to agree that the view from the level crossing back towards the station is an appealing one.  When I started on Foxhollow I wondered what I'd set myself up for with not only the main station with its five platforms, and the wharf station as well making for some fairly complicated trackwork, but it all came together in the end and ended up matching the image I had in my mind's eye.  There's still work to do with finishing off the town to my satisfaction and the surrounding farmland and countryside is still a bit sketched out in places, but I can potter on with that.

By the way the very nice signal box is based on the NER signal box at Bowes and I've got four of them as a standard type on the Foxhollow section.

No.20 as my test Beyer-Peacock is working out well.  Its performance with the saturated steam engine spec I wrote for Steve Flanders's 'Queen' class is much improved over the generic one it had before.  No.20 is running much more like a single driver should now instead of mimicking a four coupled engine.  The boat train from Foxhollow wharf always includes a WNR luggage tri-composite and a WNR passenger luggage van as once it disappears into the mysterious West beyond Moxbury the boat train makes contact with WNR metals at the outer limits of its journey.   On its return it's luggage van will be well laden with Lavender biscuits.

Approaching Mirely St. Marys.  The boat train seems to have acquired a LNWR picnic saloon.

KBwO2Dq.jpg

At Mirely St. Marys station.

K7xHHdF.jpg

At Brenton Wood.

4mJFeRv.jpg

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NeilHB said:

We really could do with a drool reaction button for when Annie posts photos of these lovely BP Singles - delightful! 

Thank you very kindly Neil.

MXDXRai.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

With my daughter's able assistance the monster old Xeon dual processor server that I used to use for Trainz is back in commission.  I stopped using it when Windows 7 hit the buffers and was no longer supported by Microsoft, but despite the naysayers we were able to get it to run under Windows 10.  It's performance isn't as good unfortunately as it was under Windows 7, but it might be possible to cut some of the bloat out of Windows 10 to help it along.

The seven year old i5 powered CoolerMaster computer I have been using up until now has been struggling with just about everything I want to do and due to its aging architecture it's not possible to upgrade it any further.  With the Xeon I was able to fit a much better graphics card than the CoolerMaster could ever manage which should make for nicer surroundings when playing trains as well as improve things a lot when I'm doing texture work.

This is a snap I took in an early version of TS2019 that was still installed on one of the Xeon's hard drives.  The layout is from TS2004 days and is based on the K&ESR and I've always loved it for its Summer days appearance.  The mid 19th century 2-4-0ST just happened to be on the layout for some reason so I nabbed it to have a little explore along the line.

tQN8yyJ.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, CKPR said:

I don't know if it's just me but the last screen shot looks much more 'painterly' than previously with almost a 1930s-1950s neo-romantic vibe to it. 

That's the difference between an almost ten year old Nvidia GTX650 Ti  graphics card with 1Gb video RAM and a 2019 Nvidia GTX 1650 graphic card with 4Gb video RAM.  Last year a computer shop was having a clearout of old stock to make way for the latest offerings and I got the GTX 1650 at a 35% discount.

Everything is looking so much better now even this webpage is rendered much more nicely than it was before.

Edited by Annie
fumble brain
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Playing trains important and serious testing being undertaken on my Lickey bank layout.  After fitting another hard drive to my Xeon computer and doing the Windows update thing 'Deeper Thought' (my Xeon computer) spent ages shuffling 0's and 1's about and frowning at files and folders so it was useless trying to do very much while all that was going on.  Once all that was done with though it was time to do some proper playing about serious testing to make sure all is well.  Even though 'Deeper Thought' is considered to be obsolete for intrepid server type work it still has eight processor cores it can lean into any task which works out just fine for its present role as a desktop computer.  A somewhat heavy and very well built desktop computer which makes it a bit of a mission to move it about.  I was told once that when they scrap old battleships they use the steel plates to make the cases for Xeon computers.  Perhaps I exaggerate, but compared to the average computer made from recycled plywood, tinfoil and plastic bottle tops you can buy down your local high street an enterprise grade Xeon computer is very much the real deal.

o7dbyn2.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A Very Late Afternoon Cheer Up Picture (coz I fell asleep):   I like Metro Tanks, - here's a snap of No. 3586 taken in 1898.  The drawing is by J N Maskelyne if you haven't guessed that already.

(Photo shamelessly borrowed from Didcot Railway Centre)

Ak1EndD.jpg

dmlGorQ.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I completely agree, the Metros were lovely locos, especially in that condition. 

The virtual images are very evocative, finally the penny is dropping for me! 😃

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Oscillation of this parish very kindly pointed out the whereabouts of this LNWR 'Bloomer' to me.  Of all the strange places it could be found it was on a Thomas the Tank Engine Trainz website.  It's a surprisingly accurate model complete with animated valve gear which makes it even more of a mystery.  I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet so I'll put it with my other 19th century Trainz models until inspiration strikes.

0AydhrS.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Annie said:

LNWR 'Bloomer' [...].  I'm not sure what I'll do with it yet so I'll put it with my other 19th century Trainz models until inspiration strikes.

Have it painted Southern Division middle chrome green (the same colour as Northern Division middle chrome green) rather than that mythical red?

Looking at the Claughton video, I found myself asking what incantations would be required to get the vans to pitch, yaw, and roll?

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Have it painted Southern Division middle chrome green (the same colour as Northern Division middle chrome green) rather than that mythical red?

Looking at the Claughton video, I found myself asking what incantations would be required to get the vans to pitch, yaw, and roll?

I haven't really had a look at how the texturing is done yet Stephen, but if it's possible to do it I might give it a try.

There was a software tool available at one time which could setup swaying type of effects with rolling stock.  It would be interesting to hunt it out and have a play with it.

Any excuse to drag this very nice illustration out again.

M7WrGkW.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Annie said:

There was a software tool available at one time which could setup swaying type of effects with rolling stock.  It would be interesting to hunt it out and have a play with it.

http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/home/utilities/pevsoft-trainz-tools/train-swayer-utility

This might possibly be it! I used it all the time in my Trainz 12 days, the only downside was with certain bogies, including trains, tenders or rolling stock the wheels would vanish, but it did make the trains feel a bit more special! :) 

Edited by Oscillation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Oscillation said:

http://trainz.shaneturner.co.uk/tutorials/index.php/home/utilities/pevsoft-trainz-tools/train-swayer-utility

This might possibly be it! I used it all the time in my Trainz 12 days, the only downside was with certain bogies, including trains, tenders or rolling stock the wheels would vanish, but it did make the trains feel a bit more special! :) 

Yes that's it.  I think I gave it a try as well with something I was doing when I was still using TS2012.

• RMweb Gold

In order to answer your question of why it appeared on the Thomas Trainz list, it's based on the Rev Awdry's model Bloomer which on display in the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at Tywyn. It transpired at the 'History of Sodor's Railways' lecture last year (at the Awdry 100 Celebrations at the Talyllyn) that the Rev had intended 'Bloomer' to be canon (around the 35min mark): 

• Thanks 1

42144ADA-104E-4005-8142-96113DEE5447.jpeg.da7931bda0cf8843ee1fc07baa4109aa.jpegCD8F7921-FB46-441C-8637-30B90B6A6DEC.jpeg.d012d53e3b4f06d8083c3d35387ec748.jpeg

I hope nobody minds this post, Annie especially, but another discovery and possibly a contender for your collection Annie!

(Neither pictures are mine)

A discovery of what was in the post claimed to be a very highly detailed Der Adler(WIP apparently stated along with rolling stock) and another, not quite as detailed, but still a very special find model!

https://www.trainz.de/search-result/32535/?highlight=Der+Adler

While the locomotive and rolling stock aren’t the most detailed, it is still a great, and for me new find for an era of Trainz that can be a little hit and miss for content.

I haven’t downloaded it myself so I’m not sure if you’ll run into trouble.

She is technically German, but British built so hopefully shouldn’t look too out of place in her birth country!

Edited by Oscillation
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, NeilHB said:

In order to answer your question of why it appeared on the Thomas Trainz list, it's based on the Rev Awdry's model Bloomer which on display in the Narrow Gauge Railway Museum at Tywyn. It transpired at the 'History of Sodor's Railways' lecture last year (at the Awdry 100 Celebrations at the Talyllyn) that the Rev had intended 'Bloomer' to be canon (around the 35min mark): 

Well that explains that then.  Thank you very much Neil for clearing that up for me.  Without that context it seemed to be such an odd choice for Sodor enthusiasts to make. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Oscillation said:

42144ADA-104E-4005-8142-96113DEE5447.jpeg.da7931bda0cf8843ee1fc07baa4109aa.jpegCD8F7921-FB46-441C-8637-30B90B6A6DEC.jpeg.d012d53e3b4f06d8083c3d35387ec748.jpeg

I hope nobody minds this post, Annie especially, but another discovery and possibly a contender for your collection Annie!

(Neither pictures are mine)

A discovery of what was in the post claimed to be a very highly detailed Der Adler(WIP apparently stated along with rolling stock) and another, not quite as detailed, but still a very special find model!

https://www.trainz.de/search-result/32535/?highlight=Der+Adler

While the locomotive and rolling stock aren’t the most detailed, it is still a great, and for me new find for an era of Trainz that can be a little hit and miss for content.

I haven’t downloaded it myself so I’m not sure if you’ll run into trouble.

She is technically German, but British built so hopefully shouldn’t look too out of place in her birth country!

It's certainly something for me to think about and thanks for the pictures and the link to Trainz DE.  I'm a little reluctant to sign up for yet another forum/website when it takes me all my time to keep up with what's happening on RMWeb due to my health issues at the moment, but it's something to consider in the future.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Night Time Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture:  Because you've all been very good here's a picture of 'Swallow' in colour. 

(Colourisation by Adrian Knowles) 

Qc2uX8z.jpg

• Like 12