Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

A spot of fun.  This is a Nielson Box Tank made by one of the Sudrian creator groups for Trainz.  It needed some messing about with to get it to work properly in TANE, but once that was done it proved itself to be a sweet running little engine indeed.

EJ9kLiU.jpg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

11 hours ago, Annie said:

Afternoon Cheer Up Catalogue Image:

jw8p2n2.jpg

I deplore this unwonted frivolity on Mrs Hudson's part.

2 hours ago, Annie said:

A spot of fun.  This is a Nielson Box Tank made by one of the Sudrian creator groups for Trainz.  It needed some messing about with to get it to work properly in TANE, but once that was done it proved itself to be a sweet running little engine indeed.

EJ9kLiU.jpg

😊

image.png.9970cf3ad57e240b3eaea8854d11467f.png

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Late Afternoon Cheer Up Poster:  Courtesy London Transport Museum.  Artist, Gladys Mary Rees 1920.

O3XdHfN.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 6

Anyone fancy a spot if geolocation before I post the caption (which is detailed and I have no reason to doubt)?

'Far West' rather depends on one's starting point, but I wouldn't say this qualifies.

Side question: is it preferable to drip-feed images from this collection, or dump them?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Newton Abbot

Ah, Midland territory. (The Midland held South Devon shares of face value £75,000 - about 6.8% of the original authorised capital - that came to it from the Bristol & Gloucester. In the Reports and Accounts for the half-year ending 30 June 1890, this is still shown as "South Devon Railway" under the heading "Subscriptions to other Railways" although by this time I presume it was actually held as Great Western stock.)

The drawback with otherwise fascinating broad gauge photos is that there are never any Midland wagons lurking in the background.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Schooner said:

Anyone fancy a spot if geolocation before I post the caption (which is detailed and I have no reason to doubt)?

Round about 1889 at Newton Abbott and the engine is 'Wood' of the 'Hawthorn' class.

Plymouth_-_Hawthorn_Class_broad_gauge_lo

Here seen at Millbay station in Plymouth 1890. (Image courtesy of Wikipedia)

Edited by Annie
No 'e' on Hawthorn
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Annie said:

the engine is 'Wood' of the 'Hawthorne' class.

That just seems wrong to me. Surely it should be 'Hawthorn' of the 'Wood' class (with allowance for Swindon's dodgy spelling)?

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Accord to Wikipedia*, the class name was spelled 'Hawthorn', the some of names being those of various people in the locomotive building business, such as (Charles) Beyer, (Richard) Peacock, and (Edward) Slaughter, the latter being one of the partners in the firm of Stothert, Slaughter & Co., which built these engines for the Great Western. However, that firm had just taken advantage of the Companies Act to become the Avonside Engine Co. Ltd., so the name 'Slaughter' was quickly changed to 'Avonside'. Presumably an engine named 'Slaughter' was not thought good for passenger confidence.

*Not to be confused with Kiwipedia, an online resource for flightless birds.

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Annie said:

Round about 1889 at Newton Abbott and the engine is 'Wood' of the 'Hawthorn' class.

Plymouth_-_Hawthorn_Class_broad_gauge_lo

Here seen at Millbay station in Plymouth 1890. (Image courtesy of Wikipedia)

Very handsome and well-proportioned

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Very handsome and well-proportioned

That's me!

Well, no. But the locomotive and I no doubt share the characteristics of being too wide and running out of puff. 

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

This morning I decided to play trains for a nice cheer up.  I'd daringly upgraded my copy of TRS22 to the latest version and i wanted to see if it was working properly.  Needless to say I did a complete backup of all files before I did the upgrade as I've been bitten before with N3V and their so-called 'upgrade' patches.

'Sharpie' 2-4-2T No.065 heading south with the motor train set.

JJBmSfs.jpg

My faux GER steam railmotor and trailer heading towards Moxbury with the passenger service to Barrow Hills and Great Marsh.  I did take a snap under the train roof at Moxbury, but it didn't turn out very well.

zIQkI6C.jpg

8Dwaa8b.jpg

And approaching the junction at Barrow Hills.

d6dhlkn.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Just to check that everything was working properly I did some shunting at Elgar Junction.  With the time period for the TRS22 version of the layout moved on a bit from the TANE version my GCR 9F's are now painted black instead of MS&LR green.  Their role now is trip working and shunting along the Joint Line, - something that they do very well.  I have three of them altogether and they are older models by Cameron Scott. 

Ytwhzd6.jpg

fuQujog.jpg

5fCuAHc.jpg

cAlmIl1.jpg

• Like 9

I thought perhaps reference #6 could be posted here, hope that's alright?

torre_station_01_large.jpg

Is it me, or is there always a staunch fellow in a soft hat and open jacket striking that pose in these photos? (Leaning against RH buffer). 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Schooner said:

Is it me, or is there always a staunch fellow in a soft hat and open jacket striking that pose in these photos? (Leaning against RH buffer). 

Torres station 1865 with apparently all the station staff (28?) gathered together for the photo.  The fellow you've pointed out does seem to be somewhat of a contrast to the rest of the staff in the photo.

XE9FWm6.jpg

• Like 5