Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium

I handn't noticed the price before: coloured 4/-, uncoloured 3/-. That's about £20 for the coloured version in modern money but much more expensive relative to typical disposable income at the time. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

I handn't noticed the price before: coloured 4/-, uncoloured 3/-. That's about £20 for the coloured version in modern money but much more expensive relative to typical disposable income at the time. 

And that is more than likely the reason why 19th century OS maps are so much better than the sad looking things produced in the 20th century.  4 bob maps are the creme de la creme.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

Torre station, it looks like a “Just stop oil” protest to me, the way they’re sitting all over the track.

Or maybe they're protesting against conversion to standard gauge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

The high cost of the coloured maps, possibly is in consideration of the fact that they were coloured in by hand.

https://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch-england-and-wales/info2.html

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, rocor said:

The high cost of the coloured maps, possibly is in consideration of the fact that they were coloured in by hand.

So 1/- per sheet is the hand colouring cost (plus margin) while 3/- covers all other costs. Would income from map sales be expected to cover surveying costs to, or was that treated as a military necessity paid for from public funds, or even a Government obligation?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I've been playing trains in the latest version of the GCR22 mainline project by Peter Findley.  I've been mostly hanging about playing trainspotter at Aylesbury as a way to entertain myself while I've been feeling a bit under the weather.

Peter has provided a blank session for the latest V3 version for TRS22 and with Verney Junction now connected in to the GCR-MET Joint Line I could have all kinds of fun.

JfCNKLT.jpg

bzJbR2h.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it might rain.  I didn't feel all that well yesterday evening so I played trains for awhile along the Hopewood Tramway to cheer myself up.

mSaMWTJ.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I wanted to have a quiet day today so I worked on writing some of the schedules for the passenger services on the joint line.  This is the earlier version of my Norfolk layout in TANE set in the very early months of the GER take over of the Affiliated (Imaginary) Railway Companies.  Basically this version lets me run a lot of my older engines that have problems in TRS22.  The TRS22 version of my Norfolk layout exists mainly to run Ed Heaps's wonderful locomotives including of course his GER engines.

Sometime last year I started on replacing the obsolete type of trackwork I'd originally used on the joint line back in TS2012.  I'd also shifted a sizeable chunk of the old Barrow Hills & Foxhollow Extension Railway over to a new site and quite a bit of the trackwork for that hasn't been finished off yet.  I'm going to carry on with it over the weekend and see if I can get the joint line past Breton Wood and on through to Mirely St Marys relayed with new track and the connection to the new BH&FER junction properly finished off.  Once that's done trains will be able to run properly again which will be very nice.

5UOZgHw.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

It's been too long since I had a wander around at Grimwold and the mineral branchline.

oXAJnnN.jpg

The PWD gang have arrived at Bleakhorse Road to carry on with setting the track to rights.

KjV85lN.jpg

zWKYX9P.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 9

On 30/05/2023 at 13:29, Annie said:

I've been playing trains in the latest version of the GCR22 mainline project by Peter Findley.  I've been mostly hanging about playing trainspotter at Aylesbury as a way to entertain myself while I've been feeling a bit under the weather.

Peter has provided a blank session for the latest V3 version for TRS22 and with Verney Junction now connected in to the GCR-MET Joint Line I could have all kinds of fun.

JfCNKLT.jpg

bzJbR2h.jpg

That pair would frighten your usual locos, and the liveries....

They'd be looking over their shoulders for oil-fired locomotives!

And I don't mean this

image.png.3e054d61f13e117ce7c0cf4e61f00087.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Hroth said:

That pair would frighten your usual locos, and the liveries....

They'd be looking over their shoulders for oil-fired locomotives!

And I don't mean this

image.png.3e054d61f13e117ce7c0cf4e61f00087.png

True enough.  The early BR era GCR mainline is a bit more intrepid than I'm used to, but at least Peter Findley isn't fond of diesels so there aren't any.  Peter has been working on his GCR project to replicate the entire Great Central mainline since 2012 and I've seen it develop over time from small beginnings to what it is now.  It's not exactly my chosen era, but it's certainly interesting to visit to see what Peter has done since his last project update.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having an awkward time of it again with my brain switching off for two or three hours at a time and putting me to sleep so I dare not try doing any tidying up or sorting of things.  In between I did manage to sort out a temporary schedule using the small yard at Watchman's Bridge down the line from Mirely St Marys as a temporary fiddle yard.  I'm using a new and very cleverly made script instruction that's able to teleport a train back to it's starting position after having made its run.  Something in the order of a virtual cassette I suppose, but it does mean that in some situations where I would normally have to construct a large sized fan of return loops that would be difficult to disguise a few simple sidings will do instead.

MS&LR 9F No.535 heading south west from Brenton Wood.  It is nice to see MS&LR green and the dark oak and French grey coach livery again.

rOktyi4.jpg

No.535 at Mirely St Marys.  I asked the guard what was in the parcels van and he just tapped the side of his nose and gave me a wink leaving me none the wiser.

I've turned shadows back on again in TANE and here you can see the difference between TANE and TRS22.  TANE has softer and more natural looking shadows where TRS22 (and TRS19) have the kind of stark hard shadows you'd see (briefly) after the sun had gone supernova.

7MJA6CM.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

An afternoon for small victories.  I was able to get the final adjustments and config file edits for my faux GER Steam Railmotor and Driving Trailer (version 4) done and dusted.  I sent it off to the DLS and it was approved as being fit for purpose so that was a real cheer up for me.  N3V have tightened up the hoops and jumps any digital model has to pass through to be accepted and after my 5ft 6in ex-LNWR tank engine was turned down I was worried that the same thing might happen to the Steam Railmotor.  I think the difference is that my Steam Railmotor doesn't use any magic scripts as i decided to keep its specs fairly simple.  The ex-LNWR tank engine does have magic scripted things and one or two lines of incantations in its scripts are apparently now deemed to be unholy in the sight of the Almighty.

sSjzbrg.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening 'Not Sure If This Is A Cheer Up' Railway Poster:  I don't know if this was a positive way to encourage people to use the Underground or not.

kylPlMO.jpg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Annie said:

Evening 'Not Sure If This Is A Cheer Up' Railway Poster:  I don't know if this was a positive way to encourage people to use the Underground or not.

kylPlMO.jpg

It could be worse, the poster might be titled "The Dead Mans Handle"...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A return to working on the ex-LNWR 5ft 6in tank engines again.  There were a number of issues with scripting errors with these engines that had been deemed to be no longer acceptable for any models uploaded to the DLS.  I was more than a little disappointed over this and basically gave up, but now I'd like to get them properly sorted out so that others can enjoy them.

No. 46616 is seen here on neville_hill's wonderfully realised Mold & Denbigh branch.  This layout was one of the main reasons why I overhauled these older tank engine models and it would be really good to get them sorted out at last.

O8MjSPr.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Annie said:

A return to working on the ex-LNWR 5ft 6in tank engines again.  There were a number of issues with scripting errors with these engines that had been deemed to be no longer acceptable for any models uploaded to the DLS.  I was more than a little disappointed over this and basically gave up, but now I'd like to get them properly sorted out so that others can enjoy them.

16 mesh material conflicts fixed before breakfast, - go me!

But can I do something about those faulty scripts?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I always worry that my silly little 3 rail version of 'Minories' isn't worthy of Ed Heaps's magnificent models.

guFajyv.jpg

2YtIIAH.jpg

Gh0ogKw.jpg

Edited by Annie
Silly error with identifying engines
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

4 hours ago, Annie said:

I always worry that my silly little 3 rail version of 'Minories' isn't worthy of Ed Heaps's magnificent models.

Don't, your Minories is a perfect foil to the magnificent models.

BTW, the ballast effect is identical to the granite effect paint I suggested to go under the Wrenn (etc) track for your narrow gauge adventure. It works well!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Schooner said:

No need. The combination is simply glorious and a much-needed reason to smile this morning. Thank you :)

12 hours ago, Hroth said:

Don't, your Minories is a perfect foil to the magnificent models.

BTW, the ballast effect is identical to the granite effect paint I suggested to go under the Wrenn (etc) track for your narrow gauge adventure. It works well!

Thank you very much for your kind comments.  I was having a difficult time with being sleepy and brain fogged yesterday so I was feeling a bit on the glum side and having negative thoughts.

And yes the method you suggested for my Wrenn track is very much the same as what I have at 'Minories' and should work well.

(From the London Transport collection)

wLRgnky.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Annie said:

(From the London Transport collection)

wLRgnky.jpg

What a well dressed crowd!

The UndergrounD passenger profile has certainly changed over the past century...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

What a well dressed crowd!

The UndergrounD passenger profile has certainly changed over the past century...

Presumably their servants are following behind with the mandatory carried dogs, required in order to utilise the escalators. 

image.png.11218a782dcbda00e0d10db823bb1712.png

• Like 7