Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Some lovely work, as usual.

Please don't take this as a criticism.  Is that signal too close to the track, or is it a perspective thing ?

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.  And yes the signal is too close to the track.  For some reason the set distance to the track centreline has been measured incorrectly.  It would be fine for standard gauge, but it's too close for the Broad Gauge.  I've had to edit the distance in the config files on some of the other signals and it looks like I'll have to do this one too.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

One of my 'possibly could have been' Broad Gauge E.B. Wilson well tanks at Dunster.  I paid for these well tanks to be specially modified for me from a standard gauge model, - only they turned out to have three small errors, - which while they aren't blindingly obvious are a bit on the disappointing side.  This is why I'd love to be able to make my own digital models.  That way if there are mistakes at least they would be my own.  I'd love to have a go at one of the Severn & Wye's Fletcher Jennings Broad Gauge 0-6-0T's.

Despite everything I like my 'what-if' E.B. Wilson well tanks and they do run well and are generally useful.  Edit:  I figured out how to reset the environmental lighting so the pictures of Dunster look better now.

EN0NSwH.jpg

Looking towards Blue Anchor.

YB2fUli.jpg

Edited by Annie
more to say
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture:  Neilson Box Tank from circa the 1860s.  It's history is very confused, but this photo is known to have been taken by a German enthusiast at Ponta Delgada harbour in the Azores.  Possibly suggested that it was originally built for the Holyhead Breakwater.  Whatever it's history I wouldn't mind owning a model of it.

u3gnoqp.jpg

rlPNKX7.jpg

• Like 10

On 22/02/2024 at 03:20, Annie said:

One of my 'possibly could have been' Broad Gauge E.B. Wilson well tanks at Dunster.  I paid for these well tanks to be specially modified for me from a standard gauge model, - only they turned out to have three small errors, - which while they aren't blindingly obvious are a bit on the disappointing side.  This is why I'd love to be able to make my own digital models.  That way if there are mistakes at least they would be my own.  I'd love to have a go at one of the Severn & Wye's Fletcher Jennings Broad Gauge 0-6-0T's.

Despite everything I like my 'what-if' E.B. Wilson well tanks and they do run well and are generally useful.  Edit:  I figured out how to reset the environmental lighting so the pictures of Dunster look better now.

EN0NSwH.jpg

Looking towards Blue Anchor.

YB2fUli.jpg

Adorable

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Adorable

Thanks very much James.  As 'what-if' Broad Gauge engines they are entirely plausible in that E.B. Wilson could have built well tanks just like these if someone had paid them to do it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2024 at 18:43, Annie said:

I wonder what the special occasion for the photos was?  There's plenty of station staff lined up watching in the background and a fitter repairing point rodding being supervised by a bowler hat wearing foreman in the foreground.  Photos of Broad Gauge stations that haven't been messed about with are rare, - so I was glad to find this one.

No hi-viz or bowler hats in those days 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Annie said:

Afternoon Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture:  Neilson Box Tank from circa the 1860s.  It's history is very confused, but this photo is known to have been taken by a German enthusiast at Ponta Delgada harbour in the Azores.  Possibly suggested that it was originally built for the Holyhead Breakwater.  Whatever it's history I wouldn't mind owning a model of it.

u3gnoqp.jpg

rlPNKX7.jpg

Loco crews didn’t get much in the way of creature comforts in those days!

A Collett cab would seem like unbridled luxury by comparison.

But you try telling kids of today that and they won’t believe you…🙂

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

No hi-viz or bowler hats in those days 

A question for hat experts then.  Is the hat the foreman in the photo is wearing a bowler hat, - or is it some other species of hat?

eyEJDkC.png

• RMweb Premium

IANA(H)E, but I think 'bowler' would be a fair description - they seem to vary somewhat in shape (height, radius of the domed crown, brim...):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowler_hat

Certainly commonly worn by working class people in the later part of the 19th century, according to the wikipedia article.

Nick.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Dunster again.  I'll more than likely come back and do some more here as I want to sort out the roads properly and put in the missing drainage ditches.  There's the farm buildings at either end of Station Road that could do with being improved as well.  The extra 20th century buildings that shouldn't be there are starting to annoy me so they will be going fairly soon.

The trackwork out to Blue Anchor needs levelling and adjusting, but apart from setting the track clearances in relation to station platform Blue Anchor doesn't need much doing to it since the whole area got a major overhaul a couple of years ago when all the 20th century buildings and trackwork were removed.

7DL3eSP.jpg

lOYH5NM.jpg

aj5cSPM.jpg

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 6

Bowlers hats ...

image.png.e5203edc9c81c7abd664dfed7fe10cf2.png

When I served, I attended the annual Cavalry Memorial day in Hyde Park. We were expected to wear officers' out of uniform 'uniform' for such ocasions, a dark suit, regimental tie, rolled umbrella and bowler hat. It did not go down well when, seeing brother officers converging on the Park from various directions, Yours Truly exclaimed "bloody Hell, it's an Avengers convention!!"

image.png.5fb0d05357c4f122dd75cd87ba3ee4ee.png

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2
  • Funny 7

Long time no see.  I started a catch-up somewhere in August,  and life is too short today to run all through and get myself up to date.  I was very taken by "semi-itinerant shrubs".  It's a nice concept.  but I' don't think we have tumbleweed in East Anglia....

auldreekie

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, auldreekie said:

Long time no see.  I started a catch-up somewhere in August,  and life is too short today to run all through and get myself up to date.  I was very taken by "semi-itinerant shrubs".  It's a nice concept.  but I' don't think we have tumbleweed in East Anglia....

auldreekie

Hello, long time no see indeed.  Narcolepsy and recovery from LongCOVID mean that I don't get around the internet so much as I used to.  As you see I am still working on digital railway projects, but I've slowed down a bit now and I'm spending time on improving my older projects rather than running off and starting something new.

Oh yes the "semi-itinerant shrubs".  Patch updates and code changes to the Trainz software will cause things to shift and I've particularly noticed it with some vegetation models.  That's why I now tend to use the stable Trainz versions that are no longer receiving updates since it avoids a lot of problems.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I took some snaps of Blue Anchor as a record before I started work on doing anything to it.  I'm going to change the signal box for a model of the one from Helston as it's the earliest representation of a GWR signal box I have.

I've always found the emptiness of the 19th century coastal landscape between Minehead and Blue Anchor to be very appealing.

NFvAWZK.jpg

qZEORZR.jpg

The original TS2004 layout had no representation of the road to the Blue Anchor tavern, the tavern itself, or the nearby farm buildings so I added those using the 1880s OS map as a general guide.  As a background piece it's not normally seen from this viewpoint.

pyaBPiU.jpg

The NLS site seemed to be wanting to be not very cooperative, but as you can see it wouldn't have been much help anyway since Blue Anchor is spread over four different maps.

The 1900 OS 6 inch to the mile maps are better than a poke in the eye.

ms53A5i.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Not very much has happened over the past couple of days due to me having medical appointments.  Nothing dire, - in fact good news in that I seem to be getting past the effects of LongCOVID after putting up with it for close on a year and nine months.

I'd been a little puzzled over Blue Anchor and why I'd left off a wood lot, a stream and a bridge, a small brickworks and a hotel when I last worked on it almost two years ago.  The simple answer is that after checking against the OS map I discovered that this part of the layout had been compressed length ways so there simply wasn't any room for them.  I managed to put in Pill Copse and the Blue Anchor tavern and some of the nearby buildings, but after that there wasn't any room for anything else without making it all look impossibly crowded.  So I sorted the track alignment, changed the signal box and the signals and that was pretty much that.

JhFu83I.jpg 

M81O4ry.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Minehead station in Broad Gauge times.  I've frowned over this photo on many occasions and no matter how I look at it the track looks like it's cross sleepered and not baulk road track.  I have got some cross sleeped Broad Gauge track of much the same age as the track I'm presently using.  It's not perfect in its details, but overall no worse than what I'm using.  I'm sorely tempted to make use of it instead of the baulk road track.

GLhTvIP.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Annie said:

Minehead station in Broad Gauge times.  I've frowned over this photo on many occasions and no matter how I look at it the track looks like it's cross sleepered and not baulk road track. 

Was baulk road used for new works in the early 1870s? I'd have thought by then the advantages of conventional cross sleepered track would have been well-understood and it was probably cheaper too. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Was baulk road used for new works in the early 1870s? I'd have thought by then the advantages of conventional cross sleepered track would have been well-understood and it was probably cheaper too. 

It seems likely Stephen.  Looking at the photo with a magnifying glass I can something that looks like an early  variety of flat bottomed rail with spikes going into cross sleepers.  I can see fishplates as well.  With Minehead station being opened in 1874 after the line was extended from Watchet I would imagine that the section between Minehead and Watchet would have cross sleeped track at least.  I know from photos taken at Watchet that the baulk road definitely went that far, - so I'll run the cross sleepered track out to Watchet from Minehead and reassess which variety of baulk road track I want to use after that. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Well that's gone and done it.  This Broad Gauge cross sleepered track is the magic procedural kind that does moveable point blades with proper check rails and frogs, - I didn't know that when I chose it, but I'm not complaining about it.  This means that I'm going to have to level and adjust the track all over again, but I don't mind that much since the final result will be worth it.

The signal box will be getting properly furnished some time soon.  The job is on the list to be done.

(Picture snapped in Trainz Surveyor)

qJeBH7W.jpg

Edited by Annie
Um.........
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Sorry!

No it's fine.  It might mean a bit more work with checking and adjusting the track alignment all the way through to Watchet, but having the right kind of track more than makes up for it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

19th Century GWR Morning Cheer Up Picture:  Shamelessly borrowed from the Didcot Railway Centre.  Shunting at Castle Hill (later called West Ealing station).

So much in the way of interesting details, - and look at those wonderful signals!

fvsAp2L.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Annie said:

and look at those wonderful signals!

And why are the ones for the down direction apparently all off, when the shunting move is straddling all four running lines?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2