Annie's Virtual Pre-Grouping, Grouping and BR Layouts & Workbench

46 minutes ago, Annie said:

I would love to have a model of No.58 made for the Trainz simulator.

Very understandable - a very pretty design and rather like a mini-version of the big 4-2-4 well tanks.  If you keep posting photos like these, I shall be severely tempted to try some 3D modelling myself 🙂

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Two older B&ER models by Steve Flanders that were originally made for Trainz TS2004.  Pearson singles Nos. 41 and 44.

The most obvious fault with No.44 is that the driving wheel is the wrong size.  Steve used No.41's driving wheel on No.44.

iefvku4.jpg

No.41 is the better model and is the one that I chose to use more often than No.44.  Neither engine would have run on the Minehead branch which is why I haven't taken them out of my digital trainset box for quite a while now.

DGDmcQw.jpg

• Like 5

All these illustrations of Pearson 4-2-4 tanks sent me to the detailed account in Ahrons 'The British Steam Railway Locomotive from 1825 to 1925'  At the end of the article, staring on p.106, he wrote "There were two somewhat similar 4-2-4 tank engines with 7ft. 6in. wheels, one of which, GWR. 2005, built in 1862, remained in its original condition until broken up about 1887."  So, a Broad Gauge  4-2-4 tank still existed when Dean started building his 'narrow' gauge version in 1882.  I was not aware of that when I built my model 4-2-4T for North Leigh.

I've not see this mentioned elsewhere and it does strengthen the idea that Dean was exploring whether the type could be useful on the 'narrow' gauge.  Of course, the broad gauge version could make use of well tanks but Dean had to use very long side tanks, to get a useful water capacity. It seem very likely that these caused the catastrophic instability problems that were his engine's undoing.

Edited by MikeOxon
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Just been catching up Annie. I trust your daughter and you are back on track after her concussion.

And thanks for the recent cheer-up pictures. Taking them all in at once has a startling effect, as if I've had a coffeine overdose.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Just been catching up Annie. I trust your daughter and you are back on track after her concussion.

Thanks for asking Mikkel.  My daughter is still having some problems with nausea as well as bright lights or loud sounds, but the good news is that she was checked over at our local area hospital yesterday and had a CT scan which showed no sign of a fracture or bleeding into her brain.  The doctor at the hospital said that it might be another week before things are back to normal again, but he thought that she was making good progress.

16 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

And thanks for the recent cheer-up pictures. Taking them all in at once has a startling effect, as if I've had a coffeine overdose.

Ha ha, - yes I have been letting loose a wee bit.  What with all the worry I've needed a little bit of a cheer up distraction from time to time and the Broad Gauge is always good for that.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

I did some work around Minehead and the line towards Dunster with generally tidying up the track and checking levels & etc.

The area around the engine shed and turntable was a difficult proposition with the way the turntable is set into the ground, - and as well as that the interactive coal loading track between the water tower and the engine shed refused to be set down a little lower into the ground.  I've been able to do before so I don't know what is up with the silly thing.  Despite all that I ended up with a nice result with not a raw edge showing anywhere.

I know Minehead didn't have a two road engine shed, but with nothing remotely suitable it's ended up with the ex-Broad Gauge timber engine shed from Barnstaple.  Minehead is somewhat of an engine magnet so a two road shed is practical if nothing else.

wt0yARk.jpg

With track testing going on it was time for me to blow the dust off my 'what-if' Sharp-Stewart 4-2-4T.  Those bogies are fully articulated so if there's anything wrong with the track it's easy to see it.  Apart from that No.5 is a lot of fun to drive and she steams well.  However this evening she had the sulks and she took a bit longer than she should to raise boiler pressure.  It might have been me though because having not driven No.5 for a long while I forgot that she needs the blower well turned up to raise steam.

I went as far as Washford because it will be the line from Dunster to Washford that I will be working on next.  I had done a far bit of work at Washford two years ago so all the station and its surrounding will need is a little tidy up.  The track between Dunster and Blue Anchor needs some fettling, but the line from Blue Anchor to Washford wasn't too bad at all.  Along the way I'll be exchanging split post semaphore signals for disc and crossbar signals.

3YL9uoF.jpg

ndFNFH3.jpg

Leaving Dunster.

sD14NCq.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Very Early Morning Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture:  "Mogul", built by Kitson & Co. of Leeds in 1862, was one of a class of 22 engines built for use on the Metropolitan Railway.

Unfortunately she was withdrawn after only 10 years of service when the GWR and the MET fell out with one another  bringing about the end of the Broad Gauge on the Metropolitan Railway.

(Photo courtesy of the Broad Gauge Society)

GfUGhIE.jpg

lCrWc7D.jpg

Edited by Annie
More words needed added drawing.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Afternoon Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture:  Pearson's No.40 again.  No date for the photo, but with having been built in 1873 and then rebuilt into a 4-2-2 tender engine shortly after 1876 when the GWR got their hands on the B&ER the window of opportunity is rather small.

OEW3MYe.jpg

Photo posted previously of No.40 carrying it's GWR number, chimney replaced and with the B&ER cab now removed and replaced with a spectacle plate..

CA0pq7U.jpg

Edited by Annie
More words needed.
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Photographs of both sides of the same 1870s engine must be pretty rare!

Usually we count ourselves lucky if only a single photo of any mid-19th century Broad Gauge engine has survived.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Latest project from Steve Flanders, - recreating the buildings and gasholders that were at Beckton Gasworks in London.  There's more buildings still to come including the octagonal roundhouse, but while i was checking the new buildings over I took the opportunity to give the largest town on 'Tristyn in Winter', - Rathtyen, - a gasworks to remember.

Rathtyen is in great need of a goods yard and a goods shed along with some proper station buildings, - so while I'm about it I might as well do a gasworks too.

SR4Aqtb.jpg

Edited by Annie
can't spell for toffee
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Annie said:

Afternoon Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture:  Pearson's No.40 again.  No date for the photo, but with having been built in 1873 and then rebuilt into a 4-2-2 tender engine shortly after 1876 when the GWR got their hands on the B&ER the window of opportunity is rather small.

Luxury!  - steps and handrails.  No sign of those in the original versions.

Interesting that GWR removed the cab.  Armstrong did not like cabs because he thought that fumes from the fire would make crews drowsy.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

Interesting that GWR removed the cab.  Armstrong did not like cabs because he thought that fumes from the fire would make crews drowsy.

My ex-B&ER Vulcan Foundry 4-4-0ST had its cab removed as well by the GWR and replaced with a spectacle plate.  I would have liked to have a version done in B&ER condition as well, but I couldn't afford it at the time.

24 minutes ago, MikeOxon said:

Luxury!  - steps and handrails.  No sign of those in the original versions.

I suppose one has to wonder how many footplate crew ended up being injured or worse before those luxurious innovations were provided. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My mixed gauge version of the Minehead Branch had been built up in Trainz TRS22 and for a long while I thought it was stuck there due to the considerable number of changes to the landscape format that had been made between TRS19 and TRS22.  However I recently discovered that because I'd decided to stop 'upgrading' TRS22 due to the 'upgrades' breaking more than they fixed it was still possible for me to gather up the MG version of Minehead and backdate it to the earlier version of Trainz.   So that was exactly wot I did.

There was a good reason for me wanting to do this as with the aid of topographical maps I'd revised much of the landscape from Crowcombe Heathfield to Stogumber and I didn't want to have to do it all over again.  While the Trainz TS2004 layout I've been using as a basis for my project was a more or less reasonable effort at mapping out this part of Somerset, - though with some distances compressed a bit, - the section between Crowcombe Heathfield and Stogumber had large areas of the landscape at incorrect heights and levels.  It was a right old business getting it sorted and while it's more than likely still wrong in places it's one heck of a lot better than it was.

I don't know if this version will stay mixed gauge or not as the attempt at making functional mixed gauge trackwork for Trainz has problems that can't be fixed despite the efforts of Steve Flanders & Co to find ways of solving them.  I got the point blades to switch over together, but there's no way to get a signal to recognise the presence of a train on both tracks.  It can do one or the other, but not both.

Just a snap taken at Crowcombe Heathfield in TRS19 to mark the successful transfer.

ryI7WmS.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Happy Easter, Annie, here’s a feel good picture, the Brixham branch train (with a fish van) coming into Churston.

IMG_0527.jpeg.c8a3925030f03281219da238dbb6b65d.jpeg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Happy Easter, Annie, here’s a feel good picture, the Brixham branch train (with a fish van) coming into Churston.

Thanks very much Northroader and a happy Easter to you as well.

That's a very nice picture with all kinds of interesting details.  The signal box that was there pre-WW1 is gone, but the next available OS map was issued in 1938 so it's no help at all with helping to date the photo.  My guess would be early grouping as well going by the appearance of the '517' class.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture:  Torquay station in the final days of the Broad Gauge.  Possibly not such a good cheer up picture after all since preparation work is being done to clear the ballast back from the transoms in readiness for narrowing to the coal cart gauge. 

LAijlck.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Annie said:

in readiness for narrowing to the coal cart gauge.

Sadly, Brunel failed to recognised that it wasn't the rail gauge that was the problem but the loading gauge, which still hobbles British railways today.  The Americans planned for larger trains from the start.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Annie said:

Evening Broad Gauge Cheer Up Picture:  Torquay station in the final days of the Broad Gauge.  Possibly not such a good cheer up picture after all since preparation work is being done to clear the ballast back from the transoms in readiness for narrowing to the coal cart gauge. 

LAijlck.jpg

Curvy bay with platforms both sides. Groovy.

And the tower style station design in stone, for once. Still there I see. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

ealing-extract.jpg.30dceba037226f6759676af30a66ee7e.jpg

Livery?

Looks like a 6 plank wagon with an end door.  My guess is that it's some variety of PO wagon.

Any knowledgeable forum members here with better eyesight than mine?

BbEbkKX.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Annie said:

Looks like a 6 plank wagon with an end door.  My guess is that it's some variety of PO wagon.

They are dumb-buffered. Such a pale colour might generally suggest lime wagons? 

If that's an end door, it seems to be somehow hinged off the top plank. The straps don't extend all the way to the top. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1