The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Ken Dodd dies

great central

• RMweb Premium

I am sure today Ken would want us all to sing his song "Happiness", because that is what he brought to many of us.

"Tears" was the one that came to my mind when I heard the news.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Anyone remember the Southend club big circle layout in the 60s? That had a treacle mine - probably due to the popularity of Doddy at that time?

Stewart

A recurring feature on Manchester MRS layouts in the 50s/60s.

At the London Palladium in 1965:

If my mother knew I was here doing this she'd go mad.

Pause

She thinks I'm still in prison.

Around midnight greeted by roars of laughter:

I don't know who's more stupid - me standing here doing this or you sitting there listening to me.

Only problem I had with Doddy as an Everton season ticket holder was his reputed support for Liverpool FC.

The funniest Englishman ever?

RIP Ken

Stan

• Like 3

Saw Doddy live, twice: first time in Birmingham; second time, whilst on holiday in N.Wales in the 70's, at a cinema in Caernarfon, which doubled as a theatre. The show started at 7.30pm and should have finished 3 hours later. At 11.30pm the band walked out and Doddy finally wrapped it up at 12.05am. I've never laughed so much in all my life.

In the 90's he was doing Bournemouth, and as you say, the show started at 7.30pm, finished well after midnight.

The hotels use to ask guests if they were going to the Diddy Show, they knew their guests would be late back, so they could then make sure the night porter would be awake.......  and possible have the bar open too.

In the films over the last couple of days, he stated he was able to do what he liked re. timing, because he was his boss.

The Palladium days etc., was to a strict time schedule.

• RMweb Gold

A taxi driver phoned into BBC Radio Merseyside this morning.  He said he driven Doddy home after one of his shows in the early hours of the morning to Knotty Ash.  Doddy gave him the £5.50 for the £5.50 fare and having got out of the taxi, Doddy leant into the taxi and put something in the driver's shirt pocket saying 'Have a drink on me!'   

As Doddy walked up his path the driver went into his pocket and took out ---- a tea bag! 

Also attributed to Tommy Cooper

• RMweb Gold

Meant to go to one of his shows in the last couple of years, didn't get round to it, bother. 

Watched a repeat of a C5 (?) documentary about him last night, laughed out loud several times, despite only having seen it recently.

End of an era.

Genius.

• RMweb Premium

When I worked for a Building Society he once called in to our branch in Liverpool and went up to the counter. His opening line was "I had a heck of a job getting here. There was a sign on an escalator that said that dogs must be carried. Could I find one?"

He made people smile and laugh even when he wasn't being paid for it!

RIP Doddy. A proper comedian.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When I worked for a Building Society he once called in to our branch in Liverpool and went up to the counter. His opening line was "I had a heck of a job getting here. There was a sign on an escalator that said that dogs must be carried. Could I find one?"

He made people smile and laugh even when he wasn't being paid for it!

RIP Doddy. A proper comedian.

I think he stole that one from Chic Murray, one of the great Scots comics (along with Rikky Fulton and Stanley Baxter). It was recycled in the first Paddington Bear film too.

• Like 2

Ken Dodd could make me laugh without even saying a word. His Stage presence alone was all that was needed.

And here, to me, was another all time great with  the same ability.

tommycooper1.jpg

Their jokes were far funnier than yours, as well..!! :mosking: :jester: :tomato:

(See the Jokes Thread on this Forum for details.) ;)

{On second thoughts - don't.} :sarcastichand:

• 3 months later...

A few years ago I arrived at work and said to a colleague, "Ken Dodd died last night".  He said "Did he?" to which I replied "Doddy".  No great shakes there.  Then five years later I arrived at the same job and said to the same colleague, "Ken Dodd died last night" to which I expected "Yeah right, I'm not falling for that one again", but to my surprise I got, "Did he?"  I just stared at him.  If Ken could get two laughs for the same joke then why shouldn't I?

• Like 2