Class 116 diesel multiple units

chrisf

8 hours ago, EddieK said:

Looking at the railcar website, I suspect that you are correct, as I cannot see and 116s with the bodyside air vent louvre as fitted to Class 117 on refurbishment.

I was trying to avoid a full respray and had lined up a NSE/Blue Grey shells for trying to convert. Wouldn't be a problem if I was doing a full respray as I could either remove or use Bachmanns original release in BR green. Still what's a project without a challenge!

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi,

Just wondering if any kind soul can confirm whether the 130 parcel 116 cars used on the rail air parcels were at the time fitted with corridor connections - all the pics I can find  are wrong end / angle to show details.

Just faffing with N gauge Dapol railcars into DMS and MS  having a GUV to fit in between. 

TIA

Robert    

18 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi,

Just wondering if any kind soul can confirm whether the 130 parcel 116 cars used on the rail air parcels were at the time fitted with corridor connections - all the pics I can find  are wrong end / angle to show details.

Just faffing with N gauge Dapol railcars into DMS and MS  having a GUV to fit in between. 

TIA

Robert    

I assume you are referring to the RailAir Express Parcels W51137/50, as converted at Newton Abbot in 1969 - according to the 1969 Ian Allan Combined Volume they were not gangwayed, and this hadn't changed a year later (interestingly the 1969 book shows them as being the only Class 116 vehicles in Scotland in January that year, so the ScR must have relinquished them for this conversion). Most Class 116s had not been gangwayed at that time, and any that had been would have been required for passenger service. In any case newly-fitted gangway connections would have been redundant in the RailAir Express Parcels set as the two GUVs (W86174/572) were not gangwayed either.

After this set had been disbanded these two GUVs moved to the London Division and during the early to mid 1970s were used to strengthen Paddington-Reading DMU parcels sets involving Class 128 DPUs W55991/2 and Class 130 (ex-Class 116) DMBS W50819/62 and DMS W50872/915 - none of these four had been gangwayed before their seating was stripped out for parcels use - they acquired the connections and had their seating restored when returned to passenger use in the late 1970s.

I have assembled a 3-car set in OO formed from a Heljan Class 128, a rebogied Lima GUV and a Lima DMU vehicle modified to represent W50862, which had oval buffers (the other three had round ones). I just need to get the airbrush out - hopefully this summer.......🙂

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I have to agree - I found this thread quite late on and ploughed through it - it answered a few of my questions! Chris's knowledge of this relatively humble but wide-ranging DMU class was phenomenal. I plan to post a pic or two of my parcels conversion when(ever) I get it sprayed up, and I may one day convert the Lima 117 stored in the loft into W50865/50921 as running in Cornwall in unlined green livery in 1967 (the centre trailer W59372 looks like too much work but never say never.......😉!)

And who knows, maybe we'll get to discuss an RTR Class 116 model on here...........one day............🤔

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 27/02/2023 at 18:06, br2975 said:

May I suggest that this thread remains indefinitely, as a memorial to its' author, my friend, the late Chris Foren.

Sorry to hear of Chris' passing. I concur with the above sentiment.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Seconded.  It's basically a free reference book on the subject, and TTBOMK the only one for any class of first generation dmus at that!  It should be retained not just to honour Chris Foren's memory but as a matter of canon record.

On 27/02/2023 at 18:53, Halvarras said:

I may one day convert the Lima 117 stored in the loft into W50865/50921 as running in Cornwall in unlined green livery in 1967 (the centre trailer W59372 looks like too much work but never say never.......😉!)

I still have a 116 I converted from Lima 117 cars more than 40 years ago, and it still runs!  It looks a bit crude and dated by modern standards, but is not the worst bit of modelling I ever did...

If you're interested:-

You will need, for my version, a 3-car Lima 117 set and two extra trailer TCLs.

The DMBS is the easiest, as there is no cut'n'shutting needed.  I cut the headcode panel off and replaced it with a destination blind panel made of two pieces of brass L section of appropriate size made into a box section; don't ask me where I got them, it was a long time ago.  The fill-in shape is then made up freestyle from Milliput to match the remaining profile of the domed roof end.  It needs to be smoothly finished as it will be painted white on a green liveried set (and early blue) and white is unforgiving in this regard.  As I wanted to create the version with the four marker lights and no 2-character headcode panels, I drilled out the 117 marker lights with extra holes for the one above the destination blind panel and the centre bottom lamp and fed appropriately sized brass tube through from inside.  File a half-circle relief out of the ends of the bottom left and right tubes at the top to represent the markers' red shade holding slots.  Remove the destination blind from inside the cab centre window.

The TS (there is also a TC variant) needs to be made up of sections from two of of the three  trailers, using a trailer underframe.  You need to follow the window pattern to determine the position of the compartment dividers that separate the central non-smoking area from the rest of the coach, and the TC if you are making that variant will need at least one more trailer.  There was a 2-bay smoking and a single bay non-smoking first class compartment, with small windows at the dividers.  I'll come back to the compartment dividers later.  None of the 117's first class door spacing is used, as the first class seating bays on 116s were the same size as the second, but with better seats.  IIRC the 117's rooftop toilet supply pipes run above the first class area of the TCL, so you don't have to carve them off.

The DMS is another cut'n'shut, and you need to remove the bodyshell from the underframe.  Again, follow the window pattern to position the compartment dividers, but basically the guard's van is removed and thrown away to be replaced with the second class portion of one of the TCLs.  The cab is a repeat of the DMBS.

My set represents a late 50s/early 60s light green unlined set with 'speed whiskers'.  These did not have gangway connectors so these are removed and the holes filled with Milliput; the set was to be repainted anyway.  The exaust pipes on the motor cars need to be replaced with plain pipe as the sets did not have silencers in those days.  From around 1964 IIRC sets in South Wales began to recieve gangway connections in tandem with unstaffing of stations on the Valleys network, and I am not certain when this happened in the Bristol, London, and Birmingham Divisions, but it was certainly well under way by 1966 when the sets began to appear in corporate blue livery.  This applied to the 117s as well and the lined green syp Lima gangwayed set is correct in that respect, shame it doesn't have a proper DMS...  Off the WR, they retained the plain ends without gangway connections much longer.   I cannot recall any sets in the lighter green livery, lined or unlined, whiskers or syp, with gangway connections.

Prior to the provision of corridor connections and selling tickets on the trains, the compartment dividers were solid across the carriages with seating benches all the way across on both sides (as were the ends), with three rectangular wooden framed windows allowing through visual connection.  Depending on the actual set, gangway provision led to the loss of up to nine seats (there was always a doorway into the cabs).  Second class seating, 3x2, was the grey with red squares moquette and red faux leather headrests, and the panelling was a sort of light green with darker green squiggly lines in it; first class was dark blue 2x2 armchair seating and faux teak panelling.  I used Games Workshop decaying flesh matt acrylic for my all-second class set, the closest match I could find to my memory of this panelling...  No smoking triangles and first class sausages were displayed in the central compartment divider windows, so you need to glaze these.

A very worthwhile improvement is proper sized buffers to replace the silly little Lima mushrooms, and I filled in the ends of the brass tube marker lights with superglue to represent the opaque glass covering the marker lights.  Cab and brake van interiors were cream on green liveried sets, and the drivers' desks were dark grey.  Drivers' seats were red faux leather, as was the tip-up secondman's seat and guard's van seat, but this is not visible on the Lima as this compartment is full of motor!  Dmus used oil tail lamps well into the 80s, don't make the rookie mistake of having two red marker lamps on your sets if you model earlier periods and certainly not in a green livery.  I also fitted the double vacuum hoses and wire representations of the control cables, and picked out the appropriate underframe detail in silver.  I'd show you a photo only the set is in a box buried at the bottom of a pile in my understairs cubbyhole (not a euphemism, you bad people)...

I am not modelling in this period nowadays, but would also like to see a decent RTR 116 to current standards, if only because so many of my childhood and railway career  memories are connected with them, and I identify with the unglamorous and mundane...  It is, I contend, a better choice than a 117, which only ever worked on one region and mostly in only one area of that for the first decade or so.  116s worked on all regions.  It is possible that the RTR manufacturers are reluctant to embrace a class with two different trailer designs and (I think!) four cab front variations to accommodate.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Many thanks for all this info @The Johnster, I have previously tackled a Class 118 conversion, and a Class 121 DTS, so I know deletion of the redundant guard's compartment requires two new sections of bodyside per side from a donor (the DTS on a centre trailer underframe required all of the floorboards except the driving cab replacing so that they lined up with the doors - bit of a pita! At one point years ago I did gather powered and unpowered DMBS's and two trailers to create a 116, but chickened out and flogged them all. Then later on found a cheap mint power car at a show which.....sort of......followed me home, and I eventually ended up with another blue 3-car set, as yet untouched! I also have some spare body sections to sort the second guard's compartment (again)....... however a 116 centre car would probably require another purchase....... well, it's not at the top of my To Do List so let's see how things transpire 🥴!

• RMweb Gold

A problem I failed to overcome was the incorrect larger side windows immediately behind the cab at an odd spacing that was a feature of the Lima 117s. I can’t off-hand remember if this is correct for a 117, bit it is certainly not correct for a 116 (and they tell you all dmus look the same!).  This would look worst in the blue/grey or refurbished liveries, and if it’s going to bother you unduly I’d go for the dark green lined or plain blue liveries where it won’t draw quite so much attention to itself.  It can be cut’n’shut out, but I thought it was a lot of faff and considered that the amount of cut’n’shutting was best kept to a minimum, so I decided to live with it.  The other cuts could be hidden by positioning them on door joins and roof ribs, but this would hve had to have been done on a plain section of bodyside and through window reveals, so I bottled it.  I’m not sure I would do the same now!

It is an annoying blemish on a model that (so far as it went and as I’ve said the complete lack of a DMS was a much bigger nuisance), was not bad for it’s time and price, and at least had scale length underframes and bodyshells  so that it could be worked up a bit.  I bought Southeastern flush windows for mine to overcome the other big problem, the overthick bodysides and recessed glazing that reduced the interior width by a scale foot and meant that you couldn’t model the seats to scale without compromising the central aisle. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

They were provided with pairs of red shades  stowed in each cab that could be placed over the marker lights, specifically the ones over the buffers, but the marker lights were not wired to be illuminated separately, so all had to be on together.  As all passenger trains in those pre-HST days carried a single tail lamp, not two, and a white lamp could not be shown to the rear, oil lamps were used.  

There were plenty of other ways of doing this, and one might argue that the matter was not well thought out, but it was considered that the tail lamp was the guard’s responsibility, and he was not allowed into the cabs to switch the markers on or off or to get the shades.  Therefore a normal oil lamp on a bracket was used.  

Exceptions were emus and demus on the Southern Region, and the Blue Pullman units, which had separately wired red central markers. 

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Why was this?

Now the correct answer!   Yes some DMUs were delivered with red shades that could be inserted into the white marker light spaces which were constructed with a sort of channel to hold the red shade securely.

But whie teh Sioouthern region used red blonds on its DEMUs - in line with its later electric units the big problem with using electric lights ona GDMU was battery life - in short the market r lights could not be relied on to remain illuminated if the engines weren't running.  Hence the built in lights could be come useless in an emergency and that is  really the time when a reliable rear light is most essential on a unit train.  So the requirement to use an oil tail lamp remained - just as had been the case with the GWR diesel cars pre-war where the use of electric tail lights on them was sound found to be in adequate and they were required to carry an oil tail lamp.  So far as DMUs are concerned things only began to change with the second generation units on BR but battery electric tail lights gradually came into use on other trains during the 1970s

I presume the situation with the DEMUs was that as they had a much larger engine  they had far more battery capacity than the diesel mechanical units so were considered safe with a red blind.  However I've an idea that the Hastings units originally used oil tail lamps -I'm open to correction/further information about that.

The  Blue Pullman sets used a red shade in one of their marker lights however they also had onboard an oil tail lamp for use in emergencies.  All modern trains and locos ultimately have a 'reliable battery life' of some sort for their tail light if they are not drawing or generating power but this nowadays far exceeds the duration of any emergency situation in which the light is required to be illuminated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

A problem I failed to overcome was the incorrect larger side windows immediately behind the cab at an odd spacing that was a feature of the Lima 117s. I can’t off-hand remember if this is correct for a 117, bit it is certainly not correct for a 116 (and they tell you all dmus look the same!).  This would look worst in the blue/grey or refurbished liveries, and if it’s going to bother you unduly I’d go for the dark green lined or plain blue liveries where it won’t draw quite so much attention to itself.  It can be cut’n’shut out, but I thought it was a lot of faff and considered that the amount of cut’n’shutting was best kept to a minimum, so I decided to live with it.  The other cuts could be hidden by positioning them on door joins and roof ribs, but this would hve had to have been done on a plain section of bodyside and through window reveals, so I bottled it.  I’m not sure I would do the same now!

It is an annoying blemish on a model that (so far as it went and as I’ve said the complete lack of a DMS was a much bigger nuisance), was not bad for it’s time and price, and at least had scale length underframes and bodyshells  so that it could be worked up a bit.  I bought Southeastern flush windows for mine to overcome the other big problem, the overthick bodysides and recessed glazing that reduced the interior width by a scale foot and meant that you couldn’t model the seats to scale without compromising the central aisle. 

I wasn't aware of that window issue but I'd live with it too - even though I now know about it! I always make a judgment call on whether correcting things like this is worth the extra work, and weigh up the chances of getting it so perfect the correction isn't noticeable (a good example would be converting a Bachmann Class 42 to headcode discs, something I've contemplated but never attempted - I reckon I could cope with the multitude of differences except changing the vertical struts in the side grilles from double to single - attempting it would no doubt gather some kudos from some quarters for recognising the detail but I couldn't live with the inevitably messed-up grilles - all eight of them!)

On the two DMBS conversions I've done I elected to retain the whole roof and inner end and replace the guard's compartment sections with window parts from a donor, two per side. Because I planned to retain the Lima glazing, initially at least (the bodies were prepared for SEF flushglazing but 25 years later I still haven't got a round tuit!) these sections were 'butt-welded' in place as any internal bracing would have interfered with the Lima glazing, and it was all rigid enough when re-assembled. So, having sprayed the 3-car set BR blue I forgot the need to support the DMS shell by inserting the chassis when applying Replica run-down numbers, as I'd done with the DTS in 1991, and promptly caved in these sections! Luckily I was able to re-glue these without any external evidence of my oversight!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

They were provided with pairs of red shades  stowed in each cab that could be placed over the marker lights, specifically the ones over the buffers, but the marker lights were not wired to be illuminated separately, so all had to be on together.  As all passenger trains in those pre-HST days carried a single tail lamp, not two, and a white lamp could not be shown to the rear, oil lamps were used.  

There were plenty of other ways of doing this, and one might argue that the matter was not well thought out, but it was considered that the tail lamp was the guard’s responsibility, and he was not allowed into the cabs to switch the markers on or off or to get the shades.  Therefore a normal oil lamp on a bracket was used.  

In my experience of cabbing DMUs, the marker lamps were individually switched. I cannot recall the lamp codes for different headcodes but presumably the early 116s with the 4 lamp cabs (for instance) were expected to show Class 1, Class 2 and Class 5 trains? When the later builds came out with only a marker lamp above each buffer and a 2 or 4 digit headcode, it looks like the practice was revised and both marker lamps were used and this practice spread to units with 4 lamp cab fronts.

Apologies for a slight tangent, but the 51573 batch of Class 120 units had a 4 digit headcode and only one marker lamp, when built....

I suspect that the retention of oil tail lamps was a union requirement, as has been said already. With the Guard being responsible for displaying the tail lamp, he/she was not allowed into the cab and so the oil lamps remained. Our local branch line to St Albans had units appear with red bulbs in the marker lamps in (from memory) 1979/80 ish. Initially, this was part of a series of local experiments and eventually the use of red bulbs in marker lamps on first gen DMUs became adopted nationally - seemingly no problems with battery life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember the porter at Bedford of Italian origin using some of the newly learnt English words when the tail lamp was a poor fit. They were not RM web friendly ones. 

Class 116 were used on the Bedford to Moorgate trains, so I have kept on topic.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

However I've an idea that the Hastings units originally used oil tail lamps -I'm open to correction/further information about that.

The use of red tail blinds on the Southern was actually first trialled on the Hastings diesel units, including the use of red blinds with white diagonal stripes on some units, before the inspectorate agreed to it being rolled out across the EPB electric fleet. This might well have been a "let's prove that the worst case works first" situation.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, bécasse said:

The use of red tail blinds on the Southern was actually first trialled on the Hastings diesel units, including the use of red blinds with white diagonal stripes on some units, before the inspectorate agreed to it being rolled out across the EPB electric fleet. This might well have been a "let's prove that the worst case works first" situation.

At the risk of wandering off-topic, I seem to recall a trial on a Class 37 - I even have a number, Cardiff Canton's blue D6992, because I'm either inexplicably nerdy about this kind of thing........or have (had) vivid dreams 🤪!  - where one position of the headcode display - second (alphabetic) I think - had a red blind inserted for use instead of a tail lamp - this would have been around the time of the black-on-white headcode blind experiment trialled on Class 47s D1930/65/75*, so around 1969/70. IIRC it was reported in a railway magazine of the time but I've never seen any other reference to it, let alone a photo. Maybe the trial was canned before it took to the rails.......or I really did dream it.......it was so long ago I can't be sure now!

*Note that these 47s were WR, LMR and ScR allocated respectively, presumably to spread the visibility trial around the regions - I'm not aware of an ER loco so fitted but I did see D1975 with white headcode at Kings Cross in July 1970 and it must have traversed the length of the ER to get there......

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Now the correct answer!   Yes some DMUs were delivered with red shades that could be inserted into the white marker light spaces which were constructed with a sort of channel to hold the red shade securely.

But whie teh Sioouthern region used red blonds on its DEMUs - in line with its later electric units the big problem with using electric lights ona GDMU was battery life - in short the market r lights could not be relied on to remain illuminated if the engines weren't running.  Hence the built in lights could be come useless in an emergency and that is  really the time when a reliable rear light is most essential on a unit train.  So the requirement to use an oil tail lamp remained - just as had been the case with the GWR diesel cars pre-war where the use of electric tail lights on them was sound found to be in adequate and they were required to carry an oil tail lamp.  So far as DMUs are concerned things only began to change with the second generation units on BR but battery electric tail lights gradually came into use on other trains during the 1970s

I presume the situation with the DEMUs was that as they had a much larger engine  they had far more battery capacity than the diesel mechanical units so were considered safe with a red blind.  However I've an idea that the Hastings units originally used oil tail lamps -I'm open to correction/further information about that.

The  Blue Pullman sets used a red shade in one of their marker lights however they also had onboard an oil tail lamp for use in emergencies.  All modern trains and locos ultimately have a 'reliable battery life' of some sort for their tail light if they are not drawing or generating power but this nowadays far exceeds the duration of any emergency situation in which the light is required to be illuminated.

Again, as always, thank you Mike for the full explanation.  But the first generation dmus (those that remained, anyway, which included 116s) did use twin electric tail lights eventually, IIRC with red bulbs rather than the removable shades.  Was there then an improvement in battery performance or charging when this occurred (I am not sure of the exact time this happened but it seemed to be around the turn of the 1980s).

I can confirm that the Hastings sets had oil lamp brackets, because I worked one from Swindon to Barry Island on a Mystex in 1974, and had a blazing row with the signalman at Barry who would not allow the train to proceed over the causeway with it's red blinds, and I had to mollify him by placing my Bardic on the rear bracket, which he would have realised was unneccessary if he'd ever bothered to read his General Appendix...*

Some colour photos of the Blue Pullman sets in their early days seem to show that the red electric tail lamp, in the centre position on the nose between the white markers, was obscured on the leading end of the train with matching blue discs; later photos show that these were not present and the lamp was clearly red, though not lit.  They probably got mislaid.  Again, presumably, the higher power output of the engines must have allowed bigger, better charged, batteries and longer burn times for the tail lamps.  TTBOMK there were no conventional lamp brackets on these trains.

*Not the only run-in I had with this particular character, who was IMHO basically incompetent, past it, and should have been quietly removed/offered early retirement.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Halvarras said:

At the risk of wandering off-topic, I seem to recall a trial on a Class 37 - I even have a number, Cardiff Canton's blue D6992, because I'm either inexplicably nerdy about this kind of thing........or have (had) vivid dreams 🤪!  - where one position of the headcode display - second (alphabetic) I think - had a red blind inserted for use instead of a tail lamp - this would have been around the time of the black-on-white headcode blind experiment trialled on Class 47s D1930/65/75*, so around 1969/70. IIRC it was reported in a railway magazine of the time but I've never seen any other reference to it, let alone a photo. Maybe the trial was canned before it took to the rails.......or I really did dream it.......it was so long ago I can't be sure now!

*Note that these 47s were WR, LMR and ScR allocated respectively, presumably to spread the visibility trial around the regions - I'm not aware of an ER loco so fitted but I did see D1975 with white headcode at Kings Cross in July 1970 and it must have traversed the length of the ER to get there......

Have seen a couple of photos on RMWeb of locos with a red headcode blind - one was the former cl.24/1 ETH Train Heating Unit and the other was a cl.50 while still on the LMR.

IIRC the red visible was on the 3rd or 4th character, I've no idea if there was a red blank for other/all positions.

(I can find the posts but it might take me a while)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

IIRC, there were red and white blank on the canvas rolls, as well as a black blank and dots and dashes.  These were all made by a firm in a smallish shed in Caernarfon, North Wales, which was one of a very few companies in this field and exported to airports railway, tram, and bus operators all over the world, all bespoke and in any language or script required.  Flippity-Flappity displays and then LCD/LED

put them out of business about thirty years ago.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...