DERBY ROUNDHOUSE 12th & 13th May 2018

Mike Bellamy

• RMweb Premium

Went today by train, nice venue, enjoyed the show. Thought the continental layouts were especially good. Spent rather a lot of money. Tried to order one of the tool vans tonight, but not available yet on the website.

• Like 1

As my local station has no service on Sundays, I can't use the train.

Can anyone please tell me, is car parking charged or free?

TiA

I think parking near by is limited, and not free. The Green car park on Hudson way is probably the cheapest. What might be a better bet is driving to a station with free/cheap parking and take the train from there.

Edited by Titan

• RMweb Premium

Went today by train, nice venue, enjoyed the show. Thought the continental layouts were especially good. Spent rather a lot of money. Tried to order one of the tool vans tonight, but not available yet on the website.

Thanks for your kind remarks and thanks for all the others above as well.

We had order forms for the Tool Van on the Club stand to enable visitors to be first on the list. The website will go live in a few days time after we have all recovered from this weekend but at the moment our web wizard is battling with an automated system to capture the data in a way that will be compliant with the new GDPR regulations that come into force later this month - another headache we could do without !!

Mike

Mickleover MRG

• RMweb Premium

As my local station has no service on Sundays, I can't use the train.

Can anyone please tell me, is car parking charged or free?

TiA

Andy

Parking is available at the Roundhouse - follow my yellow signs and turn right directly before you arrive at RH to park at the back of the venue - there is an alternative car park in front of RH as well with access from the roundabout at the end of the road by the station.

Parking is all managed by contractors employed on behalf of Derby College and as far as I am aware there is a £2 charge just to cover their costs for being there - much cheaper that using the station car park or the pay and display nearby.

We hope you enjoy your visit

Mike

What might be a better bet is driving to a station with free/cheap parking and take the train from there.

In these parts? There is no such thing :no:

Edited by leopardml2341

In these parts? There is no such thing :no:

Just how far away does "In these parts" cover? Coleshill parkway station has free parking, although I am not sure if there are any direct trains to Derby on a Sunday. I am sure it is not the only one, since there are so many routes to Derby there must be others too.

Edited by Titan

Just how far away does "In these parts" cover? Coleshill parkway station has free parking, although I am not sure if there are any direct trains to Derby on a Sunday. I am sure it is not the only one, since there are so many routes to Derby there must be others too.

Sorry, I thought my Avatar location tag says where I am; must check.

Coleshill doesn't have any direct services to Derby on any day, all via Leicester which sort of defeats the object.

• RMweb Gold

I visited the show yesterday with a friend travelling from Nottingham on a very crowded Cross Country 170 from Nottingham, just glad I wasn't going further.

A very nice show in a very interesting setting and it must be hard for the organisers to find layouts which fit the space, the curved German layout was perfect but there are not many that shape.

It was nice to see so many layouts where the stock had not come straight out of a box, TTTE excepted.

Well done to all involved and hopefully I'll be back next year.

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Just to introduce a dose of realism into this thread,the nearest stations to Willington open on Sunday are either Burton ( back down the Birmingham-Derby line about 7 miles away .Parking £3 ) or Derby itself. Thus only realistic option by public transport is by Trent bus followed by long walk to the Roundhouse.i.e. don't bother & take car

Coleshill is where the nearest BBC etc. weather station is ......around 45 minutes by car via A38 and A446.

Just to introduce a dose of realism into this thread,the nearest stations to Willington open on Sunday are either Burton ( back down the Birmingham-Derby line about 7 miles away .Parking £3 ) or Derby itself. Thus only realistic option by public transport is by Trent bus followed by long walk to the Roundhouse.i.e. don't bother & take car

Coleshill is where the nearest BBC etc. weather station is ......around 45 minutes by car via A38 and A446.

On a day like today, from Willington it would be ideal to cycle it!

I paid my first visit to this show yesterday.  In terms of proximity to the station the venue cannot be bettered and I hope that the impending carnage to the EMT timetable does not make it more difficult to get there in future.  The venue itself has more than a touch of charisma with old and new tastefully and carefully blended.  The catering in the bar area I found more than sufficient to keep me going - two gourmet sausages in an offcut of baguette hit the spot - even though I don't like chilli and despite my intense loathing of Starbucks I allowed myself to be bought a cuppa in the concession.  There were plenty of places for weary bones to be rested and for worlds to be put to rights and good use was made of the constraits imposed by the building to accommodate all that needed to be there.

The variety of layouts to be viewed was impressive.  I was quite taken with High Stamley, a quarry themed narrow gauge essay by Paul Windle which was new to me.  A familiar sight in a less familiar guise was the MRC's Minories GN in EM, which has acquired quite a large extension without losing the innate charm of the Minories concept.  P4, my chosen discipline, was well represented by Robin Gay's Rolvenden, Adrian Colenutt's Leysdown which is also inspired by Colonel Stephens and the familiar Birmingham Moor Street from the West Midlands Area Group of the Scalefour Society.  The latter sported a Dapol GWR railcar thoroughly reworked by Jim Smith-Wright for Brettell Road.  Jim rightly took exception to the unexploded bomb which Dapol left in the middle of the passenger saloon and its removal makes such a difference.  It is always a pleasure to see Dave Tailby's Weslo Steels [EM], which evokes aspects of my boyhood in West London, but I think he needs finally to bite the bullet and find a brass gear for that sickly 08.  Mick Newbryford's Deadman's Lane [OO] pays fitting homage to the erstwhile Derby RTC and was the scene of what has of late become a very rare event - an RMweb meet.  Old hands like me recall with misty eyes when no half-decent show wwas complete without one.

The mix of trade and society stands would have served most needs.  My sole purchase was from the Swiss Railway Society and comprised a handy guide to tram and trolleybus networks past and present in Switzerland which will inform future ramblings in that wonderful country.

I understand that the venue also houses Derby beer festival, so that's two good reasons why I hope to be back.

Chris 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

On a day like today, from Willington it would be ideal to cycle it!

Not a good idea,I'm afraid.Someone we know....a local man.....unfortunately lost his life last year while cycling through the outskirts of Derby.He was hit by a truck on the southern ring road.

Not a good idea,I'm afraid.Someone we know....a local man.....unfortunately lost his life last year while cycling through the outskirts of Derby.He was hit by a truck on the southern ring road.

Believe it or not people die on all other modes of transport too. And there is no need to cycle on the southern ring road to get to the Roundhouse. You could even cycle along the canal towpath for part of it. Of course, people have died on the canal as well...

Edited by Titan

It could happen anywhere at any time.

• RMweb Premium

Another enjoyable show, great selection of layouts and a delight to wander around them. I gave up on EMT and parked without problem at the venue for the 2nd year. Highly recommended as 'one of the best model rail events in the East Midlands', being diplomatic.

I had time for a bit of photography back at the GCR Goods Gala afterwards too!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As the clock is approaching 4.30pm, it's time to start packing up and clearing everything away.

Many thanks to everyone who attended and thanks for the kind comments above about the show.

Next year will be on 11th and 12th May 2019

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Was thinking twice about going because of the M1 but its early reopening got my backside into gear and I made the trip over this afternoon. Some brilliant modelling was seen as a result. I can only echo Chris F’s sentiments on thie show. Well done to those involved.

• Like 2

I attended yesterday, for the first time, and a most excellent show it was - I will be back ! The venue is a superb example of railway history and could not be any more convenient for the station.

• RMweb Premium

On behalf of the Deadmans Lane team, thank you to the Mickleover Model Railway Group for the show this weekend.

A great venue and atmosphere.

Cheers,

Mick