Dapol Announce O&K JHA Hoppers in OO gauge

MGR Hooper!

On 10/02/2022 at 21:39, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm if the latest Yeoman hoppers have the same running numbers as the original batch.

Thanks in advance.

As previously stated, all the new wagons have new running numbers, so it's really quick building up a decent rake of wagons as always with Dapol.

And no duplication with old or later liveries.

4F-050-001 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19303 Early

4F-050-002 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19311 Early

4F-050-003 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19306 Late

4F-050-004 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19313 Late

4F-050-005 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19302 Early

4F-050-006 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19307 Early

4F-050-007 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19317 Early

4F-050-101 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19335 Early

4F-050-102 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19337 Early

4F-050-103 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19349 Early

4F-050-104 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19361 Late

4F-050-105 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19370 Late

4F-050-106 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19398 Late

4F-050-107 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19322 Early

4F-050-108 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19325 Early

4F-050-109 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19330 Early

4F-050-110 O&K JHA Hopper middle Wagon number 19354 Late

4F-050-111 O&K JHA Hopper middle Wagon number 19375 Late

4F-050-112 O&K JHA Hopper middle Wagon number 19391 Late

Hope this helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

As previously stated, all the new wagons have new running numbers, so it's really quick building up a decent rake of wagons as always with Dapol.

And no duplication with old or later liveries.

4F-050-001 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19303 Early

4F-050-002 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19311 Early

4F-050-003 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19306 Late

4F-050-004 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19313 Late

4F-050-005 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19302 Early

4F-050-006 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19307 Early

4F-050-007 O&K JHA Hopper End Wagon number 19317 Early

4F-050-101 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19335 Early

4F-050-102 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19337 Early

4F-050-103 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19349 Early

4F-050-104 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19361 Late

4F-050-105 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19370 Late

4F-050-106 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19398 Late

4F-050-107 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19322 Early

4F-050-108 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19325 Early

4F-050-109 O&K JHA Hopper Middle Wagon number 19330 Early

4F-050-110 O&K JHA Hopper middle Wagon number 19354 Late

4F-050-111 O&K JHA Hopper middle Wagon number 19375 Late

4F-050-112 O&K JHA Hopper middle Wagon number 19391 Late

Hope this helps

Thank you for going to the trouble to make up that summary.

I like the Dapol approach. It’s possible to buy a rake of wagons and later to buy another rake to make up an impressive train. It isn’t a big financial blow all at once and a decent train eventually materialises. Accurascale’s approach is good but a complete train all at once is a big clout, even with the helpful discount. Hornby isn’t so good but occasionally will produce a three pack and a singleton and, rarely, will repeat, so that eight wagons are a possibility. Bachmann, for all its good qualities, is hopeless in this regard, producing wagons one at a time.

I’m talking about building block trains. In steam and early diesel days, trains were a hotchpotch but even then, pairs and triples were so common that a train made up entirely of singletons was rare.

On 13/02/2022 at 10:06, Tony Walker said:

Craig, No problem here with either the first batch or the second. Spare springs are in the accessory pack, or should be.

No help on the new batch but a para of warning based on the current batch - I recently (22 Nov21) bought 3 inners and 2 outers and given my experience I am seriously considering whether to buy any more. I had 2 misplaced springs and one missing spring in a set of five wagons.

There is no spare spring in any of the five still sealed accessory packs and it is not listed in the instruction sheet parts instruction as being included in the accessory packs. Neither is it obvious from the DCC website if it is available as a spare..... possibly being same as their N gauge coupling spring?

In my case I had an unfortunate attack of altruism - in the spirit of keeping supplier costs down I suggested to the supplier that rather than me send the whole batch back or even just the two faulty wagons that they simply send a spring in an envelope instead - the road to hell is paved with good intentions - eventually they assured me they had done so at the end of January but I cannot believe how difficult it has been to get that missing spring..... between Royal Mail who in our area  are currently randomly delivering once or twice a week  and the supplier (and DCC supplies from whom I also requested a spring because of slow supplier response and who said they would supply)  I am still waiting.

In an act of desperation I also asked DCC supplies will a Kadee H0 buckeye spring fit - still awaiting a response on that.

So to anyone buying these wagons I would say - open them very carefully over a fairly large flat white non-bouncy surface and be prepared to pick the springs out of the wagon packaging - then get yourself a very good magnifying lens and prepare for some serious fiddling to get the little b***** back in place..

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/02/2022 at 08:49, No Decorum said:

Thank you for going to the trouble to make up that summary.

I like the Dapol approach. It’s possible to buy a rake of wagons and later to buy another rake to make up an impressive train. It isn’t a big financial blow all at once and a decent train eventually materialises. Accurascale’s approach is good but a complete train all at once is a big clout, even with the helpful discount. Hornby isn’t so good but occasionally will produce a three pack and a singleton and, rarely, will repeat, so that eight wagons are a possibility. Bachmann, for all its good qualities, is hopeless in this regard, producing wagons one at a time.

I’m talking about building block trains. In steam and early diesel days, trains were a hotchpotch but even then, pairs and triples were so common that a train made up entirely of singletons was rare.

Totally agree, it’s a great approach by Dapol and can’t understand why Bachmann and Hornby don’t follow suit. At least Hornby have now got their act together on Mk3 HST coach sets.

Bachmann are the worst offenders. I’ve been building two rakes of JPAs and up to twelve and eight, but looks like no more to come sadly.

I wonder if the loose / missing springs is getting back to Dapol, I have three Inners arriving tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Would help if they provided replacements in the box but they may not know about it yet. I’ve had one wagon with a missing spring, was returned to ROS who replaced it as it wasn’t in the box. I have found a load of Kadee springs in one of my spare bits boxes, believe people have fitted these, but we shouldn’t have too !

Update: The new packs have two spare springs included, see picture, this is from one of the new later Inner wagons

20220216_120912.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones

15 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Totally agree, it’s a great approach by Dapol and can’t understand why Bachmann and Hornby don’t follow suit. At least Hornby have now got their act together on Mk3 HST coach sets.

Bachmann are the worst offenders. I’ve been building two rakes of JPAs and up to twelve and eight, but looks like no more to come sadly.

I wonder if the loose / missing springs is getting back to Dapol, I have three Inners arriving tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Would help if they provided replacements in the box but they may not know about it yet. I’ve had one wagon with a missing spring, was returned to ROS who replaced it as it wasn’t in the box. I have found a load of Kadee springs in one of my spare bits boxes, believe people have fitted these, but we shouldn’t have too !

Update: The new packs have two spare springs included, see picture, this is from one of the new later Inner wagons

20220216_120912.jpg

Martin,

thank you for your photo - obviously the accessories upgrade for the second run justifies the rise in price between the first 5 that I bought and these (newer?) ones  :) - I guess I will have to sink my pride/irritability and buy another set of five so that I can use one of the "spare" springs to complete rake no 1 ! (Might be the only solution to getting that spring !!)

34 minutes ago, lochlongside said:

Martin,

thank you for your photo - obviously the accessories upgrade for the second run justifies the rise in price between the first 5 that I bought and these (newer?) ones  :) - I guess I will have to sink my pride/irritability and buy another set of five so that I can use one of the "spare" springs to complete rake no 1 ! (Might be the only solution to getting that spring !!)

Nothing detailed on the website but it might be worth contacting DCC Supplies in Worcester

I bought a set of five from the first run, two outers and three inners, just added three inners to make eight. Hopefully there will be more Inners, unlike the Autoballaster's I don't believe they run in sets of five, just outers on each end, but I may be wrong.

Edited by martin_l_jones

3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Correct. You may also get a pair of outers back to back in the middle of a set.

Jo

Thanks Jo, good tip on the super glue, two of my new wagons were ok, but both springs loose in the box on the third, the glue did the trick on the point on the wagon and I held the spring on the point of a cocktail stick :thankyou:

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2022 at 18:54, Steadfast said:

I mentioned a few pages back, but I'll say again to save digging through, a little dab of superglue on one end of the spring works wonders on the Dapol N scale buckeye couplers. 

Jo

Hi Jo, many thanks for the tip - Thanks to DCC supplies who sent me two couplings (still waiting for the retailer's springs) I now have a complete working rake of 5 - As a matter of interest I first tried sliding the spring off a pin and onto the longer superglued projection but that had a major fingers/pin access problem,  so I then used a scalpel blade just jammed between the spring coils to lift it up and position it onto the same projection and that worked a treat - it then just slotted into position on the other pin again using the scalpel blade to position it.... too easy.  I will slide over the bit where initially I thought I could just replace a complete coupling (a really very bad move !!)   and ended up virtually dismantling a wagon .....and still failed;  but on the plus side I have a great deal of additional respect for the assemblers in the factory - The build is seriously complex and I can see why this wagon is in the £40-£50 category.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2021 at 17:03, Steadfast said:

I bought an inner wagon to measure up for sets of decals, seems quite a nice model all in. Has anyone else noticed the relationship between the axle boxes and the wheel sets? They're definitely not aligned, presumably to lower the flanges under the wagon. It looks so odd once you spot it. Most wagons have a recessed floor to allow for flanges, whereas Dapol have gone for a flat floor and lowering the wheelsets. Once you notice, you can't unsee it and it looks like the N model is similarly afflicted

Jo

Yes indeed!!

I've been messing with mine and very happy with the results and its fairly straightforward to fix.

This was how I raised the wheels up abit in the bogie frames.

Slice off the 2 small pips holding the metal pick-up/ wheel bearing etch/ the metal bit and it comes off after a tease with a blade easily enough.

It looks like the factory applied an amount of superglue to it to stick it to the side frames.

I took a coulpe of minutes to remove the glue from the metal part and the inside of the frames, it comes off really easily.

Clean up the parts.

Cut out a shim from plasticard and superglue it to the frame as shown in the pic. Leave a small gap of about .20 mm as this allows the metal part to drop down nicely flush on top of the shim. 

Next, make sure there's no old glue on the metal bit, and burnish with some emery cloth to give it some tooth.

Apply some glue to the face of it and drop it in the bogie frame. Fit a pair of clamps making sure its flush with the bogie frame and leave to dry.

It takes me about 15 minutes to do one bogie.

NOTE:

Thankfully, there's some wiggle room with regards to the dimples the axles run in and the recess's in the bogie side frames, just enough to allow that metal part to be raised upward about 1 mm ish whilst still being located properly inside  the bogie side frames.

Make sure this is cleaned up and straight!! 

Also ensure the old glue is removed from inside the frames, a quick scrape with a blade and it pings off easily.

j20220328_192526.jpg.b3a56033a9a82830292b7f1d335629bb.jpg

Remove remains of pips and glue on the shim observing that gap! About .3 of a mm.

20220328_192828.jpg.d3aaec932d34e4a8ee26b8c5e8241429.jpg

Apply some super glue to metal part, re-fit it, the pips on the metal will sit to the tops of the recesses moulded in the bogie frames, this insures they will be sqaure and level with each axle end. Fit some clamps and ensure its flush with the side frames- no gaps!!!!

20220328_193306.jpg.886b7abc30a0361b76bf8a7ed6c7060b.jpg

You can see the top of the mod here but once painted and fitted, its totally hidden from view.

20220328_193123.jpg.761ab4f68c939b9b4ec064dcf18e7698.jpg

Much better, before on left, after on right!

Its about 1 mm , not alot , but enough to improve the appearance.

1686047982_b4andafter.jpg.213858ea647b593ed7234edc36e81ec2.jpg

Before on left, after on right.

768076370_b4andafter4.jpg.6422363da6e74ba1206a1ad386e7389d.jpg

There is no impact on curves either, bogie still turns the same as it did before the modification. 

659567520_aftermod2.jpg.022a95b07a284ecb2abd9d33d42176b6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

4 hours ago, Gary H said:

Much better, before on left, after on right!

Its about 1 mm , not alot , but enough to improve the appearance.

Doesn't it just! Hopefully the N model will be better aligned, or at least less noticeable due to the size.

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Doesn't it just! Hopefully the N model will be better aligned, or at least less noticeable due to the size.

Jo

Yes, its certainly worth the little effort, I reckon one waggon is do-able in 25 minutes! Like you say, once you see the error, its hard to un see it.

The hardest part of the job is re-fitting the wheel set as there's virtually no room between the frames! It left me wondering if I had say EM or P4, i think you'd require new bogies to convert these to those gauges.

• RMweb Gold

@Gary HThis is very useful and thanks for the guide. I will be trying this myself.

This issue has been corrected in the 2nd batch. 

The only thing that worries me about these wagons is the weight. I think they are too heavy and will struggle even on the gentlest of inclines.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

@Gary HThis is very useful and thanks for the guide. I will be trying this myself.

This issue has been corrected in the 2nd batch. 

The only thing that worries me about these wagons is the weight. I think they are too heavy and will struggle even on the gentlest of inclines.

You're welcome!

Is there any way of knowing, without actually handling one, to differentiate between the first batch and the later batch? Thinking further, Ill have a look on Dapols site to see if there's a new list of wagon numbers, maybe that's the way?

Agree about the weight, its nice to have die cast underframes , ive had experiance of them in American H0 stuff, they can be heavy without being to heavy!

These are abit extreme.