Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

British Diesel Sounds on a Zimo, who does the best?

Paul-H

Hi all

Looking for some recommendation for Diesel sounds

I know everyone seems to recommend legomanbiffo but he only does ESU decoders and all of mine are Zimo

I normally use Youchoos but the latest one a class 66 is quite a dissapointment, so was wondering if any of the others might be worth a try.

Who would you recommend.

Paul

Hi all

I know everyone seems to recommend legomanbiffo but he only does ESU decoders and all of mine are Zimo

I normally use Youchoos but the latest one a class 66 is quite a dissapointment, so was wondering if any of the others might be worth a try.

Who would you recommend.

Paul

It  would have to be Paul Chetter /Digitrains

They have some great sounds  

It  would have to be Paul Chetter /Digitrains

They have some great sounds  

I would also recommend Digitrains and the Paul Chetter sound projects. All my locomotives have used this source and they have some excellent sounds 

Hi all

Who would you recommend.

Paul

I'm pleased you mentioned the Youchoos class 66 as this was the first of their sounds I had exsperienced in a pre-owned loco and after all the hype about them from a friend thought it a total let down.

I have tended to stick with Howes or more recently, Leggomanbiffo (DCK), but I had another look at the Digitrains site after reading this thread. I honestly cannot make head nor tail of it.

It was promising a while ago when "ActiveDrive" was beginning to be loaded on to new versions of the Zimo, and some YouTube demos were impressive. But only a few have been so loaded, yet Paul (on another thread) stated some time ago that he had done all the work and it was up to Digitrains to load them. But, as well as ActiveDrive, they now have Multi-Drive and Digi-Drive. The explanations of each seem spartan. There appears to be no obvious link to any samples so that you can hear them for yourself, without a long period on YouTube trying to nail down the correct examples - I gave up after the first two.

Whereas with Leggomanbiffo's versions, all these features seem to be available on any diesel (not sure about steam) as something called "Drivelock" (a version of which I have driven and it is a real step forward). It is also very easy to go to samples of the sounds of all(?) the chips via a simple link on their website. 

So, does anyone know what the difference is between all the various Digitrains chips, or a better way to navigate their website to find out? Or should I just stick with Charlie?

• Like 1

I have tended to stick with Howes or more recently, Leggomanbiffo (DCK), but I had another look at the Digitrains site after reading this thread. I honestly cannot make head nor tail of it.

It was promising a while ago when "ActiveDrive" was beginning to be loaded on to new versions of the Zimo, and some YouTube demos were impressive. But only a few have been so loaded, yet Paul (on another thread) stated some time ago that he had done all the work and it was up to Digitrains to load them. But, as well as ActiveDrive, they now have Multi-Drive and Digi-Drive. The explanations of each seem spartan. There appears to be no obvious link to any samples so that you can hear them for yourself, without a long period on YouTube trying to nail down the correct examples - I gave up after the first two.

Whereas with Leggomanbiffo's versions, all these features seem to be available on any diesel (not sure about steam) as something called "Drivelock" (a version of which I have driven and it is a real step forward). It is also very easy to go to samples of the sounds of all(?) the chips via a simple link on their website. 

So, does anyone know what the difference is between all the various Digitrains chips, or a better way to navigate their website to find out? Or should I just stick with Charlie?

Yes, I do.

Digitrains have a wide range of options for the same loco types. This means that not all Digitrains ZIMO sound projects sound or operate in exactly the same way. This gives choice and variety for their customers. This excess of choice may be confusing, so I'll give a little background. Things will be easier when their new wesite is up and running.

Firstly, ActiveDrive is available on all Digitrains sound projects and has been for a couple of years. Unfortunately, the website is sometimes (cough) a little behind the times. Speak to Jeremy or Nicole they will tell you what's what.

For descriptions, go to any ZIMO sound project listed and click on 'More Info'. There is a full description of the sound project in the form of downloadable User Notes. These are also supplied printed if you purchase the sound project.

Where a video clip featuring the specific project is available,  a link to it is provided. eg. http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zs35asl-class-35-activedrive-sl.aspx then click on the link below the project heading.

Since these projects, there have been further 'continuous improvements'. All diesel ActiveDrive projects have been updated to include Speed Lock, the equivalent of 'Drive Lock' on ESU, with the designation of ActiveDrive SL. These are the current versions, all other designations preceed them.

Multi-Drive were the first 'Drive' designated sound projects. They used the ZIMO ability to put more that one sound project on a single decoder to switch between types. The first Multi-Drive was the Class 37 and it had both a Class 37/0 and a Class 37/4 sound project on one decoder, so could be used for either type without a re-blow. This was during 2011, though there were various updates up to 2014/15.

These remain on the site because some returning customers still ask for these types specifically by name.

Digi-Drive were the next series originating from 2012. These were a step change from 'Multi-Drive' as new features I had been working on with ZIMO were introduced. Many of the dynamic effects (e,g,Heavy Train/ Light Engine modes) still incorporated in current projects originated in this series. Digi-Drive projects were updated regularly until ActiveDrive projects came on stream.

ActiveDrive projects brought together all the previous stuff with further dynamic features and the manually operated manual progressive brake feature which I designed with ZIMO, plus many small improvements which when used in conjunction with each other produced another step change in controlability. On one visit Jeremy said that it was no longer like operating a model loco, it now felt like he was actively driving each loco. The designation 'ActiveDrive' was born.

To sum up, as far as ZIMO projects I've created are concerned, if you want all the latest features including Speed Lock, then 'ActiveDrive SL' are the one's to go for. If you require legacy projects for any reason, choose one of the earlier types.

(If it were me, to simplify selection I would only display the latest versions. the legacy stuff would be avalable 'under the counter' for those who required them).

If you need any further clarification, please ask.

Why Zimo???   As we can remap certain functions to keep them similar to what you have.      Charlie

Because, Charlie, he already has a ZIMO decoder. Makes no sense to buy an ESU from anyone when he can get his ZIMO reblown for £15, does it?

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

I'm not going to differ. I think the current generation of Zimo decoders are well ahead of the opposition.

I use Paul Chetter's sounds whenever I can.

If in doubt telephone Digitrains -Jeremy and Nicole are nice people and they both know what they are talking about.

I'm just a satisfied customer.

John K

Edited by John K

Yes, I do.

Digitrains have a wide range of options for the same loco types. This means that not all Digitrains ZIMO sound projects sound or operate in exactly the same way. This gives choice and variety for their customers. This excess of choice may be confusing, so I'll give a little background. Things will be easier when their new wesite is up and running.

Firstly, ActiveDrive is available on all Digitrains sound projects and has been for a couple of years. Unfortunately, the website is sometimes (cough) a little behind the times. Speak to Jeremy or Nicole they will tell you what's what.

For descriptions, go to any ZIMO sound project listed and click on 'More Info'. There is a full description of the sound project in the form of downloadable User Notes. These are also supplied printed if you purchase the sound project.

Where a video clip featuring the specific project is available,  a link to it is provided. eg. http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/zs35asl-class-35-activedrive-sl.aspx then click on the link below the project heading.

Since these projects, there have been further 'continuous improvements'. All diesel ActiveDrive projects have been updated to include Speed Lock, the equivalent of 'Drive Lock' on ESU, with the designation of ActiveDrive SL. These are the current versions, all other designations preceed them.

Multi-Drive were the first 'Drive' designated sound projects. They used the ZIMO ability to put more that one sound project on a single decoder to switch between types. The first Multi-Drive was the Class 37 and it had both a Class 37/0 and a Class 37/4 sound project on one decoder, so could be used for either type without a re-blow. This was during 2011, though there were various updates up to 2014/15.

These remain on the site because some returning customers still ask for these types specifically by name.

Digi-Drive were the next series originating from 2012. These were a step change from 'Multi-Drive' as new features I had been working on with ZIMO were introduced. Many of the dynamic effects (e,g,Heavy Train/ Light Engine modes) still incorporated in current projects originated in this series. Digi-Drive projects were updated regularly until ActiveDrive projects came on stream.

ActiveDrive projects brought together all the previous stuff with further dynamic features and the manually operated manual progressive brake feature which I designed with ZIMO, plus many small improvements which when used in conjunction with each other produced another step change in controlability. On one visit Jeremy said that it was no longer like operating a model loco, it now felt like he was actively driving each loco. The designation 'ActiveDrive' was born.

To sum up, as far as ZIMO projects I've created are concerned, if you want all the latest features including Speed Lock, then 'ActiveDrive SL' are the one's to go for. If you require legacy projects for any reason, choose one of the earlier types.

(If it were me, to simplify selection I would only display the latest versions. the legacy stuff would be avalable 'under the counter' for those who required them).

If you need any further clarification, please ask.

Because, Charlie, he already has a ZIMO decoder. Makes no sense to buy an ESU from anyone when he can get his ZIMO reblown for £15, does it?

Best regards,

Paul

Many thanks for the very comprehensive reply Paul - I appreciate the time you have put into this.If only Digitrains would post this, word for word, on their website, and somewhere easily found.

I have spent a fair amount of time today trying to follow the advice you give for accessing the relevant info from the Digitrains site. In most cases, it simply is not there. For example, I tried every combination I could think of to access your sounds on a Zimo for a Class 33 diesel, but in vain. Then I tried several other Classes, with very limited success - some do indeed have a comprehensive function description for Zimo chips, ;particularly the 08 (and obviously written by you), but most are just ESU generic gobbledegook. They are not doing themselves, or you, any favours whatsoever. Let's hope the new website (is there a due date for that?) is significantly better.

Whatever the merits of the sound chips, if I cannot make a comparison, I will not buy simply on faith. It does not strike me (so perhaps many others) that a company who are trying to persuade us to pay a large amount of sovs for leading edge tech, cannot produce a customer friendly website to go with it, something achieved by the most menial of traders these days.

Kind regards

Edited by Mike Storey

Whist the Digitrains site isn't the easiest to navigate at first, it is worth searching because some of Mr Chetters sounds are awesome, so if a new site is on the way that's great news.

I was looking for an 08 sound decoder and none matched my requirements, that's because as a retired driver the sound had to perfect for me [ hard to please awkward git ]. I now have a Zimo fitted 08, with lights, with Mr C's  sounds and its as near to reality as you are going to get in my experience. I also have 25, 26, 37 and others but I need a Deltic and an 87, so hopefully Mr C will have a full range soon!

• Like 3

I'd support the votes for Digitrains. Jeremy is a very helpful guy and has always provided the goods in a timely fashion, plus his prices are usually competitive. I agree the site isn't easy all the time, but I suspect it's because there's only so many hours in the day and they've got their hands full - helping punters like me. Having said that, a good site does make a difference - I guess it's up to him how he runs his business but he can see the feedback here, of course...........

Cheers

Alun

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I find the website ‘difficult’ and as a result have so far only bought from Digitrains at shows. For balance the DC kits website isn’t exactly easy either though I have bought on line from it. I have several sound fired locos (steam and diesel) including Digitrains purchases and all are good. However the two standouts for me are both from DC Kits - the Locoman 8f and the Legoman Deltic. The latter is absolutely superb and I doubt anyone will better it within the constraints of current technology.

I find the website ‘difficult’ and as a result have so far only bought from Digitrains at shows. For balance the DC kits website isn’t exactly easy either though I have bought on line from it. I have several sound fired locos (steam and diesel) including Digitrains purchases and all are good. However the two standouts for me are both from DC Kits - the Locoman 8f and the Legoman Deltic. The latter is absolutely superb and I doubt anyone will better it within the constraints of current technology.

Any suggestions to make our website easier!!! as its all changing this year with some interesting features!   The Website currently is in Class order, with options on speakers.  One good thing is most 'Legomanbiffo' ESU decoders come with a 20mm X 40mm speaker & enclosure, which we order in specifically to avoid the common 23mm 'Cheap' speaker.  We can offer different ESU speakers rather than the 20X40mm

'IF' this will not fit at no extra charge, 'JUST ASK'  Also by ringing we can give you fitting advice on most models.

We are trying hard, and keep updating the current ranges with new recordings and features as time permits, last year was a record for us and we thank you for encouragement, comments and your support.  You might notice at shows we seem to enjoy this job!!!!!

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1