Lochgorm kits

I have just received a note via the Highland Railway Society chatline that, due to his continued ill health, Andrew Copp has stopped trading with immediate effect and no further orders will be accepted. It is described as a temporary closure but does not bode well as apparently JLTRT supplied some of the etchings for the range.

Not good but not to much of a shock. I spoke to Andy about a year ago and he did say that his heath was not good and didn't know how long he could go on for. He has been suffering  CBD for some time hence the reason he has scaled things back in resent years.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

I wish him all the best, but sadly, this is becoming an increasingly common tale in the kit world.  Few new producers have appeared over the last couple of decades and the old timers are either no longer with us or are having to retire or scale back for health reasons as they get older.  Few of them ever made a living out of it and it was, and is (at least such of it that remains) a cottage industry and a labour of love that seems to not have provided the income for effort expended perhaps expected by those who have taken up the reins with varying degrees of enthusiasm.  The modern world also requires an internet presence, and some websites are not very informative or even useable by potential customers.

It is a very great shame, but the world of kits is a declining and apparently doomed one.  With it may well go the world of retrofit motors, gears, and wheels, consigned to the dustbin of history.  The future is, we are repeatedly told, in 3D printing, but this has been around for a while now, and with the exception of the excellent and excellently marketed Modelu products, it hasn't happened yet!  Printers for anything but the smallest items are too expensive for cottage industrialists.

We are starting. to use the technology in anger as the price has now come down, with our new stock being "3D printed"

I have just sent the prototypes to the printers. The fight back has begun. Hopefully!

Marc

post-13539-0-49831500-1522600108.jpg

post-13539-0-24377300-1522600115.jpg

post-13539-0-02594900-1522600123.jpg

post-13539-0-84418100-1522600131.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 60B said:

Went looking for the website this morning and its disappeared. Taking it as news its no longer in operation?

At least it's disappeared, rather than the owner still taking orders and cash and never supplying! Along with broken promises.