Best Type Of Printer for Producing Transfers

I wonder if someone here can help point me in the right direction please?

I currently have an O Gauge 7mm BR Blue Heljan Domino Headcode Class 20 which I wish to produce a set of unique transfers to create 20197 when it carried a Nessie transfer in the headcode box on 26/01/1984 (pictured at Rannoch Station with 37265) with an early Beilheck Snowplough attached to the Class 20. Picture on Flikr taken by Spannerman37025.

Unfortunately Steve at Railtech has declined despite providing the dimensions of the Heljan Class 20 Headcode box.

Originally a member of my local Model Railway Group had planned to produce these on his printer but I believe his ex. partner has destroyed said printer.

Now I have a laser printer which if I am correct would just melt the transfer paper. Also, I am planning on binning my printer due to it having a faulty laser.

So, am I correct in thinking that I should go with an inkjet printer and can anyone recommend any makes?

I have searched online and all I could find was people who have the ALPS/OKI Printers from 18 years ago with massive stock piles of cartridges for these like Precision Labels. Now, I am surprised as I thought cartridges dry up if they are not used and past there use by date?

• RMweb Gold

You can buy decal paper designed for inkjets, and decal paper designed for laser printers. As long as you use the right sort in the right printer, there's no melting.

The ALPS/OKI printers were neither laser nor inkjet but used yet another process (thermal wax sublimation). The cartridges don't dry out, because they don't contain liquids, and I believe the cartridges are still made, just not the printers.

I've had very good experiences with laser printer transfer paper - the inkjet ones can be susceptible to running and/or smudging and all sorts of discolouring if you aren't careful with sealing them and making them waterproof after printing - inkjet ink is often water soluble, the last thing you want on a waterslide transfer!

However, I needed a few attempts to get the printer set up correctly for the laser paper - my first attempt I had the printer settings wrong and I ended up with big blobs of melted toner that wouldn't stick to the paper. Moral of the story: read the included instructions!

I've had success printing decals on a Canon MG5550 inkjet.

Also having previously owned HP and Epson inkjets I have found it does not suffer as many jet blockages as they did.

Remember to get the correct paper. Clear for putting on light objects and white for use on dark objects.

• RMweb Premium

Having played about making my own transfers using these printable transfer sheets, and as most printers can't do lighter shades without printing onto a white background, (why the alps printers are so valued as they can print white), I would suggest you use the white sheets rather than the clear ones. If you do choose an inkjet printer, then Epson certainly have always had the best and most versatile software, streets ahead of anyone else, and provided with all printers from the most basic up.

Izzy

There is more to buying  an inkjet printer than just the software.

As I stated I have owned HP inkjets (2 off)  and Epson inkjets (2 off) and all of them suffered badly from blocked jets requiring frequent cleaning routines even though I used their inks not 3rd party. Yes part pf the problem is not using them frequently enough.  In fact the last HP and Epson where both binned as working printers because they were costing me more in ink for cleaning than printing.

Another thing to avoid with inkjets are printers that use 1 cartridge for multiple colours because you end up changing the cartridge when only colour has run out.

Edited by 10000

Many thanks for everyone's help so far.

The transfer that I plan to print out is a white image with no other colours. I believe the original was printed on a clear background as it is white with a black background but the background is more likely to be the background of the black headcode box.

The added image is copyright Spannerman37025 and is just to highlight what I plan to achieve.

post-9111-0-53177600-1522691549_thumb.jpeg

Alps /OKI are much loved and I dont think  anything has replaced them at a practical level for printing metallics and whites  .I turned one down way back when  for 135 quid once brand new and have kicked myself every day since.I dont know what software is supported now .

• RMweb Premium

I think you could do that on an inkjet with white transfer paper.

Bear in mind that its not the white that is printed, its the black part which is printed round the natural white of the transfer paper. When you cut the transfer out you tend to get a white edge which will need touched in to match the headcode box. 

If you are using this technique  it does need a few goes to get the colour matched to the background, but short of buying an alps printer it is probably the simplest diy method. 

These transfers were made using white transfer paper, Not perfect, but try getting 1mm letraset these days ....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-18917-cr-diagram-3-wagon-build-painted-and-in-service/ 

With regard to printers I treated myself to an Epson ET - 2650 which uses liquid inks. So far, touch wood ( Disclaimers and things ) it seems to be efficient in its ink usage. I have been printing a lot of photo quality images for making a station building, seems to be making a decent job of it all. 

• RMweb Premium

Another thing to avoid with inkjets are printers that use 1 cartridge for multiple colours because you end up changing the cartridge when only colour has run out.

On the other hand the mutiple cartridge types cost more to feed.

I have an Epson R800 (6 cartridges) which just gobbles ink.

One cartridge needs replacing OK - it does a new cartridge prime (all 6 at once!) and hey-ho a second one now needs replacing, replace that, it primes again and now another, ad infinitum. It's now sitting on the shelf unused because it's impractical to use.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Many thanks for everyone's help so far.

The transfer that I plan to print out is a white image with no other colours. I believe the original was printed on a clear background as it is white with a black background but the background is more likely to be the background of the black headcode box.

The added image is copyright Spannerman37025 and is just to highlight what I plan to achieve.

Couldn't you do that with white ink in a Rotring pen? Damn sight cheaper than buying a printer, though there is a German laser printer that prints white toner – their website (in German) is https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/?locale=en

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't you do that with white ink in a Rotring pen? Damn sight cheaper than buying a printer, though there is a German laser printer that prints white toner – their website (in German) is https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/?locale=en

They are selling white toner, the printers are just part of a bundle.

David

Edited by Kylestrome

There is more to buying  an inkjet printer than just the software.

As I stated I have owned HP inkjets (2 off)  and Epson inkjets (2 off) and all of them suffered badly from blocked jets requiring frequent cleaning routines even though I used their inks not 3rd party. Yes part pf the problem is not using them frequently enough.  In fact the last HP and Epson where both binned as working printers because they were costing me more in ink for cleaning than printing.

The thing is, if you use an inkjet VERY heavily, the printers with an internal print head are to be preferred over the ones with the heads incorporated with the cartridge.  With colours in individual cartridges (even buying the manufacturers stuff) its cheaper than integral cartridges.  However, with infrequent use, the heads will block up, and a replacement head is more expensive than an entire new printer.  If an integral cartridge blocks up because it hasn't been used for a few months/weeks/days...  then you "just" have to replace the errant cartridge.

In other words, if you want individually replaceable ink cartridges, you need to be sure that you'll be doing a lot of printing!