Guarantee returns

spikey

(Mods please move if this is in the wrong section)

I recently bought a Hornby J50 by mail order from an established shop and it was immediately apparent that all was not well in the motor/gears department. Rang the shop, let them listen to the racket, and they said "No problem, send it back, we'll email you a free returns label."

Excellent customer service, but it's left me wondering - how much is the shop out of pocket when it comes to guarantee returns? Presumably the shop bounce it back to Hornby (in this case), who then credit the shop/send a replacement. But by that point the shop's stood my return postage plus postage to Hornby, as well as staff time and packaging costs. Do they get refunded for that, or is it all part of the cost of doing business?

Just wondering how it works nowadays ...

Edited by spikey

I do a lot of mail order work (although in a different sector not models) and broadly speaking it has to be viewed as an occupational hazard and you have to budget for the costs associated with a given level of returns

We run at a returns rate of circa 1% of transactions (of which about half are change of mind) and once the relevant courier and processing costs are factored in it still only comes to about 20p an order across the entire order book

To put it in context we reckon on a negative review on eBay costing us about £3,000 in lost sales over the following 4 week period - makes it worthwhile looking after customers when you are small business - you can ultimately charge a bit of a premium for proven good service

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

...To put it in context we reckon on a negative review on eBay costing us about £3,000 in lost sales over the following 4 week period - makes it worthwhile looking after customers when you are small business - you can ultimately charge a bit of a premium for proven good service

Gosh, that's scarey when you consider how Ebay's so biased in favour of the buyer nowadays ...

• RMweb Premium

Not exactly related but I have a model I need to return and the seller is insistent that I cover the return postage which also must be tracked. Is that right or are companies obliged to cover return postage also?

Not exactly related but I have a model I need to return and the seller is insistent that I cover the return postage which also must be tracked. Is that right or are companies obliged to cover return postage also?

You should refer to the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the return cost wouldn't apply where the goods are faulty.

Of course the situation with a private seller on eBay may be different

I bought an H class and an original Bulleid 'Royal Mail'Merchant Navy class from a large shop that does mail orders. They both had faults with the motors: the H class from the outset and the Bulleid after I had run it for six months. As I wanted to keep the locomotives I returned them to Hornby to repair. I sent them by Royal Mail insured up to a value of £500 each which cost about £8 for the H class and £11 for 'Royal Mail.' I was not expecting Hornby to refund the postage but I sent them by insured post for my own peace of mind.

Not only did Hornby repair both engines free of charge but they also refunded my postage so perhaps Hornby does this with retailers as well.

Bachmann also repaired an N class which I returned with a known production fault about two years after I bought it free of charge and Peco replaced a faulty point free of charge that I also returned a couple of years after I bought it.

• Like 1

Could you not contact Hornby directly for a warranty repair? You used to be able to do this.

Since the change of management team last October, the practice during the warranty period is to return the item to the dealership, who will in turn forward it for Hornby to repair.

Goods out of warranty can be returned direct.

I do a lot of mail order work (although in a different sector not models) and broadly speaking it has to be viewed as an occupational hazard and you have to budget for the costs associated with a given level of returns

We run at a returns rate of circa 1% of transactions (of which about half are change of mind) and once the relevant courier and processing costs are factored in it still only comes to about 20p an order across the entire order book

To put it in context we reckon on a negative review on eBay costing us about £3,000 in lost sales over the following 4 week period - makes it worthwhile looking after customers when you are small business - you can ultimately charge a bit of a premium for proven good service

I think this is an area that consumers fail to realise with online shopping and distance selling rules. A retailer has to factor in to their selling rice the cost of returns.

Firstly (  as I understand it) a buyer has 2 weeks (or is it 4) to return the goods if they decide not to buy for whatever reason.

Then you have a separate set of rules regarding faulty goods, which I think within a certain amount of time is at the retailers expense

Lastly as written there is a good case for the retailer to accept/pay certain things for commercial purposes, good will to customers is seen as good customer relations by some companies. In the end its all built into the sale price ultimately paid for by the customer

Edited by hayfield

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Gosh, that's scarey when you consider how Ebay's so biased in favour of the buyer nowadays ...

Not  nescessarilly  eBay  have  supported  me  several  times, from  buyers  who  have  'tried it  on' to  gain  advantage  from  me!  (Stevesoller on eBay)

To answer the main question - no, manufacturers do not reimburse retailers for the costs associated with returns.

As a distance seller, the retailers have quite a lot weighted against them from customers that either can’t make up their minds (and treat the retailer like a library) or are really fussy (e.g. ‘my box has a very small crease on the corner’).

• RMweb Premium

To answer the main question - no, manufacturers do not reimburse retailers for the costs associated with returns.

As a distance seller, the retailers have quite a lot weighted against them from customers that either can’t make up their minds (and treat the retailer like a library) or are really fussy (e.g. ‘my box has a very small crease on the corner’).

Or those that they've bought something and then is too complicated for them to use...........

Some customers whether using mail order or direct sales do seem to take advantage of any genuine offer by customers, don't forget this includes theft and damage with retail organisations, both of which online suppliers can pass on to the carrier.

As far as buyers go a few are downright dishonest, some wanting to take advantage but others attracted by the opportunity to view and return if its not what they wanted as per the terms of trading

Also there are a few dodgy traders (as there are in conventional retail businesses) which the general public need protecting from