Tortoise

When using a tortoise point motor they have a slight rock to them when placed like they are mounted, this is due to how there made. I have noticed stress lines in the side flanges where the screws fix after mounting, this is caused by pressure on the center part of the base and the sides pull down as you fix screws. I now place a piece of thin plastic card along the edges where the screws fix so the motor sits on these and no rocking occurs. I have had a motor actually fall off the layout due to complete failure of the flange.

Andy

Have to agree as I've noticed something similar.  I just make sure not to over tighten the mounting screws. A plastic strip either side is probably a better solution as I do have two motors where the screw slot has broken away in one position. I've kept these two as spare parts, although have yet to replace anything as the motors are pretty well bullet proof.

• RMweb Gold

I've got over 60 over these fitted and found that they can be secured quite well with only two screws instead of 4. So long as they can't move there's no problem with operation. 

Edited by RFS

Had to laugh, Dave as your experience is the opposite to mine....:-)

I've fitted 36 of the 60 I have in stock and they've all showed a similar condition. They are all labelled 0805, so I assume were made in August 2005.

Here's a pic showing the gap either side against a straight edge.

I stress it's not an issue for me and they all work perfectly (apart from the two broken slots).  I'm just careful with the screw tension.

post-6950-0-80723200-1522916855_thumb.jpg

Edited by gordon s

Had to laugh, Dave as your experience is the opposite to mine....:-)

I've fitted 36 of the 60 I have in stock and they've all showed a similar condition. They are all labelled 0805, so I assume were made in August 2005.

Here's a pic showing the gap either side against a straight edge.

I stress it's not an issue for me and they all work perfectly (apart from the two broken slots). I'm just careful with the screw tension.

attachicon.gifDSCF9248.jpg

Your photo shows the issue very nicely. Even when you mount normally with no mods the actual operation works as expected. But even with the mod I also found you have to be careful overnighting the screws. I did in fact repair the broken with super glue it worked a treat and I further put plastic card over the base to reinforce further.

I did contact circutron about the raised centre and was told it's part of the manufacturing process and aids removal from the molds.

Andy

Edited by Andymsa

• RMweb Gold

Another option when fitting is to use double-sided sticky pads to hold the motor in position so that you can then have both hands free to fit the screws. 

Gordon...yours are already out of warranty... :mosking:

Hang on...so are mine... :O

Don't the Americans put there year first so 08/05 should mean 10 years this year

Just googled it it's mm/dd/year

Andy

Edited by Andymsa

As a footnote, I still prefer the tortoise over any other motor. And how many products do you get a 10year warranty.

Andy

Jury's still out for me, and DCC Concepts give a Lifetime Warranty on all their motors and levers.

Another option when fitting is to use double-sided sticky pads to hold the motor in position so that you can then have both hands free to fit the screws. 

I use this method as well.

The sticky tape will take out any unevenness in the  tortoise base plate as well as holding the motor while the screws are fitted. I use only two screws in opposite corners.

I also make sure that the adjustable fulcrum is set so that the point blades are not held over too firmly.

They only need to be held over not welded shut.

Tony.

I also make sure that the adjustable fulcrum is set so that the point blades are not held over too firmly.

They only need to be held over not welded shut.

Tony.

This is something to be aware of if you put a stiffer wire in place than the supplied one

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I didn't actually bother with screws due to using thin ply baseboard top. Simply stuck them to the baseboard with exceptionally sticky double sided tape.. The were difficult to remove when I scrapped the layout because I'd used thin ply to make the baseboards.................

• RMweb Premium

Cobalt motors come with a thick foam pad with adhesive both sides.

The recommendation is to mount it with the foam pad and screws and a few days later, back off the screws letting the pad do all the work. The flexible mounting results in quieter operation than a rigidly mounted motor

If you paint or seal the wood, the foam pad sticks like smelly brown stuff to the proverbial blanket.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

The recommendation is to mount it with the foam pad and screws and a few days later, back off the screws letting the pad do all the work. 

I tried that with my Tortoises, but the constant passage of heavy freight trains above caused 2 or 3 of them to drop off. So I resorted to 2 screws in opposite corners but not done up too tight.  Belt and braces you might say ....

I tried that with my Tortoises, but the constant passage of heavy freight trains above caused 2 or 3 of them to drop off. So I resorted to 2 screws in opposite corners but not done up too tight.  Belt and braces you might say ....

I use the sticky pads to hold the tortoise while I make sure its working the point correctly.

I then place two screws diagonally across from each other.

I also found that if the wood was sealed then the pads got a better grip.