D6814 - Green to Blue Repaint Date

Pixie

Evening Pix,

Here's a thought mate.... if it was reallocated to another depot after the date of the green photo, it means it may have gone into Donny Works 'in between' for overhaul and come out in corporate blue.

It happened quite a lot with 08s in the 60s and 70s so it's possible... wink.gif

HTH,

Nidge

I like the logic Nidge! Quick glance it seems that 6814 moved from Tinsley to Thornaby in October '71 so it's certainly a rough date to consider if nothing more solid comes forward.

Although split'ers were very much in the minority around Cardiff it seemed that quite a few of the Tinsley machines made it to South Wales on various duties. Depsite being two years before my year of choice, BV's photo of 6814 on a trip working up to Radyr added a little more fuel to my reasoning that I could get away with one and before I knew it a donor Bachy model was acquired. I've got photos of a handful of the Tinsley split'ers around Cardiff but I particularly fancy 6814 in green as I used to see it as 37114 knocking around Didcot.

Thanks to another kind soul on the forum (You know who you are!) I also picked up a blue splitter to transform into 6798, seen here on the return working back north. (Photo copyright Brian Tucker - Used with permission) Just need to finish building the other 22 Canton and Llandore allocated tractors I've got on the 'bench now to help dilute these two rarities!

6798w.jpg

Pix

Guest Max Stafford

For the most part what I've gleaned from photographic evidence seems to suggest that most 37s seemed to go from green to blue during the course of 1971. This deduction is made from the fact that with very few observed exceptions, most of the locos were still green in 1970, but the reverse is true in 1972-3 photos.

I might be wrong, but this view is based on my own empirical evidence.

Dave.

If considering the whole mainline fleet I'd tend to agree with you Dave - I can't quote any numbers but '71 seemed to be the year that blue shifted from the minority to a majority.

As for 37's, I can't vouch for the other regions but South Wales seemed to be a lot slower at repainting theirs although there were some early recipients. Russell Saxton suggests that this was probably as these were the last to be delivered so overhauls and repainted didn't come round until later on which seems logical to me. One thing I'd love to know was when the last green with small yellow panels 37 disappeared - the latest I've seen is D6841 in 1970 when it was a Polmadie loco (Although it returned to Landor in '72). If any WR machines made it to '71 without getting full yellows or blue it'd be on the 'to-do' list in seconds!

Pix

Pixie,

Regarding Green SYP EE type 3's the latest dated pics I have in S Wales are 6600 1969/04, 6601 1969/02 and 6890 1969/06 so try searching for other pics of these 3. I have very vague recolections of a D66xx'er being GSYP in the early 1970s so it may have happened. Or or course it could have just been so filthy it looked like that!

Stay off the 'splitters', they were so different they will spoil the mix for S.Wales as they were so rare.......

Cheers Tony

• 5 months later...

I can't be of much more help as 37s are my bete noir as far as livery changes go. Green sept 69, blue by may/june 1971 but thats all I have.

Max Stafford opined that most 37s went green to blue circa 1971 but this is not the case. Repaints began in 1967 and were done as general overhauls fell due with the older split box machines going blue far earlier than the later built 4 character headcode batch.

A fair few remained green long enough to run as TOPS locos but just one (37009) was a splitter. The last few remained green till 1976, it seems hard to believe that these machines did not have a general repair for 9 years and i think a few were outshopped in green after generals. This happened with 40s and 47s too.

As for the last GSYP loco, 6841 is indeed the last known in Autumn 1970.

Reallocations as a rule do not happen after a general overhaul, depots send their worst machines to other sheds.

If considering the whole mainline fleet I'd tend to agree with you Dave - I can't quote any numbers but '71 seemed to be the year that blue shifted from the minority to a majority.

As for 37's, I can't vouch for the other regions but South Wales seemed to be a lot slower at repainting theirs although there were some early recipients. Russell Saxton suggests that this was probably as these were the last to be delivered so overhauls and repainted didn't come round until later on which seems logical to me. One thing I'd love to know was when the last green with small yellow panels 37 disappeared - the latest I've seen is D6841 in 1970 when it was a Polmadie loco (Although it returned to Landor in '72). If any WR machines made it to '71 without getting full yellows or blue it'd be on the 'to-do' list in seconds!

Pix

Sadly I don't think theres photos or diaries Pix, but I'm just writing up a chapter in my book about three BS secondmen who had a redundant move to Radyr the week before Christmas 1971. One returned 8 months later and the other two returned exactly a year later. At that time there was only one job which wasn't an EE type 3, that being the tripper to Cathays with a "350".

Will probe more and let you know if any concrete info / piccies result.

D6796 still GSYWP 22/11/70.

Ahah! Most interesting. This is one I have little gen for (37s are by far my worst class) and all i have is there is no record of it having GFYE and it was Rail Blue by Summer 1971.

What evidence do you have for this as this is the latest report of a GSYP 37 I know of. As I say 6841 is the last KNOWN but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see others as the 37s are by far the least photgraphed main line class in the 70s.

Popular myth Russell. It wasn't up to individual depots what specific locomotives were re-allocated it was entirely done at regional (or in some cases Divisional) level. There's was just the when!

Which would explain why the 31s sent to the WR in the early 70s were by and large, spanners! Most were in green too which means long time no works. The Er dumping it's rubbish.

I don't know, I'd have thought (maybe wrongly) that depots would be told to send x numbers of 37s to such and such a depot and they'd send all the nails but on this I stand to be corrected.

Archived