Hattons offer

MOH

Hi, as an absolute novice to DCC sound can I ask if anyone has any knowledge/experience of the sound decoder currently on offer from Hattons at circa £32, is this the very bottom of the range and do you just replace the existing non-sound decoder with these?

There is a limited range on offer, mostly diesel engines with a smattering of steam engines, I am curious regarding these decoders true value and relevance to the engines they are being listed with

Many thanks for those responses,

Just to prove my incompetence with technology I do not know how to post a link, one of the items has the Hattons product code Hornby R8118 TTS which refers to a class 20.

As a possible starting point into DCC sound then these represent reasonable value, if so do I just remove the existing decoder and replace them with these ones and all other elements will work as before but with the addition of sound?

Sorry to be a complete numpty here but better to show my ignorance than make assumptions

One of the items has the Hattons product code which refers to a class 20 Hornby R8118 TTS

The TTS decoders tend to have 8-pin plugs, which R8118 does, but check what you intend fitting it into. Many of Bachmann's newer locomotives have 21-pin interfaces, including their class 20s, although older class 20s, and Hornby's own ex-Lima class 20 have 8-pin sockets.

If you intend fitting into a newer class 20 from Bachmann, there are adapters to go from 21-pin to 8-pin, but there isn't a great deal of clearance inside the Bachmann 20 for the adapter plus decoder plug, and the Hornby speaker will also need to be replaced with something physically smaller. the Hornby class 20 has a bit more free space inside though.

I think you will find the Class 20 TTS decoder comes with a smaller rectangular speaker rather than the default 28mm round one, Previous forum discussion on the Class 20 indicated that this speaker was a direct fit.

Rob

If you want any support, I did this with a Class 08.

Bought the Hornby 08 but needed a decoder. It would have cost about £20-£25 for one but found a website selling the sound decoders for about £40.

The seller suggested I take advantage of their fitting service (at extra cost), but I declined as I could fit it myself easily. Turns out it was a bit of a dodgy decoder and the seller said they wouldn't accept a return (and I should have used their fitting service). Hornby gave me a couple of settings to try and I reseated the decoder - now everything works fine.

If you're happy with the sounds, it can be a cheaper way than buying a DCC Sound loco outright.

Seen Richard's videos with the new speakers, of which I plan to upgrade mine in the near future.