RMweb

Help me get out of the dog house

Hi all

I need some urgent help

Having just had new beige carpet laid someone who shalt remain nameless has managed to trad black tack into it.

How do I get this evil stuff out without damaging the new carpet

Thanks in advance for any help with this

Paul

Hi all

I need some urgent help

Having just had new beige carpet laid someone who shalt remain nameless has managed to trad black tack into it.

How do I get this evil stuff out without damaging the new carpet

Thanks in advance for any help with this

Paul

Hi Paul,

Not sure what the chemical make-up of 'Black Tack' is, but when I was on one of my building site a few months ago I stuck my finger into a heavy duty damp-proof capping which was bonded to a drainage membrane with some pretty serious black tacky adhesive. Got the black tacky adhesive onto my hand, was like a tar. Asked the foreman for some swarfega thinking this would be best. To my surprise the guys sprayed WD40 onto my hands. It broke down the black adhesive. Dry paper towels to wipe my hand and another spray of WD40 and I was then able to easily wash the whole stuff off with soap and warm water.

I do not know whether WD40 will work for you, recommend testing on a small patch first, but as you seem to have already done some serious damage it cannot make it really worse.

Please note that I said wash after in warm water. Hot water can chemically change things permanently.

HTH.

Edited by Damo666

• RMweb Gold

Brake cleaner could be your friend here

It dissolves dirt then vaporizes

Ibuse it for cleaning all sorts and has got loads of stains out of carpets and upholstery over the years

WD will leave a stain

1. Tell her it's her fault for requesting such an impractical colour.

2. If (1) fails then get rid.

3. Www.emirates.com offer flights to the Far East from just £449.

4. Whole new set of rules there and kiss half your pension and assets goodbye.

Ps pinch of salt etc..l

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have been here myself!

Not popular either.

Remove as much of the visible stuff as possible

Then Some gentle solvent - white spirit or turps

Followed by a do with Vanish carpet cleaner

This did the job on our biscuit coloured carpet - but suggest you test on a small patch first!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Ynot sure about this particular stain, but I have used Goo Gone quite successfully to remove a multitude of stains.

As Phil says, try it on a small patch before using it in anger!

Steve

Remove anything loose that doesn't do damage to the carpet pile as you remove it.

Consult carpet supplier or manufacturer for advice before applying anything else to the carpet, have as much information to hand on the 'black tack' as you can gather.

As already suggested, check terms of insurance, and don't forget to check if anything in this line has been 'bundled' with the carpet purchase.

• RMweb Gold

The fact that this has happened and the boss has found out by now probably means that, whatever solution (literally) you might find to get the tacky out, you are basically looking at replacing the carpet, if not a sustained campaign of flowers, chocolates, and meals out on top of it.  We will try to give you decent prices for the stock you have to sell to fund this...

Opportunist, moi?

• Like 1

As white wine supposedly sorts out red wine stains, could you try treading white tack into it?

In all seriousness, I'd seek advice from the professionals - the black tack manufacturer who may be able to advise on appropriate solvents and the carpet manufacturer who could advise on which solvents are safe. Failing that, a professional carpet cleaning company.

• RMweb Gold

Steam cleaning perhaps?  Or it may even paradoxically be better to let the stuff harden and 'go off' before it can be broken down and got out.  I agree that manufacturer's recommendations, both tack and carpet, is the way to go, though.

IF you survive the encounter with the boss...

• Like 1

Steam cleaning perhaps?  Or it may even paradoxically be better to let the stuff harden and 'go off' before it can be broken down and got out.  I agree that manufacturer's recommendations, both tack and carpet, is the way to go, though.

IF you survive the encounter with the boss...

Saw a couple of guys steam cleaning chewing gum off the pavement this morning, and it made me think of this thread. Maybe too harsh for carpet? Could be worth giving one of these firms a call.

• RMweb Gold

In all seriousness, I'd seek advice from the professionals - the black tack manufacturer who may be able to advise on appropriate solvents and the carpet manufacturer who could advise on which solvents are safe. Failing that, a professional carpet cleaning company.

I agree, I would contact a professional carpet cleaning company, if they are unable to remove it, then what`s the likelihood of you succeeding where they have failed?

Although all these suggestions sound quite good, but they could make the situation much worst, leaving you with a permanent stain which even the professionals will not be able to remove. 

Black Tac is stronger industrial strength version of Blue Tac, so although it sounds counter productive, I would have thought dabbing the deposits in the carpet with a bigger blob of the Black Tac may extract the residue onto the big blob.

That's how I remove Blue and Black Tac from other surfaces.