Unrebuilt wc/bob loco models

darren chpamn

• RMweb Gold

I've already done Hawkinge from a first issue Tangmere as I got a train-pack Tangmere later. I probably have enough Squadrons to be going on with.

What I'd really like to see is a couple of wide-cab locos that lost their 5500g. tenders in the rebuilding programme and received cut-down 4500g.examples in return. 

It's the one reasonably common combination that Hornby so far haven't touched at all.

Also 34102 Lapford with cut-down 5500g tender, please. That should require the rebuilt-style ash-pans, possibly via adapting the rebuilt chassis to go under the air-smoothed body though Hornby didn't seem to catch much flak for ignoring that requirement on Blandford Forum.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

As we invariably look down on locos, the position of the safety valves is my preoccupation with Bulleids. The OP needs to identify his era and thus whether boiler pressure would have been reduced or not, leading to the altered position of the valves.

As we invariably look down on locos, the position of the safety valves is my preoccupation with Bulleids. The OP needs to identify his era and thus whether boiler pressure would have been reduced or not, leading to the altered position of the valves.

I tend to think there was no such thing as an 'unrebuilt' Bulleid pacific until there was such a thing as a 'rebuilt' Bulleid pacific ................ by which time they'd all been reduced in pressure ....

.......... alternately, there's no such thing as an 'un-rebuilt' Bulleid pacific until someone takes a 'rebuilt' Bulleid pacific and un-rebuilds it !

( Maybe we should stick to calling them 'air-smoothed' and 'rebuilt' ??!? )

I tend to think there was no such thing as an 'unrebuilt' Bulleid pacific until there was such a thing as a 'rebuilt' Bulleid pacific ................ by which time they'd all been reduced in pressure ....

.......... alternately, there's no such thing as an 'un-rebuilt' Bulleid pacific until someone takes a 'rebuilt' Bulleid pacific and un-rebuilds it !

( Maybe we should stick to calling them 'air-smoothed' and 'rebuilt' ??!? )

Original (unsullied as God and Oliver Bulleid intended...)

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

I use these on all my Hornby unrebuilts choosing the correct pattern ashpans to suit the releavant loco being modelled.

http://www.rtmodels.co.uk/rt_models_026.htm

I've been doing that ever since I bought an over-optimistically copious supply from Albert Goodall of fond memory, they are one item I haven't needed to replenish from RT yet.

His nice strong brass steps and ladders are a big improvement on Albert's original whitemetal ones, though. 

I must confess, I haven't got round to doing my Blandford Forum, yet...........

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Air-smoothed Bulleid Pacifics received numerous alterations long before the rebuilding programme commenced, and a few afterwards (cut-down tenders, AWS etc.).

Original is therefore a risky word to use as it implies "as-built", and that changed, almost from one loco to the next, as production went on, especially in SR days. Later developments were retro-fitted to earlier locos fairly assiduously and, in the main, quite quickly. A fairly standardised "look" had emerged by the time of nationalisation, and that pattern was continued under BR, albeit with wider cabs and tenders on the lightweights.  

I prefer "non-rebuilt" for those that were never rebuilt and simply "air-smoothed" for those that later were.

John

Someone would do well to produce an original cab (from resin maybe), that acted as a direct replacement for the modified cabs that are the only ones available. I would certainly buy a few..

I know there are the whitemetal sides, but they are not as simple as they seem.